TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Engine tin diagram?? Type IV
busmania Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:24 pm

I searched the archives, technical section and the forums, after 10 pgs of reading, decided to make a post.

Got my longblock built. '72 upgraded to 1800. Looking at all of my freshly painted tin I am a little confused. I want to make sure I get every piece in place. Does someone have a good diagram of all of the tin? Bently section 5 page 20 has a decent diagram, but I feel like it is lacking?.

Also, what tin should be on the engine at this point? Again, it is built up to the heads. I have the 2 pieces of tin under the cylinders attached at this point. I thought I remember there being another piece of tin that (on the rear most part of the shroud side of the engine) could not come off until I remeved the right cylinder head. Am I crazy, or should there be another piece installed at this point?

Thanks everyone, Im hoping to have her running in the next two weeks.

jah_B Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:02 am

You'll have to register to use etka, but this has the microfiche for every year.. type 2 is at the bottom of the list.

http://www.vagcat.com/

Here's a couple from there for the '72 tins.. 'course seeing them in this diagram isn't much help in putting them all together...Tom Wilson's rebuild book gives some good tips on the order to install them..putting them on, then taking them apart and putting them back together in order SUCKS.... DAMHIK :lol:

OK Kombi is right.... you want the sections identified by by #10, and #13 in the 1st diagram, the other stuff is for a 1600. I gave you credit for being able to figure that out...and I was too lazy to photoshop it..

Once you get them all in place the way they are SUPPOSED to be....they make perfect sense.....but not until then... 8)

1975 Kombi Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:19 am

This might be easier to understand.

busmania Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:01 am

Perfect. Where are these sorts of diagrams found? I know I have seen a lot of them around and I know I will be needing them in the future. Ill start saving them to my favorites page, but where can one quick reference these? Thanks.

Edit. Jah_b, thanks for that link. That is one of the most useful resources I have seen. Life will change for me now. :D Thanks again.

Karl Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:07 am

http://www.bus-boys.com/aircoolsystem.html

busmania Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:01 am

Thanks Karl, that is also very useful to know. They have some parts I have been looking for such as some of the small rubber grommets and such.