TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: ZF transmission
Dr Evil Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:46 am

I've got a ZF transmission (gearbox, thanks for the heads up John) and have been told they were very strong units for VW applications back in the day.

But I can't find any information on them when I tried searching.

Are they any good?

gimmesomeshelter Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:19 am

Hello-

When you wrote 'gear box', did you mean 'steering box'? If so, it might have come from a post '57(?) Porsche 356.

Paul

John Moxon Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:25 pm

gimmesomeshelter wrote: Hello-

When you wrote 'gear box', did you mean 'steering box'? If so, it might have come from a post '57(?) Porsche 356.

Paul

Let me translate Paul. :wink: 'gear box' is the Anglo version of "Transmission."

IN2VWS Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:32 am

Dr Evil wrote: I've got a ZF transmission (gearbox, thanks for the heads up John) and have been told they were very strong units for VW applications back in the day.

But I can't find any information on them when I tried searching.

Are they any good?

Haven't seen them used in VW's, but they were used on Tempo Matadors.
After VW stopped supplying Tempo with VW engines and gearboxes, Tempo used ZF gearboxes with Austin engines using the same chassis as the VW powered Tempos. Tempo also offered the ZF gearboxes as replacements to the VW gearbox.
Tempo also used the ZF gearboxes on the Ruthman VW powered Tempos as they needed heavier duty gearboxes.

Dr Evil Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:16 am

Yeah, that's were I found them. One of the Tempo's I have has one installed. I also saw a 1951 Matador manual with exploded views of both VW and ZF transmissions but am having trouble getting a copy of it.

I also came across this the other day.

Another Matador with 3 ZF's and enough NOS gears to build a couple of them up.

I'd heard by a few people in Australia that they were sought after for high performance VW applications but I't doesn't seem it was the same in the US.

I know the Supercharged Goggo with the VW motor in it had a ZF for an early incarnation.

Thanks

henry roberts Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:45 am

any more pics of your latest finds? the g'box's the matador and the weird hubcap in the middle of the pic?

thanks

henry.

Dr Evil Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:39 am

I'll get some more soon- the Hub cap was a good find, a single '51 Tempo one.

As I have had 3 for the last year and had almost given up finding a last one I was very happy when I saw it.