TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Reproduction OT Pulley's Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
tylergeddis Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:10 pm

I have been looking around for one of those 4hole porsche pulleys. Not only are they rare but their might pricy! I was wondering if I could make reproductions. Could I make some from scratch on a lathe? What materials were they made of, and how did they produce them? Boyd Cottington, who passed away recently has one of those cool water jet machines that cut a brick of metal into a pice of art using water. If I could somehow find a way to use it I could produce a [email protected]#ing sh# :D :roll: :D t load of them.

gimmesomeshelter Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:29 am

Hello-

Nla Parts sells a repro, but it isn't inexpensive.

http://www.nlaparts.com/store/front-crankshaft-pulley-4hole-p-1786.html

Paul

tylergeddis Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:00 am

Well at least it takes the rarity out of them. But come on $200. If I made repros I would sell them for half price!

overrestored Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:36 pm

I am thinking Brad Ripley's (NLA) pulley is the smaller diameter pulley from a Porsche 356A and later engine... not the larger pre A size similar to VW.

This smaller pulley is similar in size to a vw "Power Pulley" and won't spin your fan at the same speed.

There have been other repros of the large diameter pulley... but they don't have the same look... and they are not any cheaper than an original.

Also... don't use VW pulley pullers with Porsche pulleys... you will break the edge

fanbelt Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:43 am

So whats the advantage of this pully over a stock vw pully?

Braukuche Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:17 am

fanbelt wrote: So whats the advantage of this pully over a stock vw pully?

Spins the fan slower, less drag on the engine, less horsepower used.
--Dan

Glenn Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:24 am

Braukuche wrote: fanbelt wrote: So whats the advantage of this pully over a stock vw pully?

--Dan
And less cooling.

overrestored Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:30 am

fanbelt wrote: So whats the advantage of this pully over a stock vw pully?

"the false way of the OT pulley"

It is pretty.... in that way that only hard to find parts can be... and you want it because others have made it desirable.

But it is all a mirage... and actually once you get an OT pulley... you realize that it doesn't make your life better. The girls aren't fawning all over you like you thought they would. You aren't more handsome or rich... in fact you are poorer. Such is the way with vintage high performance...

But alas... it is simply something you cannot learn without the experience... so go find the mysterious and rare OT pulley... and place it upon the crankshaft of your beloved... as many have done before you... Then you can know the dark false power of it all... and you you will come to a secret knowledge.

It is all for naught. For only through the wise teachings of our late Zen master Gene Berg can you actually find happiness.

Webers 48:IDA

tylergeddis Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:44 pm

Thats true. I will take your advise for it. So heres my thinking, I want the look of an old porsche pulley but the performance of a new performance one. So you buy one of these santana pulleys and paint it the color of the porsche pulley

Or buy of one of these solid pulleys grind the numbers/ paint off and drill the 4 holes like the porsche pulley then paint it.

Braukuche Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:03 pm

Glenn wrote: Braukuche wrote: fanbelt wrote: So whats the advantage of this pully over a stock vw pully?

--Dan
And less cooling.

I don't consider that an advantage, Glen :wink:
--Dan

Glenn Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:05 pm

Braukuche wrote: Glenn wrote: Braukuche wrote: fanbelt wrote: So whats the advantage of this pully over a stock vw pully?

--Dan
And less cooling.

I don't consider that an advantage, Glen :wink:
--Dan
Neither do I.

tylergeddis Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:46 pm

What I meen is that I want the similar look of a porsche pulley but the performance of a stock size or larger pulley. What I was told was that the porsche pulleys arnt as great as you may think. They look great but they dont perform any better than the stock pulley. So my idea was to get the look of a porsche pulley but get the cooling of a stock size or larger pulley. Do you get what im trying to say?

Teeroy Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:34 am

The early pullies were the same size or a bit larger than a VW pulley, had oil slinger grooves in them too.

OMT Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:06 pm

I thought some pictures would help......

KDF on left Porsche on right

Pre A Pulley on Kueble Wagon
Hope we are all on the same page.
Reproduced and copied in many forms, worshipped and hated in many circles; the only "Talisman" with more power is the "Elusive" Super Oel Breather Can.

Johann der Katse stalking the "Magical Power"!
Merry Christmass and Happy Neu Jahre to Everyone!
Al "Der Baron" Higdon
Good Luck Tyler, hope your dreams come true.
Al

pbaptist Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:38 am

Yes, Pictures helps a lot.

Now I understand want this topic is about.

I happened to have one of those fitted on my engine. I didn't know it was something special... I still have to learn a lot about vintage speed. :oops:

Patrick

a-train Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:10 pm

gimmesomeshelter wrote: Hello-

Paul

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but will this repro pully hook right up to a 36 hp without fit issues?

Thanks.

gimmesomeshelter Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:26 pm

Hello-

You'll need to install a sand seal in your case.

Paull

Braukuche Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:12 pm

I have a vintage large OT pulley I want to use on my engine, but I noticed, or actually the machinist pointed out, that the threaded section on the OT is slightly longer than a stock VW pulley. Will that cause a problem, with say fan alignment, or does it need to be ground down?
--Dan

a-train Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:40 pm

gimmesomeshelter wrote: Hello-

Paul

Do these reproductions have an "OT" on the front?

Thanks,
A

Sunroof53 Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:27 pm

OMT wrote: I thought some pictures would help......

I have to say that those pulleys look rough to me.hardly something i would fit to a quality VW engine and definitley not worth $200.Looks like something from a old washing machine :)