TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did you do to your off-road VW today? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 86, 87, 88
PhillipM Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:37 am

Slowly getting there with the new install, and wiring time today:

fishybastard Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:30 pm

Spent the evening cleaning 15 years of grime and three different paint jobs off my rear brake parts. Fun times! Didn't even get one side done :(

Mexicant Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:58 pm

I put the baja up for sale again. :cry:

md perf Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:50 am

I got my Baja running....

GA_Boy Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:51 pm

Yesterday I installed new axel boots on my '67 and did some rewiring.
Marvin

Dreaded1 Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:01 am

Pushed it through the intersection when it ran out of gas on my way to work this morning.

Mental note, always check the tank before driving.

cgummerson11 Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:04 pm

Fixed my rusty door hinge and welded up the jamb and pillar, welded some other cracks. Visited Mckenzies and installed a new skid plate!!!

Merrix Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:37 pm

Finally got around to doing a thorough carb cleaning. Fixed a big headache I've been having for a few weeks.

plotch Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:12 pm

BUMP! Need some action here dudes.

KrAzY-BaJa Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:13 pm

trans swap from 002 to 091, didnt go so well when it spun 3rd/4th gear and had to pull it :roll:

chubby53 Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:21 am

Well it wasn't today. More like a week ago
I took mine to the dunes and jumped this crap out of it. Bent borne reAr trailing arms and now have steering linkAge issues. Also busted my battery and bent up my floor pan under my rear seat and busted the mount that holds the seat bottom in place. Had fun though. Just need to fix these things and take it out again.

enjoyther1de Tue May 03, 2016 8:00 am

Headed to the garage to finish wiring free kenwood head unit.

Big Al Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:35 pm

Was 109 here today. Was measuring some tubes to raise the rear shock mounts. Was trying to figure out how to determine how much to allow for fish mouthing the tubes and just decided it was too hot.

Back to the fish mouthing. I have a mill and figured it would be easy, not so. If the angle requires a long fish mouth the tube needs to be standing up in the mill. Hard to clamp a tube that way. I may have to draw it and saw and grind it out.

Al > Has too many projects...

That1guy Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:48 pm

Day 3 of our first vw.......

Mal evolent Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:34 pm

it looks like this thread died from COVID. bringing it back to life...

Raspewtin was put aside because it had exasperating engine troubles. I obtained a 2220 ( 94 X 80) and started to revive it just about the time this thread died.

lesson learned: I have been bleeding brakes the wrong way all my life.
easy brake bleeding procedure: cut a 9" length of 1/4 clear hose ( or 225 mm of 6 mm hose )
put it on the bleeding nipple. hold the end UP!, not down in a container. crack the bleeder. when the bubbles stop, move to the next wheel in the usual farthest to nearest order. takes maybe 15 minutes to bleed the whole system, alone. no pedal pumping.

current aggravation #1: I can't find the hot with ignition wire in the engine compartment. I found a wire that is hot with ignition, but it is for the oil temp sensor.

I am an electronics technician since the first day of 4th grade, 60 years now. wiring is no more difficult than drinking a beer.

I can trace the wiring under the front hood, find everything. I have a second access point, a row of terminal boards at the right rear wheel well. one hot with ignition there, probably the oil temp sensor.

there are four more terminal boards in the engine compartment. two for lights, one for 16 gauge wire, one for 6 gauge wire, no ignition there.

the real problem is working inside the body in central NM June heat. you have time to check one or two things, then get out before you barbecue.

current aggravation #2: I was not pleased by the carb support that came with the Weber (DFAV/DFEV) carb. it's a bit of sheet metal, bent in two places, slotted for bolts. too short, and you have to bend it to make it fit. I have an oil pump block off plate that is threaded for 8 mm. I found a threaded rod long enough to screw into that and support the carb and the carb sits as close as it can be to the alternator without touching. But it sits a a tiny bit back, so the rod is at a slight angle. the carb slides on, but the other three holes don't line up. next time I get to town I will get an 8mm coupler nut and bend the last couple of inches vertical.

In theory it could be running in three or four days. Unfortunately central NM is very far from theory.

oprn Mon Jun 19, 2023 5:10 am

What did I do? I used it. Yes it needs some things finished but this is a busy time of the year with yard work and all so I hauled water with it.

Mal evolent Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:48 pm

John Deere Green...

I noticed that the fan belt was way out of line. got a 5 mm thick 15 mm ID spacer for a bike axle and it is still 2 or 3 mm off. got a brass bar to make the right spacer when the pack of 15mm X 1 shims comes and I can fine tune it.

replaced the third Pertronix Ignitor that burned out without ever producing a spark, with a points and condensor