TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wide 5's on a SQB
RATTRP Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:45 am

I recently ran across a set of wide five smoothie wheels made for the T3. $150.00 for the set of four and they are "like" new!
My current setup is the 4 lug pattern on a 69' SQB. I would prefer to use the smoothies, I like the way they look... I realize I would have to use the adapters to make em' work... Has anyone done this and are there any issues with this application? Thanks---

DMNCLNR Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:58 am

RATTRP wrote: I recently ran across a set of wide five smoothie wheels made for the T3. $150.00 for the set of four and they are "like" new!
My current setup is the 4 lug pattern on a 69' SQB. I would prefer to use the smoothies, I like the way they look... I realize I would have to use the adapters to make em' work... Has anyone done this and are there any issues with this application? Thanks---

Adapters will not work with the disk brake set up in the front, and they will stick out too far in the back.

RATTRP Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:16 pm

Seriously... that sucks royally!!! I always get mixed answers when I ask these questions, the sellers of the items (lug adaptors) always tell you, sure they will fit, not a problem at all!

I wish there were a way to make em' work cause they are really a nice set of wheels!!! Thanks for the info... :)

RATTRP Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:21 pm

So... is there any way to make these wheels work or am I just crap outta luck? I would like to use smoothie style wheels on my ride, but I am having a hard time finding the right wheel/fit for my application...

localboy Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:46 pm

They would work on a '65 and earlier stock T3. :wink:

gixxer 711 Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:59 pm

RATTRP wrote: So... is there any way to make these wheels work or am I just crap outta luck? I would like to use smoothie style wheels on my ride, but I am having a hard time finding the right wheel/fit for my application...

put and early front beam on the front and swap the rear drums. you can also get a wide 5 front disc setup.

jimmynotch Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:08 pm

To make wide 5's work you will have to do either one of several options... none of which are cheap. Option #1- Source early Wide 5 brake stuff. You will need drums for the rear and everything from the spindle to the drums in front. The biggest problem with this is that the Wide 5 brake stuff is getting hard to find and is spendy when in usable condition. Plus, you are taking a step backward as far as braking technology goes. Option #2- Run a wide 5 disc kit sold by a very few vendors that will work for type 3's. This is also an expensive option. CSP's kit is over $1K last I looked and Airkewld's wasnt much cheaper. There is a thread here somewhere that is a full write-up on how to modify T-1 Wide 5 disks to work, but be prepared for some serious work and skill, though much cheaper than some of the other options. You still have to find viable rear drums though and they are getting hard to find.

squaretobehip Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:20 pm

adapters make me nervous... :?

if you wanna get rid of 'em, i'll take them off your hands.

flyinglow94 Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:13 pm

Here you go. With the adapters you will need a 1/4 spacer behind them so they wont hit the calipers. Or you can do the bug disc set up and not have any clearance issues.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2150426&highlight=#2150426

jroymcd Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:18 am

Are the 4 lug type 3 wheels different than a 4 lug bug wheels?

notchboy Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:06 am

bolt pattern no, off set yes.

blankmange Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:33 am

jroymcd wrote: Are the 4 lug type 3 wheels different than a 4 lug bug wheels?

all Type 3 wheels are different than Type 1 wheels...

bigracedad Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:45 pm

Here's a fake 4 bolt smoothie plastic insert.... I can't take credit for this.. fonzy over on the volksrods forum made this and I just copied it... here's a pic of my square..........

here's the link to the build forum over at volksrods.com.... thanks to fonzy

http://www.volksrods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24720

walmart is where I got the 'fiesta platters' they come 2 for 3 bucks and the trim rings are from ebay 50 bucks new

lowindO Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:13 pm

you can use the adapters but it will add 1/2" of width to each side. you space 1/4" behind the adapters and the adapters are 1/4" thick = 1/2" per side or 1" total track.

the right way to do it is to spend almost as much money as you did buying your car and slap on 4-wheel wide 5 disc.

RATTRP Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:54 pm

Dude... I gotta say Fonzy's idea to use the chip/dip platter for smootie inserts is GENIUS!!! How friggin cool is that?!

RATTRP Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:56 pm

GEEZ... I am retarded! I meant to spell smoothie, not smootie! :shock:

Mike Fisher Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:38 am

You can go back at any time to Quote or Edit your Posts to fix/change/ad to them.