TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Replacing Side Window Seal On a Westy
Wolfram Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:56 am

I sent my '88 to have the side window seals replaced and the shop called to say that they could not get at the left rear ones without the cabinets being pulled.
Has anyone else experienced this? It would be a bitch to have to pull the cabinets just to replace the seal.

thanks
Geoff

MarkWard Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:14 am

The windows are designed to be "pulled" in. There is no room to really work a window in behind the cabinet. If I recall, just replacing my curtain behind the cabinet was a chore. I do know of someone that replaced a windshield from the inside out on a Scirocco once. They were not familiar with how to "pull" one the proper way. I suppose, you might be able to do something similar. Most shops are in the business to make money. Trying to change the L/R window seal of a camper without removing the cabinet would not be worth while. If you have rear AC it will be an even bigger pain in the arse. Regards,

ftp2leta Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:48 pm

Wolfram wrote: I sent my '88 to have the side window seals replaced and the shop called to say that they could not get at the left rear ones without the cabinets being pulled.
Has anyone else experienced this? It would be a bitch to have to pull the cabinets just to replace the seal.

thanks
Geoff

If you 88 as the rear plastic vent at the rear of each side window (part of window),

it's impossible to put the window back with the cabinet.

If you have AC.... = not good, mucho money and hours to work around that situation.

Ben