TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: "Just not any other" Admiral Passed away last week Page: 1, 2  Next
Typ311Dave Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:33 am

But Rear Admiral George "Steve" Morrison, who might not ring a bell, but his son does, passed away here in Coronado, CA, on November 17th. He had quite an impressive career.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/obituaries/20081128-9999-1m28morrison.html

Jim Morrison's Dad. In everything I've read before, and you can read between the lines in the obit, Mommy and Daddy never really welcomed what Jim had become with open arms, just didn't fit. Lot of denial there...

Vanhag Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:53 am

Who the hell is Jim Morrison?

But I have utmost respect for the Admiral.

carterzest Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:00 pm

Wow. Cool story. Thanks for sharing. I would not have known otherwise.

Interesting note in that obit, ".... He also took classes in Italian and ancient Greek, the latter so he could read the Bible as it was originally written.

The Morrisons traveled often, including a 1990 trip to Jim's grave in Paris. Rear Adm. Morrison installed a plaque he had crafted with an ambiguously worded Greek phrase that Chewning said meant “true to his own genius.” "

Sounds like maybe in his later years he possibly embraced what Jim had become after his death after all?

My parents still do not acknowledge my musical ability. They feel that it is counterculture and counterproductive. Just gave my dad another CD of my toned down music this past week as he was in town for the holiday. Hope he gets it someday as well.

Lidpainter Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:09 pm

carterzest wrote: Wow. Cool story. Thanks for sharing. I would not have known otherwise.

Interesting note in that obit, ".... He also took classes in Italian and ancient Greek, the latter so he could read the Bible as it was originally written.

The Morrisons traveled often, including a 1990 trip to Jim's grave in Paris. Rear Adm. Morrison installed a plaque he had crafted with an ambiguously worded Greek phrase that Chewning said meant “true to his own genius.” "

Sounds like maybe in his later years he possibly embraced what Jim had become after his death after all?

My parents still do not acknowledge my musical ability. They feel that it is counterculture and counterproductive. Just gave my dad another CD of my toned down music this past week as he was in town for the holiday. Hope he gets it someday as well.

Ten bucks says somebody stole that plaque within a week of it being placed at the grave site.

Vanhag Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:10 pm

Lidpainter wrote: carterzest wrote: Wow. Cool story. Thanks for sharing. I would not have known otherwise.

Ten bucks says somebody stole that plaque within a week of it being placed at the grave site.

Hell for $15 I'll give it back!

coad Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:13 pm

carterzest wrote:

Post some files, let's hear it.

ChesterKV Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:49 pm

Quote: ...and commanded the fleet of ships in the Tonkin Gulf incident that led to the escalation of the war in Vietnam.

So he directly helped get the U.S. involved in Viet Nam. What a great guy. :roll:

- Chester

Gary Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:53 pm

ChesterKV wrote: Quote: ...and commanded the fleet of ships in the Tonkin Gulf incident that led to the escalation of the war in Vietnam.

So he directly helped get the U.S. involved in Viet Nam. What a great guy. :roll:

- Chester

:roll: Your insight of the world is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo amazing.

carterzest Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:04 pm

coad wrote: carterzest wrote:

Post some files, let's hear it.

Just got moved and had a baby on election day. Working my second round of 6 x 12 hours shifts and just got my computer hooked back up with dsl. I will definitely do it soon, I promise. It is acoustic electric eclectic funk rock with just a hint of country grunge! :D He is into classical....me too, but only in the sack!

i have been doing most of my posting the past month from work...

ChesterKV Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:36 pm

Icy wrote: ChesterKV wrote: Quote: ...and commanded the fleet of ships in the Tonkin Gulf incident that led to the escalation of the war in Vietnam.

- Chester

:roll: Your insight of the world is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo amazing.

I didn't think it was that huge of an accomplishment but thanks ! :wink:

- Chester

Typ311Dave Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Vanhag wrote: Who the hell is Jim Morrison?

Not much of a Door's fan eh?

Vanhag Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:07 pm

Typ311Dave wrote: Vanhag wrote: Who the hell is Jim Morrison?

Not much of a Door's fan eh?

I'm drunk
I'm nobody
I'm drunk
I'm dead.

That's as much as I know about the doors.

Spezialist Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:28 pm

carterzest wrote: Wow. Cool story. Thanks for sharing. I would not have known otherwise.

Couldn't get a post in here :cry: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330755
so I figured I would interject here instead, just to let people know I wasnt dead.
Seems Mr Morrison didn't know that God wasnt Greek or Italian.
no wonder Jim ROCKED !

keifernet Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:32 pm

Jim was much more a poet than a "musician" for sure... I think the other band members wrote the music....

"BREAK ON THROUGH" Admiral... Maybe you will re unite on the OTHER SIDE

my65vert Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:40 pm

van morrison is better.

Whizby Sunshine Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:35 am

Keith Morris from the Circle Jerks has a great story about being eight years old in a friend's garage and hearing a weird noise from the next garage over. The garages were separated by a wall, but someone had punched a big hole through the drywall. He stuck his head through to see what was going on, and it was The Doors rehearsing. He got a front row seat to a Doors rehearsal at eight years old. Unreal!

shano63 Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:17 am

keifernet wrote: Jim was much more a poet than a "musician" for sure... I think the other band members wrote the music....

Actually, it was Jim and Ray who did most of the writing. Alot of it came from Jim's poetry.
My friends ex-wifes dad (who was a member of The Grass Roots), was best man at Ray Manzarek's wedding. I was this close to meeting Ray, then they split!

keifernet Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:38 am

shano63 wrote: keifernet wrote: Jim was much more a poet than a "musician" for sure... I think the other band members wrote the music....

Actually, it was Jim and Ray who did most of the writing. Alot of it came from Jim's poetry.
My friends ex-wifes dad (who was a member of The Grass Roots), was best man at Ray Manzarek's wedding. I was this close to meeting Ray, then they split!

Hmmm.... Robby might beg to differ... :? :wink:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/investing/20030616a1.asp

Typ311Dave Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:15 pm

This is an interesting piece of Americana, and I wonder how many people out there didn't know that Jim Morrison's dad lead a very productive career in the Navy, and was Flag rank. I don't want to glorify Jim Morrison, we should honor those that serve their country more than those that choose a destructive path. Jim had a high IQ, graduated from UCLA, but chose a different path than that obviously, his family wanted him to.

And that's fine, but what makes this interesting is the time of the counterculture movement, going against the old guard and social norms, their obvious disagreements and split. The fact that An Admiral rarely spoke of his own son. I think it's unfortunate that they never bridged the gap, nobody took the lead, the mom or dad, to bury hatchets. I'm not saying what they could of, should of done, but being a father myself, and wanting a certain path for my son, which every loving family should do, I'm not going to reject my son if decides to follow a path that is contrary to mine. I will love him and embrace him regardless. As successful Admiral Morrison was in the Navy, he failed in his personal family life, as Jim did.

Makes for a good made for TV/HBO movie...

ChesterKV Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:16 pm

Typ311Dave wrote: .....we should honor those that serve their country more than those that choose a destructive path....

Am I the only one who noticed the irony in this statement :?:

- Chester