TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Prototype Samba, 1953? (11w DLXs/Taxis) Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
RockStock Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:26 pm

That's what the German book says...

11 windows
Know anything about it?

Ties in with the one posted on the Barndoor Junkie thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=109148&start=340

EverettB Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:31 pm

It looks like a normal 52 or earlier Bus, although not a Deluxe, obviously.

It does have several Deluxe features or add-ons.

I say 52 or earlier because of the piano vent wings.

Brian_1952 Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:57 pm

EverettB wrote: It looks like a normal 52 or earlier Bus, although not a Deluxe, obviously.

It does have several Deluxe features or add-ons.

I say 52 or earlier because of the piano vent wings.

52 all the way

streetwagens Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:56 am

Vent windows, mirror arms, no rear bumper, think the book writers should have done some checks first! 8)

Lowdown Dirty Rat Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:37 am

how can you have a prototype in 1953 of a model that was already built in april 51?
In the factory photos thread its mentioned that standards were always offered in SWR/CB though non appear to survive. Dealer ads trim, job done.

barnjunkie Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:45 am

RockStock Shot down :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lowdown Dirty Rat Posted: Today 10:37 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

how can you have a prototype in 1953 of a model that was already built in april 51?
In the factory photos thread its mentioned that standards were always offered in SWR/CB though non appear to survive. Dealer ads trim, job done.

sled Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:05 am

not rockstock...but the book in reference.

maybe it was a prototype deluxe 11 window. Youre right they made 23 window deluxes prior, but maybe they thought there would be a market for a 'nicer' 11 window? obviously it didnt happen.

Lowdown Dirty Rat Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:09 pm

i wasnt trying to shoot anyone down :lol:
maybe the book was published in 53 but is showing a prototype made in early 51? just trying out the trim on a few standards before the intro of the sambas :?

hugheseum Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:16 pm

i think i have a cool pic of that bus's ass end in a pic a fella gave me.....i always wondered what was the scoop....give me a minute and i'll see if i can find it

BUCIOBATISTI Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:05 pm

OK, I've got one you guys can discuss for hours and I guarantee that nobody will come up with an answer that everyone wholeheartedly agrees on.
Jeff (Anchovy) posted some pics years ago that I'm not able to find now. They are of a Barndoor Ambulance in Thailand. It is one of the single craziest Buses I've ever laid eyes on and I freaked out on it back then and I'll continue to freak out on it every time I see it. It was Right Hand Drive, had a NORMAL Barndoor rear decklid, optional rear hatch! (not a "Oven Door" Ambulance like every other one I've ever seen is), it had safaris, a Deluxe dash with a funky seemed to be spotlight mount, and FULL DELUXE TRIM. I'll keep hunting for the pics, I know they used to be here years ago...

BUCIOBATISTI Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:07 pm

OK, I believe this is the dash shot...

BUCIOBATISTI Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:20 pm

I just searched all of Anchovy's pics with no luck. I even checked under his old handle of "Blueboxparts" with no luck.

Jeff! Can you help us out in here? I'd love to see what ideas people have to explain that Bus.

hugheseum Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:21 pm

is this the bus in the topic/pics above?

Long-roofs Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:32 pm

No wheel trim rings, but could be. The above the buses have different antenna's

BUCIOBATISTI Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:33 pm

hugheseum wrote:

is this the bus in the topic/pics above?

Looks similar at the very least but it doesn't seem to have its trim rings for one thing.

BUCIOBATISTI Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:37 pm

Long-roofs wrote: No wheel trim rings, but could be. The above the buses have different antenna's

Haha, looks like I was typing that as you were hitting "submit", Eric.

Long-roofs Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:40 pm

BUCIOBATISTI wrote: Long-roofs wrote: No wheel trim rings, but could be. The above the buses have different antenna's

Haha, looks like I was typing that as you were hitting "submit", Eric.

:lol:

Also, are the emblems in the hubcaps painted on the one, and not the other?

hugheseum Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:44 pm

right,plus the "they never did that" roof rack....and are the hubcaps vw symbals painted?..........or am i trippin off jagermeister?

BUCIOBATISTI Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:07 pm

Looks to me like the first Bus has unpainted hubcap logos, the seconds are painted. The second Bus seems to be a 1952 or earlier 1953 as it has two reflectors, large license light, and it looks like the taillight lenses are flat as far as I can see. The Buses seem to be very similar but likely not the same Bus by my guess.

EverettB Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:12 pm

The 2nd Bus still looks like it has piano hinge vent wings to me.

The cargo door handle area looks weird, almost like it doesn't have a key area.