TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Dormobile top restoration Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
xavi_242 Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:47 am

Well I bought a Dormy top to hack it in my 67 SO42.

I'll post here all the process from the cleaning, replacing, fixing the roof till the final cutting ( :? ) and fitting.

the day I picked up... I made 500+ km to get it.

most of the parts are there :)

rotten cots at the edges... will try to save center of them...

Top to body seal

window seal

vent mechanism ready to be restored

Detail of how canopy attaches to top, Polyurethane was used alla round and in every bolt

only fiberglass ready to 0000# wet sand and polish

strange looking hinge reinforcement... :?:

ouch!

I will made a new hinge reinforcement

wanted to save canopy but there are zillions of small craks and some big tears... too dry and fragile...

more to come... :)

BarryL Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:52 am

xavi_242 Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:55 am

^^?? ^^

blackdog1999 Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:06 am

I am really excited for you. I have one big bit of advice for you that I learned many years ago working in a body & paint shop. Before you cut the roof just make sure to measure twice so you only have to cut once. That is a big hole & you do not want to make it too big. :shock:

I am also getting ready to do another Dorm hack in the next few weeks. I will try to post some info & pics when I do the cutting.

Major Woody Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 am

Enter Pyroman, stage left, in the Rush Limbaugh mask...

pyrOman Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:29 am

Major Woody wrote: Enter Pyroman, stage left, in the Rush Limbaugh mask...

hussein says:

:P

xavi_242 Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:35 am

blackdog1999 wrote: I am really excited for you. I have one big bit of advice for you that I learned many years ago working in a body & paint shop. Before you cut the roof just make sure to measure twice so you only have to cut once. That is a big hole & you do not want to make it too big. :shock:

I am also getting ready to do another Dorm hack in the next few weeks. I will try to post some info & pics when I do the cutting.

It will be fine if you post some info and detail pics ;)

blackdog1999 Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:41 pm

xavi_242 wrote: blackdog1999 wrote: I am really excited for you. I have one big bit of advice for you that I learned many years ago working in a body & paint shop. Before you cut the roof just make sure to measure twice so you only have to cut once. That is a big hole & you do not want to make it too big. :shock:

It will be fine if you post some info and detail pics ;)

I'll do you one better. I'll install your Dorm top for the cost of a plane tickect. :lol:

DormobileDave67 Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:58 pm

hope it works for ya

originalo Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:22 am

wanted to save canopy but there are zillions of small craks and some big tears... too dry and fragile...

To my knowledge the canopy can still be ordered at DORMOBILE in the UK. Not cheap though. A buddy of mine ordered it last year. Although it came from the OEM, the fit was not too great and a bit tricky. But it worked out in skilful hands.

I think , they still carry some of the seals, too. To be doublechecked with DORMOBILE factory.

Good success!!

iveedubbin Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:40 pm

I'll be keeping track on the progress of this install, I will also be doing a Dormy top install onto my 63 soon, with the help of pyrOman :D

xavi_242 Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:18 am

originalo wrote: To my knowledge the canopy can still be ordered at DORMOBILE in the UK. Not cheap though. A buddy of mine ordered it last year. Although it came from the OEM, the fit was not too great and a bit tricky. But it worked out in skilful hands.

I think , they still carry some of the seals, too. To be doublechecked with DORMOBILE factory.

Good success!!

yes I already checked at dormobile.co.uk and contacted Tim, he gave me all the parts he carry and of course the prices... Some parts are at a afine price but others like canopy are very expensive... canopy is 367GBP for a non UK resident and you should add shipping costs...

I saw pics from a guy installing that canopy and it is true that it don't fit as tight as a factory installed... maybe the skills when installing it are very important... I guess that replacing canopy will be a PITA :?

Damon22 Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:59 am

At least the exchange rate is working in your favour these days!
Dormy tops are great.

xavi_242 Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:35 am

SS bolts and nuts all around... new window seals and polyhuretane sealer

this seal will do the job... but not looks like the OG :(

vent seal...

the new I found at a hardware store... less than 1/2 price other sells for specyfic dormy windows...

ready to reassemble :)

wet sanding...

anyone knows the purpose of the ring screw?? there are 4.

my son was really happy and his looking fordward to go camping with the new top :)

xavi_242 Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:51 am

just ended assemblig the vents hardware... put washer like factory fitting but in SS and rivets. Lubed all joints with grease for a porper movement as the rivets left the joints very tight.

there is a missing adjusting knob, if anyone have one for spare please I need one :)

DormobileDave67 Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:26 pm

iwas looking at my dormy and i didnt see a ring screw.

xavi_242 Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:08 pm

put the trim-snake that was hard in the bath with hot water and then left it the whole night sitting under a wardoble. After all it looks now much better, then I cleaned it.

before: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=527681

Also cleaned the retaining leather straps.

xavi_242 Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:02 pm

more work done today... polished aluminium plates. Didn't go to mirror finish, looks good. Removed rust from springs and cleaned it well.

Also painted with galvanized paint the telescopic bars... didn't took pics...

westy_LA_fade_away Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:20 pm

Looking Good, Xavi! Can't wait to see it completed!

-Marc

xavi_242 Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:41 pm

westy_LA_fade_away wrote: Looking Good, Xavi! Can't wait to see it completed!

-Marc
thanks Marc... I hope to have it finished for the summer holidays...