TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New spider baja Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Ozzaholic Tue May 03, 2011 9:39 am

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/schem/altreg.gif

This should help, with the 4 wire you need a voltage regulator.

j5josher Wed May 04, 2011 7:31 am

what voltage reg?

Ozzaholic Wed May 04, 2011 10:13 am

Good question. Mine is flat and came out of a '74 under the seat.
I found this http://www.socalautoparts.com/?cPath=1215_1218&osCsid=7634d18b18d439bf66ea8e14e39d3ca3
Says works for all.
I don't think it matters as long as it regulates to 12 volts (someone correct me if wrong). Dale????

j5josher Wed May 18, 2011 6:14 am

that looks like a gen. one not a alt..

j5josher Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:37 am

So I got everything working and been driving it around for 2 months now. I'm not sure what type 4 motor I have. Valve adjustment is awful! Thought they were solid then tried hydrical adjusment. No luck idk.

And I'm tring to figure out how I could get more travel. I have 3x3 porche axles 6 rib tranny everything nice. But I got maybe 4 inchs of travel. Do I need a roll cage and mount the shocks into it? Right now we came up with a temp shock bracket and it is gettho. And my chamber is god awful. Idk what to do. If I adjust the trosion bars ill lose my height. And right now it is level.

I also have a vacuum leak or something I have terrbile idie and have to keep pressing the gas all the time but its a good baja so fair

So 4 questions. Valves, shock travel, chamber, and idie.

Class 11 wannabe Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Identify your STOCK type 4 motor OG case application:
http://www.tunacan.net/t4/reference/case.htm
If it's rebuild it can be made into any size the builder wanted. That site has a lot of info about the type 4 if you want to read up.

As for rear travel, are your lower springplate stops still installed, and/or do your shocks bottom out?

j5josher Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:56 pm

sorry it took so long my bump stops are cut off and the shocks dont seem to bottom out i have them on the next to tightest preload but after 2 to 3 inches they hit my fenders so..

j5josher Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:19 pm

and thanks for the website turn out my 1.7 is a 2.0!!!! omg so happy but yet still so underpowered :'( it has solid lifters so it says so i should readjust them like they are solid and hope that helps

Class 11 wannabe Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:00 pm

Give it a shot.

A cam swap, CR increase, and offroad exhaust would help also when budget allows.

j5josher Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Well now it's acting like the dizzy is bad high revs in 3rd it putters it's a vac diz will a 009 work on the type 4 I also have a lot of white smoke coming thou the breather. Should I throw new rings on it? And what jets should I useon the 32/36 weber thanks

Class 11 wannabe Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:44 pm

Yes the 009 fits and "works" on the type 4. Not ideal but it can work. If the motors worn out a set of rings is a bandaid but not a cure. If the 2.0 barrels are worn beyond honing they can be bored out to 96mm for KB pistons.

j5josher Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:43 am

well long over due check up... blew up left side head.. toasted a piston.

rebuild the top end. and now she runs again.. just been so busy not enough time to drive the poor girl :(

need to replace the carb i believe. only runs if you have choke fully engaged.

should i keep with the weber 32/36 or what,

thanks,
Josh

j5josher Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:49 pm

She's alive and running great. Swapped the carb out, and now she is one of my DD. Now I'm tring to make it into a realible offroader. I want more travel. And I think since I jacked up the trosion bars I'm losing my upper travel and gained the really stiff ride. But if I lossen it up the 32's will rub into my fenders and ill lose my height right?

I just don't know what are my options. I should have a decent setup just need help tuning it in.

j5josher Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:13 pm

2.0 motor weighing her down alittle.

shock placement.

cv's are really stressed.

the scar mark was stock i believe, dad cut off the bump stops instead of notching spring plates, no limiting scarps, and the stock shock mount got cut out somehow..

if i'm thinking right i need to loosen the torsion on the bars to gain upwards travel. and make a better shock setup.. any advice?