TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: brake light/generator light on same time
azsunny58 Mon May 11, 2009 9:27 pm

Hi everyone, we've got a curious occurance going on with our 73 thing.
While driving her one day the generator and brake warning light both came on at the same time. I've checked the brake fluid, and there are no obvious leaks in the wheel cylinders, the brake pedal still feels like it usually does. Don't quite understand why the generator light is lending sympathy support to the brake warning light, has anybody else had this experience?
Thanks,
Sunny

Towel Rail Mon May 11, 2009 9:38 pm

Maybe there's a short in the brake switch? Just a random guess.

- Scott

Ian Epperson Mon May 11, 2009 9:51 pm

The brake warning light has a feature where it tests the light while key is on but the engine is off - just like the gen and oil lights. With the older lights, you pushed them in to test, and you were supposed to do this every time you started the car - no one did. So, in the newer cars (like the Thing) this became automatic. When the gen light is on the first time, the brake warning light is supposed to test. After the gen light goes out, the brake warning light behaves as normal.

So, it's not a brake problem, it's a generator problem - and maybe a brake warning light problem that you didn't know about.

azsunny58 Tue May 12, 2009 5:06 am

Thanks Ian and Scott,
We'll take a look at the electrical and see if something doesn't show up.
Sunny

Towel Rail Tue May 12, 2009 11:36 am

I'd follow Ian's lead first -- that guy knows his stuff, and I've gotten a little rusty (in more way than one). :lol:

- Scott

Ian Epperson Tue May 12, 2009 11:52 am

Towel Rail wrote: I'd follow Ian's lead first -- that guy knows his stuff, and I've gotten a little rusty (in more way than one). :lol:t
A little wire wheel and POR-15, and you'll be fine! :D

LoveMyThing Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:16 am

Old thread. Now I am having this problem.

My generator seized so I replaced it.

Now, brand new generator and voltage regulator and the gen light and brake warning lights are coming on together and flickering off at high Rpms. I have 14.5 volts at the battery so the gen and voltage regulator seem to be working.

This has me perplexed.

Any suggestions?