TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 67 wiper disassembley
Humanure Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:29 am

From the picture below, can the plastic gear inside the housing be removed without major effort? I want to remove any old grease the may be underneath, but I can't do a nice job with it installed. Do I need to remove the pivot arm that is underneath on which it is attached to? Or should I just leave it be, blast it with brake cleaner and then repack?

Clara Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:36 am

You have to wiggle the arm off, then the wiper gear slides out.

BEFORE wiggling the arm off, make sure you know which way exactly on the splines it is installed, as that determines where the wipers park, and og they park on the right. Perhaps a dab of nail polish so you can line it up later?
You don't want them to park in the middle. :?

I have re-installed the splined arm by trial and error to fix the parking location. It is easier to do before installation in the bus.

Also make sure you don't lose the little cone piece of metal that the adjustment for the wiper motors sets on, or the wipers will be louder. It gets lost in the old grease.

xavi_242 Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:44 am

Clara wrote:
BEFORE wiggling the arm off, make sure you know which way exactly on the splines it is installed, as that determines where the wipers park, and og they park on the right. Perhaps a dab of nail polish so you can line it up later?

ouch!
mine park in the left (looking from inside..)

Ollie W Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:57 am

Parking wiper blades...must be nice.

Humanure Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:53 am

Clara wrote: Also make sure you don't lose the little cone piece of metal that the adjustment for the wiper motors sets on, or the wipers will be louder. It gets lost in the old grease.

Whew, I'm glad you said that. From an earlier search before I posted this thread, somebody (I think it was you) else mentioned that cone piece. I went back and looked on the napkin where I smeared the removed grease and on the floor where I disassembled the wiper assembly, no luck. I then took a peek into where the plastic gear is and noticed a blob of grease and found it there. I posted some photos for future reference. I'm guessing that cone piece is placed on the end of the armature shaft. Is that correct? Thanks for the help!

Clara Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:26 pm

Ya, that's it. you fit it in the housing before sliding the armature in.
The armature slops around w/o it and so the motor is noisier.
Guess how I know? :oops: :lol:

Culito Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:14 pm

Ollie W wrote: Parking wiper blades...must be nice.

X2.

iamdonquixote Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:17 pm

Clara wrote: You have to wiggle the arm off, then the wiper gear slides out.

I have re-installed the splined arm by trial and error to fix the parking location. It is easier to do before installation in the bus.

Also make sure you don't lose the little cone piece of metal that the adjustment for the wiper motors sets on, or the wipers will be louder. It gets lost in the old grease.

can't you just reindex the wiper arms on the wiper shafts to do this?

Clara Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:38 pm

iamdonquixote wrote: Clara wrote: You have to wiggle the arm off, then the wiper gear slides out.

try it and let us know how that works for you.

iamdonquixote Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:40 pm

Clara wrote: iamdonquixote wrote: Clara wrote: You have to wiggle the arm off, then the wiper gear slides out.

try it and let us know how that works for you.

i can't tell if thats sarcasm.

coolerthanelvis Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:46 pm

iamdonquixote wrote:

i can't tell if thats sarcasm.

Yes. Yes it is. Moving just the wipers would change the arc of sweep.

iamdonquixote Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:26 am

I found this thread looking for wiper info. I too removed the mechanism from the motor without marking it.
I cleaned out old grease and reassembled motor. Motor works well at high and low and then I switch to self parking pin 54d to let the motor park. I am going to check the position of the assembly on my other 67' and attempt to line up the splines in the same way.