TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: looking for a new town to move to Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
norcalmike Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:02 pm

My wife and i decided to ditch the house in California and move to a new town for fun.
pacific northwest or the midwest somewhere.

i have a commercial license and she does clerical work.
easy jobs to find anywhere, im sure.

i was wondering if anyone would chime in and, sorta, "sell me" your town.

would it be a nice quiet place to live?
can i find VW people there?
can i find a job?
can i rent a small house with a garage and/or shop for a good rate?
does your town offer a good auality of life and mild 4 seasons weather?

thank you, Mike

carterzest Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:31 pm

Portland Oregon...great VW crowd/community, great recreation like Nor Cal, easy to find jobs.....lots of suburbs and lots of houses to rent if you just want to get your feet wet. www.oregonlive.com for jobs. Also, north of PDX is Vancouver, Longview(lots of industry and need for commercial drivers), and south of PDX is nice and quiet.

does your town offer a good auality of life and mild 4 seasons weather?
Pretty much same as Nor Cal, a bit wetter perhaps...Hood River Or, White Salmon Wa are a bit east of the Cascades and get much less rain and fantastic quality of life. I would move to Hood River or The Dalles in a heartbeat!

Freak Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:18 pm

nothing against you and your wife, but please don't move to the Seattle area!! We have more than enough people here!!! :lol:

norcalmike Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:36 pm

Freak wrote: nothing against you and your wife, but please don't move to the Seattle area!! We have more than enough people here!!! :lol:

i will move it to the top of my list

jmsmilin Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:20 am

^ :lol:

this might help

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=314922&highlight=state

mynameismud Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:59 am

Indianapolis-
Pros-relatively close to a lot of good places (chicago, cincin, st.louis, louisville, columbus - ohio, great lakes) etc. Cost of living is low, compared to income (depends on what you do). The city has - is growing considerably since I moved here in 91 - the downtown doesnt close up @ 5:30 anymore. etc.

Cons- No mountains - though its a short drive to Brown County, No ocean, tho, some decent lakes, Hot and humid in the Summer (july -sept), Cold and Windy (jan-march). Rednecks, etc.

Russ Wolfe Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:39 am

You mention the midwest might be an option.
My address is Indianola, Iowa, but I live closer to Martensdale, Iowa.
Population about 300. About 2 miles off Interstate 35. About 9 miles to Indianola. (a college town) About 12 miles to Des Moines.
Small town atmosphere. Everyone knows what everyones else is doing. Has a branch bank, a good restaurant, and an independent convenience store/filling station, a good body shop, and a friendly post-mistress.
As for VW's, There are 2 of us into VW's. I have at least 6, and a friend has 4. There are a few others in the area.
Noticed that there is a nice house for sale. 3 bedroom, about 24x24 garage, and a swimming pool.
Housing prices are very reasonable in the area. Nothing like you would find on the coasts. If you want to rent, you can find a lot of old farm house for rent very reasonable. The farmers that own the land will rent the house cheap, just to have someone living there.

Ian Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:43 am

Whatever you do don't move to Denver!! I heard it's full of liberals!!!!

DeathBus Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:16 am

LAS VEGAS - Prostitution is legal there.

crofty Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:18 am

DeathBus wrote: LAS VEGAS - Prostitution is legal there.

What's illegal there?

pudlo Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:21 am

Mid West is not bad.
I am close to Quincy IL.(not the end of the world but you can see it from here) :)
It is the largest town (40,000) within 100 miles in any direction.
Right on the Mississippi about 30 miles north of Hanibal MO
100 miles north of St. Louis MO.
It is a BIG small town still. Lots of out door stuff to do.
Not alot of ACVW activity though.

Good Luck in your adventure
Pudlo

Bart Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:29 am

How about finding a job before moving?

Culito Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:35 am

Columbia, MO is pretty fun - Home of MU. Crazy nightlife for the midwest. Pretty middle-of the-road politically. Halfway between KC and STL.

I hate the winters here, though.

GetPsycho Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:00 am

You should check into Idaho. This is where God has his vaction home. 8)

Hunting, Fishing , Hiking, Camping, Skiing.

Housing market is great.

Four Great Seasons.

Lots of VWs.

Salt Lake City, Utah is about 3 hrs south of where I live (Pocatello).
If you want to go to the "Big City" :roll:

crofty Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:38 pm

GetPsycho wrote: You should check into Idaho. This is where God has his vaction home. 8)

God's a white supremist?

eddiemoney Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:40 pm

jacksonville beach florida!!!!!!!

GetPsycho Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:43 pm

crofty wrote: GetPsycho wrote: You should check into Idaho. This is where God has his vaction home. 8)

God's a white supremist?

All the white power crap is way up in the top of the state.
The other 99% is embarrest by those idiots.

telefunken72 Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:46 pm

Kirksville, Missouri

Small town, 2 colleges, just big enough, cheap living. Only drawback is there isn't much in the way of big box stores. We have a HD and Wallyworld, but no Target.

crofty Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:55 pm

GetPsycho wrote: crofty wrote: GetPsycho wrote: You should check into Idaho. This is where God has his vaction home. 8)

God's a white supremist?

All the white power crap is way up in the top of the state.
The other 99% is embarrest by those idiots.

LOL, so then God's a Mormon? :wink:

GetPsycho Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:59 pm

Only if you ask the Mormons :P