TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: what's the best engine size for a daily driver with 150HP Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Hotrodvw Fri May 01, 2009 11:21 pm

So....?? It's not driving the fan. That's where the drag is, not the belt. The belt drag is minute compared to the fan.

Terry Cloyd Fri May 01, 2009 11:27 pm

Hotrodvw wrote: So....?? It's not driving the fan. That's where the drag is, not the belt. The belt drag is minute compared to the fan.

You are lost with John, Eric, Stripped66, and Nick. Too funny. The belt takes HPs to spin :lol: :lol:

Hotrodvw Fri May 01, 2009 11:29 pm

But not near as much as that fan............again, it's minute in comparison. The rotating drag from the fan is much more different than a belt.

Stripped66 Sat May 02, 2009 6:08 am

Terry Cloyd wrote: Hotrodvw wrote: So....?? It's not driving the fan. That's where the drag is, not the belt. The belt drag is minute compared to the fan.

You are lost with John, Eric, Stripped66, and Nick. Too funny. The belt takes HPs to spin :lol: :lol:

So Terry, what kind of fancy clutch do you run that so effectively disengages you from reality?

The Noof Sat May 02, 2009 6:16 am

[quote="Stripped66"] Terry Cloyd wrote: Hotrodvw wrote: So....?? It's not driving the fan. That's where the drag is, not the belt. The belt drag is minute compared to the fan.

So Terry, what kind of fancy clutch do you run that so effectively disengages you from reality?[/quote

The "Peyote' clutch.

Hotrodvw Sat May 02, 2009 6:46 am

Stripped66 wrote: Terry Cloyd wrote: Hotrodvw wrote: So....?? It's not driving the fan. That's where the drag is, not the belt. The belt drag is minute compared to the fan.

So Terry, what kind of fancy clutch do you run that so effectively disengages you from reality?

So I have to ask..........do you have any part numbers, specs, other pics etc... on that set up?? I have thought about something like this, them bam, you've done it. 8)

Tbirdusa Sat May 02, 2009 6:48 am

Terrance, are you saying to put the clutch on the end of the crankshaft so the belt stops rotating when disengaged, thus stopping the fan and the alt?

Hotrodvw Sat May 02, 2009 6:49 am

That's what he's saying. So, if you run A/C, you're screwed. :lol:

Stripped66 Sat May 02, 2009 9:24 am

Hotrodvw wrote:
So I have to ask..........do you have any part numbers, specs, other pics etc... on that set up?? I have thought about something like this, them bam, you've done it. 8)

I gotta let you in on a secret...that pic was Photoshop'd to simply provide a picture of "what it would look like" in that thread you posted on the STF (that isn't even a picture of my engine...found that somewhere on the Samba, too). John Connolly sells a kit, but to my knowledge, I've never seen pictures of it.

*If* I were to make my own, I'd probably find an A/C clutch that has an undersized shaft compared to the VW generator/alternator, and ream it to the correct diameter and cut for a keyway. However, aside from hitting a pick-n-pull with a wrench and a gear puller, I wouldn't know what model compressor/vehicle to start with. Conversely, I do know that some of the later A/C compressors use a larger-diameter splined interface. I suppose an adapter could be machined to mate just about any clutch to the gen/alt shaft.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, but I'm certain that the premium John asks for his kit reflects the homework required to adapt the A/C clutch to the gen/alt.

Hotrodvw Sat May 02, 2009 9:33 am

Ahhh, ok. Time to hit the junk yards! :wink: Thanks

MURZI Sat May 02, 2009 10:09 am

jbreddawg wrote: Murzi, sounds kinda close to my build :lol:

I'm getting excited :D

AS21 case with all stroker machine work and full flow
DRD 82 mm Forged Crank
Kennedy Stage 1 PP and Dakin clutch
94 p&s set
CB 044 heads 42x37 dual springs with nice port/polish
engle 120 cam
Scat H-Beam rods vw journal 5.5 with new arp 2000 bolts
Scat solid rocker shafts /stock 1.1 rockers
Original Valve covers powdercoated and an6 bungs welded in
Chromoly pushrods
SS pushrod tubes New but empi "didnt know till I received them
New old stock german lifters ! Thanks samba !!
Scat steel on steel straight cut cam gears
CB pulley " berg equalizer clone"
1 1/2 quart sump
Berg 26mm oil pump ,berg cast iron cover
Berg linkage
Dual 44 webers , completely rebuilt with manifolds
36 vents
200 airs
55 idles
150 mains
CB oil breather/filler
010 distributor
Brazil short shroud with Fuel injected ring added.
Filter king fuel filter/regulator

In your buggy it will fly...trust me. Mine would catch rubber in all four gears with a 3.88 SSC and 295/50's. Perfect for the street. TONS OF TORQUE!!!

miniman82 Sat May 02, 2009 11:49 am

Terry Cloyd wrote: Hotrodvw wrote: So....?? It's not driving the fan. That's where the drag is, not the belt. The belt drag is minute compared to the fan.

That's right, Terrance. All 5 of us are diluted in our reality, not you. It's so much easier to
blame the rest of society, than it is to accept your own insanity, isn't it? :cry: Maybe we
should all start listening to you, then the VW community would be a much better place. We would
all have parted out orange sand rails from 1956 in our attics, eat oatmeal, and sh!t in our pants.

Hotrodvw Sat May 02, 2009 11:55 am

Dude..........I don't wann shit in my pants. :( I don't wanna be Terrence!!!!!! :shock:

miniman82 Sat May 02, 2009 11:57 am

Hotrodvw wrote: Dude..........I don't wann shit in my pants. :( I don't wanna be Terrence!!!!!! :shock:

Don't worry, you still know the difference between being awake and dreaming.

Terry Cloyd Sat May 02, 2009 1:38 pm

Stripped66 wrote: Hotrodvw wrote:

I gotta let you in on a secret...that pic was Photoshop'd to simply provide a picture of "what it would look like" in that thread you posted on the STF (that isn't even a picture of my engine...found that somewhere on the Samba, too). John Connolly sells a kit, but to my knowledge, I've never seen pictures of it.

*If* I were to make my own, I'd probably find an A/C clutch that has an undersized shaft compared to the VW generator/alternator, and ream it to the correct diameter and cut for a keyway. However, aside from hitting a pick-n-pull with a wrench and a gear puller, I wouldn't know what model compressor/vehicle to start with. Conversely, I do know that some of the later A/C compressors use a larger-diameter splined interface. I suppose an adapter could be machined to mate just about any clutch to the gen/alt shaft.

Sorry I can't be of any more help, but I'm certain that the premium John asks for his kit reflects the homework required to adapt the A/C clutch to the gen/alt.

Too funny 4 years ago John PM me about the clutch and he went the wrong way :lol: Look at what problems you have running your belt at high RPMs. Glenn has pictures that goes back over 30 years ago.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=118886&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Don Hatz built motors to put in Lynn Chenowth attack vehicle that went to war. What size motor do you think was a reliable and made horsepower?

Hotrodvw Sat May 02, 2009 10:46 pm

I got nothin'...........this old codger is just babbling. I can't translate his garble. Anyone?? :roll:

kuleinc Sat May 02, 2009 11:43 pm

If you put a clutch where the alternator or crank pulleys go, it will disengage the fan yes, but it will also disengage the alternator and you'll be running on batteries until it re-engages... AFAIK

Hotrodvw Sat May 02, 2009 11:46 pm

Yes. THis idea is for strip use only. You make your 1/8 or 1/4 mile run with the clutch disengaged. When you go through the traps, return to idle, and re-engage your fan clutch. This allows you to not have to remove your belt before each run, and the put it back on so you can get back to your pit. It's all at the flick of a switch.

kuleinc Sat May 02, 2009 11:49 pm

I guess thats pretty trick for racing, I had thought about something like that for a driver, but it' have to be on the fan side obviously. I also thought maybe I could have a door open to feed air from under the car into the fan hole at speed to cool the engine as well. Honestly its not needed though...

At least not if everything is running right.

I'm also thinking about somehow getting a TDI back there, but you know, money money money...

Hotrodvw Sat May 02, 2009 11:51 pm

Yep.......it's only $$$$$$$$. :wink: