TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 2180cc engine
Tait D Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:55 pm

Could i install a 2180 in my 1974 thing without destroying the transmission?
thanks
-tait

Glenn Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:20 pm

Depends on the state of tune and how you drive it.

Tait D Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:30 pm

I'm 16. so i might wanna ride it hard, but not to the point where its suicidal.

Van-go108 Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:45 pm

Sorry Captain, but this seemed appropriate. :lol:

Glenn Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:53 pm

I broke a stock tranny with a bone stock 1600.

Trust me... you'll have your foot into it until it breaks.

Tait D Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:57 pm

so you recommend that I don't put it in? im just trying not to destroy my baby

Glenn Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:58 pm

No... just done't be surprised if it fails.

Tait D Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:05 pm

thanks for all the insight, much appreciated

MercurialThing Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:08 pm

Van-go108 wrote:
Sorry Captain, but this seemed appropriate. :lol:

DUDE, that was hilarious! :lol: I could just hear that Mach 5 jump noise (chun-cha-cha-cha).

Ok, seriously tho'...
"I'm 16. so i might wanna ride it hard"
Then... you might wanna change your tranny, because if you lean on a stock transmission with a 2.2 litre engine... you're going to break it.

Tait D Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:18 pm

ya i enjoyed the picture as well

Ian Epperson Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:56 pm

MercurialThing wrote:
Ok, seriously tho'...
"I'm 16. so i might wanna ride it hard"
Then... you might wanna change your tranny, because if you lean on a stock transmission with a 2.2 litre engine... you're going to break it.
X2!

I've busted my hardened tranny with my 2.3 liter twice now. The first time was too easy, then I fixed the wheel hop (tightened the extra tranny reinforcements) and beat on it harder for a few more months. This last time, I ripped all the teeth off of 1st gear.

Don't want it to break? Get an 091 with a Gene Berg conversion kit to make it fit properly. You'll also have to replace the axles (a bit shorter on each side) and redo the mounts - all in all about $2400ish. Too rich for me for now, so I'm seeing if they can't get me an even stronger 1st gear.

Tait D Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:43 pm

i do not have the funds for a gene burg transmission. what would happen if i started in second, assuming first would have too much torque

Ian Epperson Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:54 pm

I've always thought that starting in 2nd was just a way getting the wheels to spin harder. I think 1st can take more punishment as the engine has better leverage - it should be less tension on the gears. This is probably a better question for the performance forum though.

BTW, being that you're only up in Los Altos, you should come down to BLTN this Thursday night in Santa Clara. I'll be there around 9 and we can talk more about what it takes to put a big engine in a Thing.

Tait D Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:57 pm

great, hope to see you there

74 Thing Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:27 pm

NAG meet in Pleasanton on Friday as well
nagvw.com

spaeth Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:36 pm

Just remember that building a big, affordable, reliable engine is like most things in life...you can only get two of these choices at a time. You can get a big engine affordably, but it is going to break! You can get a big reliable motor, but it is going to cost you.

If I was back in high school again I would rebuild my own 1600 maybe up to a 1776 and use the most bomber parts I could afford. Spend tons of time balancing everything and really understand how it all goes together. You would save yourself a ton of time and money. That way later on when money is not as tight you will have the knowledge to build your own big motor.

I had a 2110 for a while and it could spin the tires in 2nd gear no problem but I could only drive at 55 or it would over heat. I fought that thing forever. The bigger the motor the closer to the thermal efficiency line you are running. Everything needs to be thought out to work well together. This means size of carbs need to match the size of the valves needs to match the size of the exhaust, the compression ratio has to be correct etc...etc....

If you are going to go big displacement and really use that power, you are going to need to upgrade, suspension, brakes and engine mounts and transmission. If not you are asking for trouble and more expense.

Big motors can be cool, but they sure can eat up money fast.

Hope this helps,
Craig

Glenn Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:05 am

A good friend has a DRD built 2275 in his 65 with the stock tranny. So far he's not destroyed it... but give him time.

Tait D Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:19 pm

Thanks everyone