TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Custom Kitchen designs Page: 1, 2  Next
gator70 Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:50 am

Please post the mods you made to your camper kitchen. Or new kitchen designs.

jackbombay Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:17 pm

1621 Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:45 pm

Not a lot, but a couple simple mods that are cheap, easy and practical. My favorite is the refrigerator door mod I copied from SpitsnRovers' website. Keeps the cold in while switching power sources, or re-igniting the propane. See it here: http://www.griffco.ca/interest/vw/vwfridgemods.htm

I also added the Frank Condelli designed VW grills to the cooking grate. No more tipped pots of water. See those here: http://www.frankcondelli.com/grill.htm

Other little ideas were simple plastic drawer organizer from an RV store that was trimmed to fit in the Westy drawer. Keeps things tidy in there.

Added some cut to fit, rubberized shelf liners found at any Walmart-Target-Fred Meyers, etc. to keep stuff from sliding around in the cabinet.

I found two large plastic snap-top food storage bins at Safeway that fit absolutely perfectly on the bottom shelf side by side. One is upside down due to the tapered sides, but they use every inch of available space, and seal out all air (good for keeping insects and rodents from sniffing around).

A battery operated refrigerator fan from an RV store that sits on the shelf and circulates the cold air. Helps immensely with the efficiency of the Dometic.

Added a second light over the stove/sink, identical to the original and located on the bottom side of the shelf.

And lastly, the rear table mod that allows the table to be raised to "countertop" level and still be functional. It consists of a dowel screwed into the floor, and the table rod slides over it. There are other designs as well, but this one has worked well for me. I can't find the link for the instructions right now, but they're around here somewhere. Allows additional workspace when cooking.

gator70 Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:11 am

I bought a new two burner cooktop from a German supplier. I bought a small new stainless sink from a boat supplier and a new German facet.

Now my Norcold fridge is on its way to me.

Is there any ideas to put this together?

climberjohn Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:29 pm

Jack,

That Youtube table vid is pretty slick. Thanks for posting it.

From your signature file, what is an "AHU Westy?"
I am not familiar with that term.

Steelhead Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:39 pm

from a van that was just posted in the classifieds. Pretty sweet. swapable with jumpseat. cool design.

Dogpilot Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:57 pm

You can see the mods I did to redo the kitchen module for an AC/DC fridge and a microwave on this page:

http://homepage.mac.com/greystoke.eng/PhotoAlbum12.html

TopBud Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:10 pm

steelhead- are those insulated window coverings? how do they work? where do you find them? sorry for the hijack

izzydog Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:28 am

hey gator,

got any pics of your new stove and sink?

thanks,
jeff

Steelhead Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:10 am

TopBud wrote: steelhead- are those insulated window coverings? how do they work? where do you find them? sorry for the hijack

Cool huh? Not mine, just found those pics in the classifieds. They do look insulated. Here's the ad, I'm sure the owner can help you out:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=715323

Rodknock Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:29 am

Steelhead wrote: from a van that was just posted in the classifieds. Pretty sweet. swapable with jumpseat. cool design.

The corner style cabinet behind the driver's seat and the swing-up Weekender table is exactly what I'll do to my Syncro Vanagon, that is when I find my Syncro Vanagon. I did a similar mod to my '71 bus. I also like the Weekender closet, but that's a lot more work.

tencentlife Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:11 pm

I think it's cute when you guys get all domestic and stuff.

candyman Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:12 pm

tencentlife wrote: I think it's cute when you guys get all domestic and stuff.

aw shucks :oops:

Dogpilot Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:02 pm

Ow, come on 10¢. I bet you have a "Mr. Bar-B-Que" apron hiding somewhere!

carterzest Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:19 pm

Dogpilot wrote: Ow, come on 10¢. I bet you have a "Mr. Bar-B-Que" apron hiding somewhere!

I was gonna say a "Kiss The Cook" apron but you beat me to it :wink:

djbside Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:43 pm

So I was looking at the pictures in the My Syncro thread by tk76 and I had an idea come to me about this thread...

Given that TK's Syncro is pretty custom all-around... If someone had a tin top with two sliding doors (one on each side)... Could you add a Westy pop-top to it... but in reverse? Reason for this.... You build your kitchen/gally area in the rear of the van. Maybe cooking inside (standing facing out the rear hatch) and reach through to ppl sitting under the hatch in a screen tented dining area... Meanwhile... both side doors are open, and a bench seat has been folded back up from the nights bed. Along with two awnings over each slider.

Or am I still hung over from NYE?

wcdennis Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:32 pm

TopBud wrote: steelhead- are those insulated window coverings? how do they work? where do you find them? sorry for the hijack

Not my van either but--the insulated window covers are available from Van Cafe.

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_897_1339/window_insulation.html

tencentlife Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:47 pm

Dogpilot wrote: Ow, come on 10¢. I bet you have a "Mr. Bar-B-Que" apron hiding somewhere!

I have a flame-proof welding apron, does that count? It doesn't say "kiss the welder" or anything, though. Not that anyone in their right mind would want to.

campism Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:51 pm

"Along with two awnings over each slider. "

That (four awnings total) would be overkill but, hey, go for it.

FNGRUVN Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:08 pm

I'm guessing those insulated window covers snap into place. I guess you could attach the male portion of the snap to the glass with some rear view mirror glue. I think I need a set of these. The wife might have to bust out the sewing machine again.