TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: For anyone that happens to have a classic british car Page: 1, 2  Next
Jengel451 Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:27 am

This has been a long time in the makings, if you've ever owned old british iron, you'll surely appreciate this:

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

Tram Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:38 am

Jengel451 wrote: This has been a long time in the makings, if you've ever owned old british iron, you'll surely appreciate this:

http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

"Classic British Car"??? British humour is classic; British cars, on the other hand... Oh, wait- I see your point.

fred69vert Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:42 am

I once owned a British car, a 1974 Triumph Shi - er - Spitfire.

I had no electrical problems. However, I had to replace the water pump, clutch master cylinder, the top leaked, the rear window cracked, the rear suspension sagged, it fouled the plug in #1 cylinder every 500 miles and got 200 miles to a quart of oil, and finally threw a rod (#3) after I had it a year (with 6 payments left).

But it was fun to drive (when it ran).

I replaced it with a 65 beetle.

my59 Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:51 pm

"Be forewarned, though, that it is not applicable to any British vehicle built after the discontinuing of bullet connectors, so you Range Rover types are still on your own..."

Even the Brits draw the line somewhere.

Dunno how many times I had to mess with the wires to the fuel pump in the '71 Midget I had.

Stripped66 Thu Dec 11, 2008 6:07 pm

my59 wrote: "Be forewarned, though, that it is not applicable to any British vehicle built after the discontinuing of bullet connectors, so you Range Rover types are still on your own..."

You can't discount all Range Rovers...my old '83 RR had only 3 fuses on the fuse block, exactly the same number of speeds in the transmission. Coincidence? I think not...

Vanhag Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:45 pm

Stripped66 wrote: my59 wrote: "Be forewarned, though, that it is not applicable to any British vehicle built after the discontinuing of bullet connectors, so you Range Rover types are still on your own..."

You can't discount all Range Rovers...my old '83 RR had only 3 fuses on the fuse block, exactly the same number of speeds in the transmission. Coincidence? I think not...

I've helped my friend work on his Triumph. Lucas wiring is the worst. They call it Lucas because when you Look at it, you cuss. We ended up rewiring the whole care with new relays, switches, wiring, etc... after we had tried to work with what the brits gave us.

I guess I'm one of the unlucky Landrover owners. Holy Crap those sensors and connectors are expensive.

Rowroy Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:22 am

Q. You know why the Northern Lights flicker?

A. Because Lucas wired them.

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.

Tram Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:30 am

Rowroy wrote: Q. You know why the Northern Lights flicker?

Q: Why do the British drink warm beer?

A: Because their refrigerators are built by Lucas.

TWD Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:14 pm

I fondly remember the British sportcars of the mid 60s to early 70s. Mostly as seen in the rear view mirror of my Datsun 2000.

gonebuggy Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:23 pm

Why do you have to knock at on the Lucas factory door?

Because they wired their own doorbell...

Alex

kahala46 Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:55 pm

Lucas the prince of darkness

Jawohl Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:28 pm

Lucas invented intermittent wipers.

manxcraig Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:38 pm

My old Triumph TR7 had intermittent headlights.

Tram Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:46 pm

manxcraig wrote: My old Triumph TR7 had intermittent headlights.

They worked during daylight hours only? :lol:

Zeen Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:30 pm

Tram wrote: Rowroy wrote: Q. You know why the Northern Lights flicker?

Q: Why do the British drink warm beer?

A: Because their refrigerators are built by Lucas.

Laugh it up Liebe, just don't mention the war!

jackq Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:16 am

I currently own a 57 MGA coupe..three MGB roadsters, an MGB-GT and a restored 69 MGC-GT...6cyl..don't have many electrical problems as everything is virtually new.

grimace007 Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:51 pm

i heard a rumor once that the british designed theyre cars so rediculously stupid on purpose, it was to save money on copywrights and not have to patent anything because the design was so bad no one in their right mind would steal it! :lol:

i doubt its true but it damn sure seems like it sometimes looking at those things, my next door neighbor works at a shop that restors brit cars and man they are funky.

--mego Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:46 am

Damn! If I knew we could get replacement smoke we wouldn't have gotten rid of the TR3 earlier this year.

damitboy Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:01 pm

My uncle used to have a triumph stag, bad ass little ride.

Viande Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:07 pm

Lucas hold the patent on the Short Circuit.

During the 1970 and 80's Lucas electrics branched out into domestic appliances and sold vacuum cleaners in England, it was the only product they ever made that didn't suck.

Lucas, get home before dark.

While others talked about it Lucas invented the original anti theft device.

Lucas were the inventors of the first intermittent wiper, although they thought it was normal.

Lucas are the inventor of the self-dimming headlights.

All of their headlights had a three position switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.

Lucas is an acronym: Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

If Lucas was a manufacturer of firearms then wars would never start.