TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Type 3 Truck - the "other" vw Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 81, 82, 83  Next
dc Wed May 13, 2009 6:55 pm

OK - so it's a "HACK" Let's get that right out there. But it's mine now - I like it's very weirdness :D This last weekend, I made a deal for this truck, after a couple of years of thinking about it. I know a few of you have seen this little weird-o in the flesh....but here's the deal. Someone, many years ago- at least 1975, according to documents found in the glovebox, made this truck out of a 1964 1500S. They used bus beltline pieces/corners and a bus rear window to carefully, and pretty professionally construct what you see here.

The truck (can it be called that?- that's what the title says) is in my driveway now. It's sitting on what's left of a '68 pan - VERY rusty. It looks like the rust is confined mostly to the pan - body is not TOO bad - though a fair amount of welding will be needed....good thing I'm getting better at welding.

I'll have more on this vehicle soon...for now, here's a few pictures. Check the gallery for a few more.

57baja Wed May 13, 2009 7:00 pm

That thing is sweet. I'm with ya. If you were local, I'd help ya build it!

j5josher Wed May 13, 2009 7:01 pm

no rears.. and i found one of these too... macco did them for a while... or did the one i know about... if i have the money i would buy it just to save it..

JSMskater Wed May 13, 2009 7:39 pm

dude-- that thing is rockin! rhino line the bed, get rid of that crappy sunroof and put in a little rag top, and get some bigger diameter street truck wheels on it and it'd be badassssss

dc Wed May 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Here's some rear views - tomorrow I'll show you all the nasty rust. I'm building my need list .... pan, cowl-fresh-air vent area, etc. :?

Love that tailgate! :)

harlannj Wed May 13, 2009 8:41 pm

haha vw ranchero?

atrujillo1991 Wed May 13, 2009 8:45 pm

Dude the tail gate is sweet. That rear window is HUGEEEEEEE! :lol:

Adriel Rowley Wed May 13, 2009 8:55 pm

Nice score, not my cup of meat, but got to start somewhere! <tease> :lol:

Coming down to the Classic?

F.Y.I. I am cutting up a '68 Squareback. Cutting it up soon, making a few patches, but most is going.

Why would anyone do this to a Squareback is beyond me, but what is done is done.

Russ Wolfe Wed May 13, 2009 8:56 pm

Maybe a bus rear glass.

notchback Wed May 13, 2009 9:29 pm

I'll have a nearly perfect (no rust), titled '69 pan next month when I part out a fasty I've got sitting here in Idaho.

FASTBACKDON Wed May 13, 2009 9:43 pm

notchback wrote: I'll have a nearly perfect (no rust), titled '69 pan next month when I part out a fasty I've got sitting here in Idaho.
BITE YOUR TOUNGE no Fastbacks should die to save that that that thing.
Neil your wrong if you sacrafice a Fastback to do so.

Tram Wed May 13, 2009 9:46 pm

FASTBACKDON wrote: notchback wrote: I'll have a nearly perfect (no rust), titled '69 pan next month when I part out a fasty I've got sitting here in Idaho.

Well, Mr. Whiny Pants... I happen to think that a Type 3 Truck is the perfect upgrade for a Fastback! :D

fitzya Wed May 13, 2009 9:49 pm

Sweet. I grew up in Kitsap County, in the '70's these conversions were all over the area. Knew a kid in high-school that made at least three of them. Good luck bringing this one back to life.

FASTBACKDON Wed May 13, 2009 9:51 pm

Tram wrote: FASTBACKDON wrote: notchback wrote: I'll have a nearly perfect (no rust), titled '69 pan next month when I part out a fasty I've got sitting here in Idaho.

Well, Mr. Whiny Pants... I happen to think that a Type 3 Truck is the perfect upgrade for a Fastback! :D
Yea you would
Hey atleast you actualy got the Mr. part right only took you 4 years.

EverettB Wed May 13, 2009 10:23 pm

The rear window looks too tall to be Bus. Is it Sigla logo'd?

The sheet metal looks Bus though...

dc Thu May 14, 2009 6:25 am

Upon closer inspection - it does not look like it is VW glass - can't see any of the usual logos - there is some sort of maker's mark on the glass, but it's covered by the edge of the gasket and hard to make out. The metal looks to be definitely bus - I'll post pictures later - it still has the mounting area/screw holes for the hatch latch inside.

For what it's worth- I'll choose donor metal carefully and make sure a decent t-3 is not "sacrificed" for this project :roll:

DHPfirefighter Thu May 14, 2009 6:41 am

I dig it and would totally roll in that!

66311 Thu May 14, 2009 6:54 am

FASTBACKDON wrote: Tram wrote: FASTBACKDON wrote: notchback wrote: I'll have a nearly perfect (no rust), titled '69 pan next month when I part out a fasty I've got sitting here in Idaho.

Yea you would
Hey atleast you actualy got the Mr. part right only took you 4 years.
At least it was a cut-up Notch/Square that it came from. Upgrade for either one. Make sure and use ether to get it running.

notchback Thu May 14, 2009 7:16 am

FASTBACKDON wrote: notchback wrote: I'll have a nearly perfect (no rust), titled '69 pan next month when I part out a fasty I've got sitting here in Idaho.
Neil your wrong if you sacrafice a Fastback to do so. The fastback is being sacrificed for nothing but money. There's at least $2.26 worth of usable parts on a fasty.

notchboy Thu May 14, 2009 7:25 am

notchback wrote: FASTBACKDON wrote: notchback wrote: I'll have a nearly perfect (no rust), titled '69 pan next month when I part out a fasty I've got sitting here in Idaho.
Neil your wrong if you sacrafice a Fastback to do so. The fastback is being sacrificed for nothing but money. There's at least $2.26 worth of usable parts on a fasty.

$2.26 in parts? Arnt you going a bit high? Consider todays economic crisis. :wink: