TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sea Blue experts/nerds req'd... 2 different versions? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
dave123 Sun May 03, 2009 2:33 am

BarryL wrote: The top blue is 360 and the bottom is 361.

I'd say thats a typographical error with this companies colour sheet :-k

.65vw Sun May 03, 2009 3:11 pm

There have been previous threads on this subject, but I dont know how to paste the links in.

Everett did confirm Type 1 SeaBlue 1, type 2 SeaBlue 2

Yep, the picture posted does show the shades look different in that shot, but other of my bug pictures that have both VW's in the same shot show the bugs are almost the same color. In person the shades are off a bit.
Even with pictures of my same bug, some pictures look ligher some darker. You cannot really tell true colors on a computer from a picture posted by another.

Its lighting, camera, monitor,video card, paint mix, single coat or two stage, the paint supplier, age, and on and on. If you want an exact paint match you do need to take an existing painted part to get your new paint matched to.

Also check the samba technical paint section for both the bus and bug. Scroll way down to the bottom of each page and you will see Sea Blue #1 in the Type 1 list, and Sea Blue #2 in the Type 2 list (bottom of the page, not the middle).

You can further frustrate yourself by looking at posted pictures of aleged Seablue Bugs/Buses. Even on the Samba in the Technical paint section the two bugs shown as Sea Blue examples (under the 64-66 years) look different, one lighter one darker.

In a show last year, my original 65 Sea Blue was next to another persons original 65 Sea Blue, and they didnt match at all. The owner had never had his bug painted and it lived in a garage its whole life and was nearly perfect (original tires with retreads!). Theirs was much lighter and mine much darker. I have read that the factory sometime ran out of the darker Seablue #1 for the bugs and just used the SeaBlue #2 that was on hand and supposed to be for the bus to keep the bug production lines going.

And a side tangent on formula mixed paints matching the original VW colors: If Wolfsburg West supposedly has the only formula for VW L466 why does it not match any of my original 65 VW L466 parts on two seperate 65 VW's? The WW L466 is very beige and dosent match at all the 44 year old steering column, wheel, or back seat rail in two 65 bugs.

As mentioned, paint matching is a pain when you are trying to get an exact color or match, and having paint mixed from an example you provide is the only way to end up with the color you expected to get, correct or not. In the end, its the color you want/expect/are used to thats the correct one for you even if there are multipe SeaBlues to choose from or that were used.

Good luck on your choice. After you go over all the opinions, look at hundreds of example/pictures, select the SeaBlue you like the best and take the example to be color matched. I personally like the darker shade because thats what I have and think original is, same as others think that have lighter SeaBlue VW's, theirs is correct. Yes to both.

dave123 Mon May 04, 2009 12:35 am

Thanks for extensive info... i have concluded same, i.e. it doesnt matter which shade is 'correct', i'll just go for the one i like most.

Problem is my bus was puke green originally so i have no parts to match off.

I'll get my new sprayer to mix up his shade and see if i like that :) If i dont, i'll worry about it then!

BarryL Mon May 04, 2009 9:27 am

dave123 wrote: BarryL wrote: The top blue is 360 and the bottom is 361.

I'd say thats a typographical error with this companies colour sheet :-k

Oh, daggummit: you're right! I promise I'll never do a hasty crop job again. Both the top and bottom say L360. Below those two is L361 as Slate Blue. It's a Ditzler/PPG chip-chart.

AlteWagen Mon May 04, 2009 10:07 pm

I took my chip sheet to the bug in yesterday. matched to some og paint cars. All vehicles were faded but easily distinguished as dark blue (SB1) or blue green (SB2)

Sea Blue #1 is def a bus color

Sea Blue #2 is def a bug color

what sneazel said about factory running out of paint makes sense, but the majority of SB2 (green hue) is what is the norm for type I.

I wont post anymore comments on the subject as I have seen it with my own eyes and not on a computer screen.

People with restored vehicles want to fight to the end that they have the correct color even when they dont as its too late to repaint and that $7K they spent just cant be wrong.

dave123 Tue May 05, 2009 1:52 am

I agree with you derluftwagen... i think SB1 is the 'proper' bus colour, and i think that a lot of subsequent buses end up getting re-painted SB2. Thats how i always remembered it from buses in the UK (faded orig paint buses) and how it looks on the screen to me.

I'll have to pester PPG in Australia further to see if they cant dig out the formula for both... i think the one they have given me is SB2.

dave123 Wed May 13, 2009 7:39 am

I stumbled across this photo of Vermeulens bus on the SSVC forum... he says its all original paint except for the front panel, which was resprayed:

To me the match is not great - those are different colours. I reckon that the body is the original Sea Blue 1 colour but he has used Sea Blue 2 for the respray on the nose? Its greener.

Just putting this up here because i think its the only photo yet posted which accurately shows (in the same photo with the same lighting) the difference between SB1 and SB2.

:)

WILL-T Wed May 13, 2009 8:44 am

My head hurts :?

AlteWagen Wed May 13, 2009 8:57 am

dave123 wrote:

To me the match is not great - those are different colours. I reckon that the body is the original Sea Blue 1 colour but he has used Sea Blue 2 for the respray on the nose? Its greener.

Just putting this up here because i think its the only photo yet posted which accurately shows (in the same photo with the same lighting) the difference between SB1 and SB2.

:)

I know I said I would no longer post but the evidence is clear with this pic. I do believe the body is SB1 and the nose respray is SB2. Thanks for the clarification!!! :D

dave123 Wed May 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Yes, I think its clear to see - some good detective work by all involved! I just contacted PPG in the states to get my own personal paint problem sorted out (which i still haven't) and they maintain that SB1 is a Karmann Ghia colour! #-o

Another clue to the confusion - this gas door...the original un-faded part is clearly SB1, but the faded part looks more SB2. Curious...

So, I have another theory to propose - SB2 is the auto-refinishers attempt at matching a faded SB1, and hence is listed seperately but under the same code/name. IT WAS NEVER USED BY VW FROM THE FACTORY.

My supporting evidence for this is:

1. It just seems insane that Volkswagen would develop 2 paint colours but give them the same name and code. Quality and Change Control in a manufacturing environment is not that sloppy (ever seen two different parts with the exact same part number? No). Remember these are Germans we are deaing with - masters of organisation!

2. No one has yet produced any original Volkswagen branded literature that makes any reference to anything other than "L360 Sea Blue".

3. This very much explains the wide variety in appearance of re-sprayed SB vehicles - They have all been sprayed to whatever SB2 formulation the paint company has made, depending on how faded the original paint has become.

BarryL wrote: ... off a '65 bus gas door.

Of course, someone will now disprove me! :lol:

.65vw Wed May 13, 2009 6:10 pm

3. This very much explains the wide variety in appearance of re-sprayed SB vehicles - They have all been sprayed to whatever SB2 formulation the paint company has made, depending on how faded the original paint has become

I agree, this does make sence.

But I never get tired of seeing examples of the different shades on buses, bugs and ghias that others have, and reading opinions on the color.

Great pictures in the posts too, especially the two tone bus (whats that blue color under the door edges?).

dave123 Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:21 am

Just to close this off, here's how our colour turned out...

Veeeeery happy :D

BarryL Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:01 am

You and they did right. Sheesh that's so boss.

dave123 Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:24 am

Thanks! :D

zozo Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:25 am

Holy smokes! That's quite.....beautiful. Congrats.

Doubledoor Dave Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:30 am

dave123 wrote: Just to close this off, here's how our colour turned out...

Veeeeery happy :D

Looks Great,,,,except the white looks too white. Is that cumulus white 1 or cumulus white 2? :wink:

dave123 Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:27 am

Aaaaahhhh!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

chiroracer Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:49 am

That is RIGHT! x2 (and I am color blind) My friend and I restored a 66 deluxe in 1985 to the wrong sea blue SB2 it still looked cool compared to all of the other 80's era "restorations".but only 3/4 wood. Props to dave for a job well done! el burro

hitest Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:52 pm

Dave123 and all, if anybody needs me- I'll be in my garage setting fire to my '66...

Very beautiful.

dave123 Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:58 am

chiroracer wrote: but only 3/4 wood. Props to dave for a job well done! el burro

How much wood did i make?!

4/5ths?

:lol: :o

How much is enough to be of use?!!!!!