TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Sunroof handle
J Flare Mon May 04, 2009 12:19 pm

Having trouble trying to get the handle to fit. The PO said it was correct but I'm not sure. It's a 66 Delux with a golde handle. The teeth inside the handle are fine and the mechanism has no teeth. It appears like you just slide it over and put in the set screw but the handle seems too small for the mechanism.

Any ideas?

BarryL Mon May 04, 2009 7:00 pm

Any pictures of both?

J Flare Mon May 04, 2009 7:06 pm

Hi Barry

Here is one of the handle. The mechanism is just a like for a door handle without the screw hole or teeth.

Braukuche Mon May 04, 2009 7:54 pm

J Flare wrote: Hi Barry

Here is one of the handle. The mechanism is just a like for a door handle without the screw hole or teeth.

Joe,
If you want you can come by my place and we can see if your handle will fit on my sunroof mechanism. It would at least narrow the problem down.
--Dan

J Flare Mon May 04, 2009 8:21 pm

Sounds good

I will catch up with you later this week sometime

Thanks

BarryL Tue May 05, 2009 7:02 am

It looks like the right handle. They went to the flat style so people would stop bonking their skulls, I've heard.

id'r Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:29 pm

Anyone have a closeup pic handy of the handle's retention screw? Mine is frozen/stripped and I wanted to take a look at what I'm about to drill into. Seems like the screw is threaded just under the slotted head?

BarryL Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:10 pm

Can you post a picture of your situation?

ozinbc Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:21 pm

just happened tp be installing mine- so here you go! When you say the mechanism has no teeth- I think a pic is needed, as the lock pivot certainly has teeth, the pin just stops the handle falling off. The handle meshes with the teeth on the locking spindle/pivot.

id'r Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:39 am

ozinbc wrote: just happened tp be installing mine- so here you go! When you say the mechanism has no teeth- I think a pic is needed, as the lock pivot certainly has teeth, the pin just stops the handle falling off. The handle meshes with the teeth on the locking spindle/pivot.

This is perfect, thanks. I'm drilling this frozen screw out and was just trying to assess what the screw looked like, in order to hopefully preserve the threads in the handle. The threads are actually much longer than I expected. If you still have it out, would you mind pulling a dimension on the length of the screw. It seems to me that I'm going to have to drill the entire length of the screw in order to get this handle off.

Has anyone had success with a helicoil in the event that the threads get stripped or damaged? Or any other fix? I was thinking the handle could be drilled out to be a through hole with a pressed in pin. I realize I can get a new or used handle, but I'm trying to save $$ where I can for the expensive bits needed in other areas of the bus.

BarryL Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:51 pm

Try using left had drills and I bet it comes out for you.

ozinbc Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:01 am

length of the thread is 8 mm