TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: DIY mud flap brackets?
airkooledchris Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 pm

Has anyone ever found a way to use generic mud flaps on a vanagon?

With so many inexpensive non-stock mudflaps out there, it seems there should be a way to just get some brackets for mounting them Vs the kind that you butcher into the side of the body of the van.

ddonnell Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:13 pm

Hate to be 'that' guy, but...

I just asked that question.....

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3581174#3581174

airkooledchris Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:01 am

unfortunately with a thread title like that it's going to be hard to get much additional feedback if the few that were curious enough to click didn't get you enough info to go off of.

climberjohn Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:35 am

Okay, another Thread from the Dead!

(Hee, hee, I just made that up. Pretty funny name for a revived thread, don't you think?

I just did this, so I wanted to past. It always irked me that four generic mudflaps from the FLAPS cost a mere for $20, but the "official" VW ones were $150 for a set of four! Ouch!

So, I installed the generic ones. They have a nice mountain on them, suitable for an occasional climbing base camp van like this one.

Front right detail

Rear right detail

The mudflaps came with black self drilling sheet metal screws. I used 3 on each one to secure to the fender lip.

I made a bracket for the rear mudflaps out of 3/4 inch wide aluminum stock from the local hardware store, about $4 for a 4 foot length. See photo for details. It's reasonably secure. It has a 90 degree bend in it, made with pliers and a vise.

Rear bracket detail

I mounted the fronts with a 3" x 1/4" machine screw, 3 lock nuts, and 2 fender washers. I drilled a 1/4 hole into the space of the jack mount. The fronts feel very secure.

Front mounting detail

- I added a bead of heavy duty silicone all around the flap to try and keep water away from the screws and holes.
- The bottom of the flaps hang about 7 inches from the ground.
- Stainless steel hardware used throughout.
- Best Tip: Use needle nose vise grip pliers or spring clamps to hold mudflap in the proper place while you mark the exact location with fine tip sharpie pen and maybe some tick marks with tape.
- Important: If you use too long a screw, it may rub on your front tire when you turn! This is BAD! Check this carefully before driving and shorten screw with a hacksaw if needed. (Ask me how I know this . . .)

Overall, a fun and easy project! Now I can save my $$$ for new springs . . .

Left side:

-CJ

buspor63 Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:06 pm

I like it! Good work around for a too $$$$$ add on.

MichaelRpdx Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:06 am

climberjohn wrote: Okay, another Thread from the Dead!

(Hee, hee, I just made that up. Pretty funny name for a revived thread, don't you think?
But if it's revived is it still dead? It's not...not...gasp...Zombie thread?

climberjohn wrote:
- Stainless steel hardware used throughout.

Which raises the question: did you spend more on stainless nuts, bolts and washers than you did on the FLAPS flaps?

Timwhy Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:29 am

Those mountain flaps are the same ones that I used to repair my propane mudflap
that the PO had duct taped to keep from falling off. I applied my own VW sticker to it.
Heftsmerf don't read this post it mentions some STICKERS!

jamowmow Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:34 am

@climberjohn, great idea and thanks for the detailed walkthrough! This is next on my list.

Jeffrey Lee Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:22 pm

When I replaced the left-front mudflap that protects the Westfalia propane tank, I bought one of these decals to jazz it up.

My significant other vetoed the proposal so now Mudflap Girl is on my file cabinet ...

IdahoDoug Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:38 pm

I don't need any mudflaps, but I had to check in to say that's a pretty good mudflap girl in several notable updates from the original seen all over the southern USA. My one complaint is that her arms look bigger than mine.