TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My Express engine Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
vicpolky Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:58 am

Fantastic motor, great work.
It sounds great in the film too 8) 8)

oval53/split52 Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:23 am

I had to make some of these for my kit. Quite easy, but be carefull and take your time when drilling backelite. If its turning too fast, the bakelite will soon start burning.

Repro:

OG:

Peter_Plade Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:52 am

Looks like that is just what I need!
You don´t have a extra set lying? :D

oval53/split52 Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:19 pm

Peter_Plade wrote: Looks like that is just what I need!
You don´t have a extra set lying? :D

Hmm. No. I bought those from a guy here in Norway. I bellieve it was this guy: http://www.velosiped.no

They needed a bit work before they can be fitted, but its absolutely worth it :-)

Ninamashr Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:17 am

Congrats Peter, That engine sounds and looks awesome (even though it's missing a carb :wink: )

'64cal lookdub Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:06 pm

Beautiful engine!

Peter_Plade Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:15 am

Here is a fresh picture of the motor, and I think I have solved the starting problems, I´ve changed the needlevalves to some nos ones, it seems that it has helped. But I´m still considering making some plates to isolate from manifold to carb.

marcnr1 Sun May 10, 2009 11:42 pm

great engine in a great car, I looked at your car at the mai kafer treffen in hannover! I am trying to build a engine like that myself. I am in doubt if I build the inlet manifolds myself or buy them at riechert in germany.

Mark

Peter_Plade Mon May 11, 2009 6:38 am

Hi thank you for the nice words!
I would go for the riechert option, seems like they work very well!

Peter_Plade Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:48 am

New features for the motor this winther, is the heads have been redone with new seats/guides and new valves.
The inlet valves is Okrasa valves, so they are 33mm instead of stock 30mm.

Next step is bigger venturis.

oval56 Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:05 am

Peter_Plade wrote: New features for the motor this winther, is the heads have been redone with new seats/guides and new valves.

Next step is bigger venturi

:wink: :lol: :D

good job

is you flywheel lightened / machined balanced?

77ducci Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:07 am

marcnr1 wrote: great engine in a great car, I looked at your car at the mai kafer treffen in hannover! I am trying to build a engine like that myself. I am in doubt if I build the inlet manifolds myself or buy them at riechert in germany.

Mark

Made mine myself. My first set was not so good, but my second set came out very nice:

If you would like any details you can PM me.

marcnr1 Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:21 am

77ducci wrote: marcnr1 wrote: great engine in a great car, I looked at your car at the mai kafer treffen in hannover! I am trying to build a engine like that myself. I am in doubt if I build the inlet manifolds myself or buy them at riechert in germany.

Mark

Made mine myself. My first set was not so good, but my second set came out very nice:

If you would like any details you can PM me.

I've already bought a set and almost ready 'building' the engine. Parts are powdercoated en painted as we speak.

Peter_Plade Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:09 am

oval56 wrote: Peter_Plade wrote: New features for the motor this winther, is the heads have been redone with new seats/guides and new valves.

Next step is bigger venturi

:wink: :lol: :D

good job

is you flywheel lightened / machined balanced?

Yes ofcourse, both lightned and balanced with the flywheel the clutch pressur eplate and the pulley.
And all the rods and pistons is weighed of to the same weight.

Peter_Plade Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:47 pm

Finally it was time to get the Express motor on the dyno again.
It runs really good now, but the bigger venturies were too much for it, so we went back to the stock ones.
But it seems the new heads are working really well.

oval56 Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:25 pm

Peter_Plade wrote: Finally it was time to get the Express motor on the dyno again.
It runs really good now, but the bigger venturies were too much for it, so we went back to the stock ones.
But it seems the new heads are working really well.

thumbs up peter, but i think i have mentioned it, the problem is the cam, heads are fine, valves and rest also but now the original cam is on the end of the possibilities... so next step is an custom grind cam, to get more rpm's and than use the bigger venturis.... :wink: but good to hear that the heads are working fine... :wink:

Peter_Plade Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:41 pm

Hi Andi I allready have a mr okrasa cam in it.
But I´m real satisfied with how it runs now, it has maximum torque around 3000rpm that is perfect because that is were it goes 100km/h.

oval56 Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:24 am

Peter_Plade wrote: Hi Andi I allready have a mr okrasa cam in it.
But I´m real satisfied with how it runs now, it has maximum torque around 3000rpm that is perfect because that is were it goes 100km/h.

mhhh but than the bigger venturis should work better... that was my experience...

Peter_Plade Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:08 am

The first run on the dyno was 44hp, after cahnging the venturies it was 46hp. And then we gawe it a litttle more timing.
But I´m happy :-) never thought I would get over 50hp with it.

marcnr1 Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:42 am

Peter_Plade wrote: The first run on the dyno was 44hp, after cahnging the venturies it was 46hp. And then we gawe it a litttle more timing.
But I´m happy :-) never thought I would get over 50hp with it.

At what rpm did you het that horsepower?