TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Let's Play, WTF is That!?! Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 378, 379, 380, 381, 382  Next
finster Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:41 am

???

mark tucker Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:20 pm

I think I saw one of those in nashville at the lane museem... the brand escapes me..

GArBa Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:35 am

soviet GAZ M-20 or its polish licensed version FSO Warszawa. Hard to tell them apart, esp. from this angle.

edit: magnifying the picrure the hubcaps seem to have the horizontal lines encompassing the cyrillic "GAZ" script, so I'd place my bets on the first option.

finster Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:35 am

yep garba - '56 gaz 'pobeda' m20, currently up for sale in london for £87k...reminds me of the peugeot 203
ps I'll blur out hub caps next time...

GArBa Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:23 pm

here's another one, for someone should be really easy (and I don't need to blur the badge):

calvinater Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:36 pm

Looks Italian.

GArBa Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:23 pm

it is... but there's more than meets the eye in that little car.

finster Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:06 am

'59 ferrarina tipo 854. powered by 1/3rd of a 250gt engine = 850cc producing 75 hp at 6800 rpm

GArBa Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:00 am

we have a winner. Now for the bonus points:

What weapon does the logo on the grille that is generically referred in the article as a "carbine" exaxtly represent?

What production car spanned from this prototype?

finster Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:06 pm

production car was the asa 1000gt
'Now, here was Enzo Ferrari, who obviously knew of Piero Beretta’s fascination with building a small car, inviting him to Maranello. When they arrived Ugo explained that Enzo Ferrari, ever the showman, whipped a cover off the Ferrarina and let them see the prototype. “ I turned to my uncle and said that’s a model of our new machine gun on the grille”. After a conversation Piero Beretta said that he really was no longer interested in building a car and so walked away from the deal. Clearly miffed, Enzo Ferrari had the machine gun badge taken off the grille and replaced with a white star. A couple of years later he sold the project to the De Nora brothers who punched the 850cc engine out to 1000ccs, clothed it in a neat little coupe body and renamed it the ASA Mille. Pretty though it was it was far too expensive to be a commercial success and the company eventually folded.'

GArBa Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:51 pm

the story I knew is that was not a new machine gun but rather a MAB38, one of the most successful firearms in Beretta's history, but that's more or less it.

moreover, when the De Nora deal was done, the car already had the new body, designed by Giugiaro for Bertone; Ferrari had the design, the Bizzarrini-designed chassis and the Chiti-tuned engine. ASA had to be little more than a facade, with the engines and chassis provided by Ferrari and the bodies by Bertone.
Bertone however backed out of the deal, so a new coachbuilder had to be found (Touring/Marrazzi). In the end the ASA proved to be a commercial failure mainly because Enzo Ferrari did not want any evidence of his company's involvement with the car and his press office kept actively denying any Ferrari involvment with ASA up to his death more than 20 years after ASA ultimate closure. Commercial reasons? Bad feelings towards a project that was the brainchild of Bizzarrini and Chiti? Who knows. Fact is, Enzo almost did the same mistake with the Dino.

hitest Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:47 pm

It's Pie(t)ro...

Abscate Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:11 pm

Mannlicher Carcano.

Now we know what really happened at Dealy Plaza

GArBa Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:27 am

Abscate wrote: Mannlicher Carcano.

common misnaming, dating back to the Warren commission. the Dallas rifle was a Carcano 91/38. It originates because Carcano rifles use Mannlicher-type magazines.

It's a bit like calling a car a Porsche-whatever because its gearbox uses Porsche-type syncros.

EverettB Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:31 am

From another thread

What's that wagon front and center?
And the wagon in front of the Bus?

60ragtop Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:04 am

In front of the bus is a 58 chevy maybe a brookwood ?
The other has Rambler blood

[email protected] Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:07 am

Looks like 58 Rambler

cdennisg Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:35 am

EverettB wrote: From another thread

What's that wagon front and center?
And the wagon in front of the Bus?

I was thinking of this in the other thread, too.

For fun, let's try to date the photo by finding the youngest cars.

The bus is likely a 64 or 65, hard to tell if that is Turkis or Velvet green.

The White GTO down front is a 64 or 65 (?), the gold beast next to it is similar in age.

The two wagons in the intersection seem to be 66-67-ish.

And that turquoise Chevy with the large cabover camper looks like maybe a 67, too.

What is the red car left of the intersection, Malibu?

60ragtop Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:05 am

Buick or Oldsmobile

finster Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:03 pm

What is the car nosing in at the right behind the pick-up?