TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Elephant Ears, Down or Out? Page: 1, 2  Next
The.Walrus Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:26 am

So...there's no point hiding my considerable ignorance despite having my intrepid little bus for so long and I can ask what might be a stupid question. I did a search and didn't see a thread on it which may mean it's a really stupid question, but I'll take the heat for the other dufuss out there who doesn't want to out himself.

My bus has Elephant Ears (which my search has now told me are VWoA...I think that's right...mirrors), and when I got her they stuck straight out and I assumed, that's the way it goes. Then I went to a swap meet and saw a bus with them down. Oh, okay, I had it wrong. Put them down.

But then I see pictures here and at other shows, the ears are pointed out! Curse you, dammit, which way is it supposed to go? Or is there no 'supposed to.' Down or out, I must know!

I have to say, having them down has made it easier to see %*$&#* formation fliers, those bastards that shadow your speed right off your rear corner for no reason other than to fluster.

Sound off.

fastinradford Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:34 am

Keep em down, seems safer as you explained it.

Busryder Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:03 am

Keep 'em up... you can get the same angle when you push the arm to the front of the bus. The "down" option has some drawbacks, you don't want a limp mirror when looking in reverse :shock: , keep the left eye on your ass, and that mirror in the same directiones the possible danger and then "up" "or "Down" will matter not. It's your bus?; if so... do what you want, it's yours.

BulliBill Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:09 am

I've got repro versions bought from Bob Scott at Vintage Parts back in the mid 1980's which have been on my 1967 Westy. I've driven with then aimed both vertical and horizontal, and when driving and using them as mirrors, they seem to provide more info and field of view when horizontal. When parked in tight quarters, like in the garage where folks have to squeeze past them, I sometimes turn them vertical. But for function, I can see more width of vision when they are horizontal. So...

"OUT and PROUD"!!!

Just polished those mirrors again two days ago...

Bill

bugcollections Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:55 am

Mine are horizontal with large size toward the bus and the small end out. Appears to give the best visibility this way, and in a panel van you need all the visibility you can find.

WILL-T Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:21 am

My van came with them out [horizontal] I thought they may be wrong when I saw so may over here with them vertical. Horizontal works for me.

BulliBill Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:41 am

Yep! I run mine horizontal exactly the way "Bugcollections" described it. Best rear vision in my opinion. But run 'em whatever way makes you happy. Rules? We don't need no stinkin' rules!

Bill Bowman

WILL-T Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:51 am

splitsick Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:11 pm

I use mine horizontal for function.
They look better vertical.

bugboy63 Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:31 pm

i did have it down at first...

i didn't like it turned either way ... so i went with the round ones 8)

amishman Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:36 pm

bugboy63 wrote: i did have it down at first...

I like it like this pic. Looks more natural, well like a Elephants ear with big section on top and it gets smaller down below.

Either way, when I drive my 1967 bus home this summer that has these type mirrors, man, they shake like a dickens. Everything in then is like in a 10.0 earthquake. Vibrate like hell and did not see much behind me either way. :lol:

tj

BlastMasterMannyFresh Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:59 pm

keep'em whichever way you like best. I've always felt that that's a matter of taste sort of speak. Just put a hot spot on the passenger mirror, that will help you see other cars aproaching your bus instead of just suddenly appearing out of nowhere next to your bus.

The.Walrus Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:25 pm

The horizontal crowd is more vocal, but the vertical crowd is a silent majority.

I haven't had a problem with vibration, but I just had to replace both due to vandalism, so we'll see.

I've never really been able to set the passenger side so that it's useful. I spend most of my time all the way to the right anyway, so...but once I get her back (if...grrr...long story), I'm going to try and make it work again.

bushaus Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:41 pm

My 67 came with the ears, but I can't stand 'em. Switched to round. I can barely see anything around me anyway, so may as well go for looks. Yes, I think the rounds vibrate a bit less.

Kept the OG ones in my parts bin though. Two things I've learned here: Don't hack the bus and don't part with any OG stuff!

vwjosh6070 Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:41 pm

keep mine vertical and close to the bus! driving at 50 mph top speed, i need al the slickness i can get!

i dont have a problem seeing out of my bus with them vertical, but as was said efore, im usually on the right anyways!

Rwheeler Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:52 pm

Ran the elephant ears for a while, but as the other guy said, they vibrate too much. Went with the round and the vision is much clearer. I won't go back!!

P.S. Gotta admit, the round look better. Just ask my SingleCab Rusty!

thewalkingdude Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:27 pm

Have elephant ears on my DC and a previous SC. Always left them down, as mentioned above the box needs all the streamlining I can give it. Prefer the round myself and just recieved WW's oversize arms and little round mirrors, Woo Hoo should not vibrate anymore!

bushaus Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:26 pm

I went with the stainless arms from CIP1 and round mirrors from WW. My only complaint (and have seen similar comments here) the little ball mounts on the WW round mirrors rust pretty quickly. Wish they would have used stainless for that....

vwjosh6070 Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:30 am

my elephant ears dont vibrate? i do like the look of the round ones tho...

suebug Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:13 am

I've run my mirrors both ways. I've had aftermarket vibrating elephants and real VWoA ones which don't vibrate. I figured the writing on the back says which end is up. (Thanks to Campingbox for this beauty.)