TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW38 found in Lithuania Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 204, 205, 206 ... 226, 227, 228  Next
Undis Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:01 am

allsidius wrote:
Undis, I like your dedication. This thread is historically significant. To think about how this car was restored in front of all of us and by sourcing hundreds of rare parts all over Europe is just amazing. Totally unlike those high dollar Pebble Beach restorations taking place under clinical conditions and under top secrecy. The result is so good, I don't believe any amount of money could have helped anyone do it to the same level of authenticity.

I totally agree, and the real heroes in my opinion are the Grundmanns for having the courage to do it the way they did. Of course not all aspects of the restoration were laid out for everyone to see but still we were able to witness the process and share the joy of finding against all odds that super rare chassis, steering wheel, fan shroud, trailing arm, mirror, year correct engine.....

A top secret restoration with a fanfare presentation of the finished car would have been a confusing and perhaps somewhat disappointing experience for me. Those who followed this thread can now point at almost any part of the car and say "I know how this was done/found/made/researched". That is priceless!

My hat is off to those who made this happen!

Stetoppingphoto Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Regarding the English Translation of the book i had an idea, whoever has the book translates a chapter each and we all put it together as one when its all done? Ive just been using online translators. Its easy but very time consuming hence me only getting as far as chapter 3 so far. I dont mind adding it all into the file.

Just a thought?

PatterBon Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:04 am

Nothing new on this recently? And we never..ever..got any pictures or answers about number 31's restoration...

Rain's Westy Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:06 pm

what became of the original VW 38 engine that was found?? Restoration in progress??? photos???

Björn Schewe Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:39 am

Today, No. 6 managed the trip on top of the Grossglockner Moutain. At this weekend, there will be an historic hill climb race as a memorial of the original race named Grand hillclimb Grandprix . In 1938, Ferdinand Porsche himself opend the race in a VW38 No 1 and another one in No. 9.

johnshenry Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:43 am

Wow. Beyond cool!!!!

79SuperVert Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:45 am

Is there any chance of No. 6 receiving special acknowledgment from the historic vehicle community? I know that there are organizations that vet historic vehicles so they can participate in events that are only open to those kinds of vehicles, including reenactments of historic races and rallies. No.6 would certainly seem to qualify.

vw57drvr Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:31 am

Outstanding that this car gets driven. I just wonder what the insurance company thought when asked to insure a prototype VW.

Stetoppingphoto Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:20 pm

as said, great to see its being used 8)

PatterBon Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:44 pm

Beautiful country up there!

eurodub Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:56 pm

center exhaust muffler tip trend? i understand now where Sebring got the inspiration from ! :lol:

Undis Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:14 am

The VW38/06 at Porsche Zell am See!

and at the top of the Grossglockner Pass. The VW38/06 and an Oval posing at the top of the mountain where back in 1938 testing was conducted on he first prototypes.

Grossglockner Pass in Austria. One of the test runs involving the prototype V303 series right after the cornerstone ceremony in June 1938. The saloon, sunroof and the convertible were tested against the Opel Kadett, DKW Meisterklasse and Adler Junior. Picture from the excellent book: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber

Undis Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:31 am

Hot off the press - literally!

Thanks to Christian for providing these fantastic pictures...

This pictures takes the cake on oh so many levels! Excellent image!

kafer53 Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:36 am

Undis wrote: Hot off the press - literally!

Thanks to Christian for providing these fantastic pictures...

This pictures takes the cake on oh so many levels! Excellent image!

Amazing pictures ! :D Austria is a beautiful place!

Stetoppingphoto Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:55 am

Love the last picture 8) 8)

Tanguy Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:28 pm

Undis wrote:
The saloon, sunroof and the convertible were tested against the Opel Kadett, DKW Meisterklasse and Adler Junior. Picture from the excellent book: Birth of the Beetle by Chris Barber

75 years later, maybe a new challenge...
Exactly same place, same cars, but new picture ! :wink:

Christian, it's really nice and great to drive your fantastic car on Europe roads. This is a real gift for our eyes, thanks from France !

Tanguy

Kjell Roar Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:17 am

Just love to see the car being used, and the history behind!

Beautiful pictures!

:D :D :D

Andi K Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:14 pm

some more 1938 pictures from Edelweissspitze (top of the Pass):

volksfahrer.nl Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:54 am

Awesome that this car is actually driven!!

Well done Christian!

The Gross Glockner is a great ride.
Did it in my '69 and '58.

Björn Schewe Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:48 am

http://www.zwischengas.com/assets/12c8edbc-ad6b-47...-2012.html