TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Reproduction OT Pulley's Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
frikendelicious Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:39 am

I believe they reduced the diameter to prevent the pulley from cutting into the case. This happend a lot with the earlier ISP ones. The aluminium expands more than the original pulley. The reduced diameter is now causing the oil leaks. So Im wondering: is that only when the engine is cold, or is it also still leaking when warm? Either way, not really nice!

thanks,
jeroen

Mr.Ragtop Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:27 am

That shouldn't matter. Empi and many others have made aluminum pulleys with the correct diameter for years without issues. So what would make these ones expend any different?

The gap that is between the case and pulley snout is still pretty decent even with an original pulley. Steel doesn't expand at the same rate that aluminum does but the difference between steel and aluminum at full heat is very small.

DONGKG Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:15 pm

Mr.Ragtop wrote: That shouldn't matter. Empi and many others have made aluminum pulleys with the correct diameter for years without issues. So what would make these ones expend any different?

The gap that is between the case and pulley snout is still pretty decent even with an original pulley. Steel doesn't expand at the same rate that aluminum does but the difference between steel and aluminum at full heat is very small. Isn't it that, heated, steel expands more than an aluminum?

Mr.Ragtop Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:28 pm

DONGKG wrote: Mr.Ragtop wrote: That shouldn't matter. Empi and many others have made aluminum pulleys with the correct diameter for years without issues. So what would make these ones expend any different?

The gap that is between the case and pulley snout is still pretty decent even with an original pulley. Steel doesn't expand at the same rate that aluminum does but the difference between steel and aluminum at full heat is very small. Isn't it that, heated, steel expands more than an aluminum?

No. Aluminum expands at a fast rate and expands further than steel.

oldbusboy Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:46 am

If the ISP OT copy pulleys are leaking, then they should take them back.

I have one on an Okrasa build that I haven't run yet.. I bought the pulley a couple years ago, so it would be interesting to see if it would be accepted as a return.

Trevor

Mr.Ragtop Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:56 pm

oldbusboy wrote: If the ISP OT copy pulleys are leaking, then they should take them back.

I have one on an Okrasa build that I haven't run yet.. I bought the pulley a couple years ago, so it would be interesting to see if it would be accepted as a return.

Trevor

I agree they should take them back. From talking to a friend yesterday, I guess they are aware of the issue and are concerned about it. No idea what they will do. I got mine cheap enough and have the skills to correct it. Not worth going through the hoops to get a new one hoping itís different.

johnny d Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:41 pm

Mr.Ragtop wrote:
[...]and have the skills to correct it.

so what you are going to do with it?

mr. warehouse Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:25 pm

I have a leaking ISP West OT pulley as well.
I've thought of turning it down and running sand seal.
Thoughts?

Mr. Okrasa Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:47 pm

mr. warehouse wrote: I have a leaking ISP West OT pulley as well.
Thoughts?
You can turn the neck down of the ISP pulley but you have to add a steel collar otherwise the seal will cut into the aluminum.

mr. warehouse Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Mr. Okrasa wrote: mr. warehouse wrote: I have a leaking ISP West OT pulley as well.
Thoughts?
You can turn the neck down of the ISP pulley but you have to add a steel collar otherwise the seal will cut into the aluminum.

Thanks. I was told to use a "Speedi Sleeve" or similar. In the meantime, I swapped it out for a Speedwell Denzel pulley and the leak has stopped.

Mr.Ragtop Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:24 pm

johnny d wrote: Mr.Ragtop wrote:
[...]and have the skills to correct it.

so what you are going to do with it?

If you look at the other pages in this thread, i talk about fixing my pulley. I had it welded to make the OD much bigger. I will then lathe is down to the correct size of a stock pulley. Then lathe in the ďslingerĒ groove again. Itís a lot of work, but if you have the tools and are able to do the work yourself, itís not a big deal in the end. Here is the pic again after being welded.....