TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: F4u5T Roadster *Build Thread* Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
gregmporter Fri May 29, 2009 7:23 pm

quick welding tip for new mig welders... You should never run a continuous bead. Weld the sheet metal in short (2-3 second) bursts. Make a puddle about the size of a pencil eraser. Then move to a spot away from that weld and hit it there, move away to another spot and hit that. Basically you divide the panel up so the heat stays down and the metal doesn't warp. You can also hit the fresh welds with a wet rag to cool them off.

I've been welding for a long time, but I still rush and make mistakes. Take your time and it will pay dividends when it comes time to grind.

connella08 Fri May 29, 2009 7:30 pm

gregmporter wrote: quick welding tip for new mig welders... You should never run a continuous bead. Weld the sheet metal in short (2-3 second) bursts. Make a puddle about the size of a pencil eraser. Then move to a spot away from that weld and hit it there, move away to another spot and hit that. Basically you divide the panel up so the heat stays down and the metal doesn't warp. You can also hit the fresh welds with a wet rag to cool them off.

I've been welding for a long time, but I still rush and make mistakes. Take your time and it will pay dividends when it comes time to grind.

i saw that in my welding guide as well. it says to make tack welds about 1.5 inches apart until you have everything tack welded into place. then complete every other weld, alternating, until the area is finished.

F4u5T Sun May 31, 2009 7:26 pm

Here is what I got done through the weekend, both sides neither is pretty - but when I got the car the gaps were filled with paper towels and about 3 inches of bondo so im gonna say its an improvement
body should be blasted this week if I can find a day that doesnt rain

slafa Sun May 31, 2009 7:59 pm

Lookin' good :D that is some tough sledding with those tin snips eh? :wink:

F4u5T Sun May 31, 2009 8:02 pm

nah, I used to be a hvac tech.
I know it doesnt show in my thread, but Ive worked sheetmetal quite a while :lol:

connella08 Sun May 31, 2009 8:05 pm

better, but it looks like your not getting enough gas to the area of weld. i can see that oxygen is still forming pockets in the weld which creates all those small dimples. turning up the gas output will take place of the oxygen and give you a nice smooth bead.

F4u5T Sun May 31, 2009 8:10 pm

Sweet, I noticed those dimples - but It seems to get good penetration
didnt think about the gas though

Thanks Connella

connella08 Sun May 31, 2009 8:27 pm

no problem. on your spare time, check out this website on mig welding. it has all kinds of tips and tutorials on how to weld. under tutorials, look at the pictures on the right and you will see the bubbly-rough weld that kinda looks like yours, and you will see others that are real smooth.

slafa Sun May 31, 2009 9:00 pm

always important to get good penetration 8)

gregmporter Sun May 31, 2009 9:06 pm

Something to be very aware of is the distance of the MIG torch tip to the work piece. The longer the stick out of the wire, the more gas you'll need. You control the heat this way too. Closer (shorter stick out) is hotter, further away is cooler. If you are welding the edge of a piece of steet metal sometimes you have to back way off to keep it from burning through.

F4u5T Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:03 pm

Well boys, there she goes...........

Should be back in a few days, bare metal

wish me luck 8-[

connella08 Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:29 pm

connella08 wrote: no problem. on your spare time, check out this website on mig welding. it has all kinds of tips and tutorials on how to weld. under tutorials, look at the pictures on the right and you will see the bubbly-rough weld that kinda looks like yours, and you will see others that are real smooth.

forgot the link...
http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/

lookin nice so far.

slafa Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:05 pm

Sweet!! Off come the pajamas and we get to see her in the buff! Stoked for you, gonna be great having that done. 8)

F4u5T Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:24 pm

Off with the jama's - she'll be naked come hell or high water
Though Ive had that thought several times before with less than desirable results :lol:
I just hope she dont come home wrinkled and ashamed

[email protected] Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:53 pm

You're just being modest. 8)
If you wanted something easy you certainly wouldn't have picked a Ghia in the first place! Guess that's why we're all here... misery loves company :lol:

I always dislike this very stage because it's just now at it's furthest point from being the beautiful Ghia you picked it for. At least from this point forward everything you do is putting her back together and that much closer to finished :D

F4u5T Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:18 pm

:D :D :D :D
WOW, Faster turn around than I thought - I started ripping apart my streetbike ( long over due ) but the guy did it today!

I was worried Fo Sho, but....... IT TURNED OUT GREAT!
HA! I Love it - It did show some bondo I didnt know about, but no damage really!

HA HA Slafa, here she is Naked as a jaybird!

Im gonna hit her with some 220 paper just to smooth it over - more pics later!

slafa Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:13 pm

That was better than the last time I was on Bourbon Street! :lol: that turned out AWESOME wow I am really stoked for you and wow how fast! do you mind me asking the final tally? I know you were hooked up so I wouldn't expect that price but cool to know.... :D

F4u5T Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:25 pm

under $100 :lol:
sorry guys no more pics tonight
I apparently got motor oil in my eye while I was working on my bike
and Im crippled for the night :lol:

it is normal for your eye to bleed hahaha
not fo real, just feels that bad

slafa Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:12 pm

one Benjamin? that is sick. as my Australian friend would say...good on ya mate!

72Ghia Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:43 pm

Was this a hardtop at one time? It doesnt have much rust at all !