TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Decklid center brake light style changes Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
happyhippo Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:19 pm

Hey folks,
Everett and I were exchanging some emails about decklid brakelight styles. Seems there is no definitive posting on when the style changed from the barndoor style to the later, 56-57 style (pictured). The change probably happened sometime in 1955, but does anyone know the correct month that the change was made?

Early style

Late style

NOS late style

EverettB Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:11 pm

I searched Progressive Refinements and did not find anything.

I was thinking maybe all Wolfsburg Buses used the earlier style.

Rain's Westy Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:25 am

my bus ( Wolfsburg production Jan, 56) chassies # 1624XX used the later bulb holder as pictured above .

campingbox Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:12 am

My July '55, October '55, and January '56 busses all had the later style bulbholder when found.

EverettB Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:58 am

Thanks campingbox.

Here's a photo of the earlier style for reference

zimblewinder Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:31 am

My Euro 58 has the early type as above.

Rain's Westy Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:55 am

I have seen the "early type" bulb holder on german market cars in the 56-57 era .
I suspect the bayonet brake light bulb holder was a Canada and US market thing for some reason wile the older barndoor type continued to be used over the ocean...
thoughts?

zimblewinder Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:08 am

Aussie busses have the early model too until at least 58

EverettB Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:54 am

Now that I think about it, that Euro '57 Single Cab that has like 3,000 original KMs has the early style brake-light assembly. I remember thinking that was weird.

More pics of this truck
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=kilometer+single+cab

thom Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:19 am

mike spadafora wrote: I have seen the "early type" bulb holder on german market cars in the 56-57 era .

For the record, those are called 'festoon' bulbs.

g shepherd Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:07 pm

Quote: My Euro 58 has the early type as above.

Same with my Euro Sept 56.

jerry.t Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:15 pm

g shepherd wrote: Quote: My Euro 58 has the early type as above.

funny, lind and everet have both told me that my 58 euro wouldn't use a brake light deck lid.

campingbox Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:23 pm

jerry.t wrote: g shepherd wrote: Quote: My Euro 58 has the early type as above.

funny, lind and everet have both told me that my 58 euro wouldn't use a brake light deck lid.

Brakelight decklids went up to April '58 for the semaphore models. My '58 Westy is about 200 VIN #'s past the change. =(

jerry.t Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:25 pm

campingbox wrote: jerry.t wrote: g shepherd wrote: Quote: My Euro 58 has the early type as above.

Brakelight decklids went up to April '58 for the semaphore models. My '58 Westy is about 200 VIN #'s past the change. =(

damn just missed it, may 58 here. but i still want one :D

mightymouse Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:27 pm

jerry.t wrote: g shepherd wrote: Quote: My Euro 58 has the early type as above.

Seems to be a helluvalot of confusion about 3rd light lids anyways, always has been. We know what/when they mainly came on in the US, but overseas, per country, theres some crazy stuff that went on.
My fav is the dollar tail busses that came with 3rd light lids. there have been quite a few found over the years. i wish i knew how many weeks they did that for, cant be for very long. prob april and may. LOL.

campingbox Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:56 pm

mightymouse wrote:
My fav is the dollar tail busses that came with 3rd light lids. there have been quite a few found over the years. i wish i knew how many weeks they did that for, cant be for very long. prob april and may. LOL.

I don't think that combination existed, but I'd love to see you prove me wrong.

Brian_1952 Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:00 pm

campingbox wrote: mightymouse wrote:

I don't think that combination existed, but I'd love to see you prove me wrong.

That is real hard to do..because you are the master

StockNazi Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:59 am

I have a euro November 58 and it has the ealier style brakelight as well

BeaterBarndoor Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:13 pm

EverettB wrote: Thanks campingbox.

what i am curious about is the brakebulb contact base. in this photo it is a plastic round base(which ricardo has repop'd according to this one i guess)
any "real" brakelight contact bases i have noticed were always like the photo of the later one above using a fiber board base.
is this one here a fake as well?

campingbox Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:08 pm

BeaterBarndoor wrote: EverettB wrote: Thanks campingbox.

what i am curious about is the brakebulb contact base. in this photo it is a plastic round base(which ricardo has repop'd according to this one i guess)
any "real" brakelight contact bases i have noticed were always like the photo of the later one above using a fiber board base.
is this one here a fake as well?

The one pictures is a NOS unit, but it is a later replacement and differs from the original in several ways.