TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Vintage And Old VW Pics Topic Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 460, 461, 462 ... 599, 600, 601  Next
stale air Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:25 pm

stale air Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:27 pm

stale air Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:28 pm

Evil Clown Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:14 pm

stale air wrote:

Wooden Shoes 8)

finster Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:31 am

and a centurion(?) tank lurking behind the market stall :shock:

Rome Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:38 am

You posted an interesting photo, Everett:

Spa-Francorchamps is a race circuit located in Belgium, based on closed-off public roads. Note that the 3 rows of Beetles are similar to the Belgian flag colors of red-yellow-black. This could've been a conservative speed small promotional drive, since hubcaps and glass headlamp covers that are not taped up for glass breakage retention would not be allowed for an active race. The paper signs in the upper center of the windshield could be vehicle ID tags for VIPs or possibly Belgian VW dealer principals. Most cars appear to have 2 occupants, further supporting the idea of a promo drive possibly worked around an important car race event. Amount of spectators would be waiting for the main race event.

No front turn signals + large rear window would date this from late '57 calendar year ('58 model year) thru summer '60 (end of '60 MY). Unusual that the front row of red Beetles don't have 2-toned rims. I would not be surprised if all the license plates were consecutive, indicating a bulk registration session from the Belgian VW distributor D'Ieteren.

finster Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:00 am

^^ I can only see one person per car, the drivers are on the rhd side and the photo is reversed. other photos of this part of the track verify this, the cars have just crossed eau rouge. can't make out any number plate details though!

corrected image

Rome Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:19 am

Aha- I can now see that; thanks finster. I think the dark shadow of the inside C pillar gave me the illusion of a front "passenger".

Since you identified the section of the track, I checked some old photos of that stone bridge and general curves. Here is the area from the 1965 Belgian Grand Prix, with Graham Hill in the BRM in front:

EverettB Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:34 am

finster wrote: ^^ I can only see one person per car, the drivers are on the rhd side and the photo is reversed. other photos of this part of the track verify this, the cars have just crossed eau rouge. can't make out any number plate details though!

corrected image

Thanks, I missed the fact that it was reversed.

Roland sent me an enhanced version of it too:

EverettB Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:51 pm

Gerrelt Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:03 am

Evil Clown wrote: stale air wrote:

Wooden Shoes 8)

This picture was taken in Middelbrug, Zeeland province, the Netherlands: https://goo.gl/maps/hF6zT7eWd3MkizMb8

finster Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:47 am

thanks gerrelt, I'm still wondering why there's a tank parked up though

danfromsyr Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:16 am

good lordy that's ALOT of bricks.

Gerrelt Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:21 pm

finster wrote: thanks gerrelt, I'm still wondering why there's a tank parked up though

I think it's a recruiting thing from the army. It looks like the sign in front of it reads "Paraat", which roughly tranlates to "Prepared/Ready for action".
Also the high signs in front of the tank shows a side profile of a soldier's head.
And it almost looks like the brown tent in front of it all has rifles leaning against it?
The picture is probably taken around 10 years after the end of WWII.

I like the old Heineken bicycle stand in the front of the picture. It still says "Heineken's bier", which means "beer of Heineken". You don't see the " 's " anymore now, you only see "Heineken bier".
BTW, Grolsch is the better beer of the Netherlands... :wink:

stale air Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm

stale air Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:25 pm

René R. Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:05 am

EverettB Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:48 pm

René R. wrote:
Fight the patriarchy ladies

stale air Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:55 pm

EverettB wrote: René R. wrote:
Fight the patriarchy ladies

Power to the people!!
Free Huey!
"You Can Jail a Revolutionary,
But You Can't Jail the Revolution"

René R. Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:08 am

I meant to add a caption to that picture:

Quote: Yale student members of the New Haven Women’s Liberation Rock Band in 1972.