TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: F4u5T Roadster *Build Thread* Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
gregmporter Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:19 pm

When he gets a little older, you'll have to break the news to him that he'll never get to drive it!!! :D :D :D

Good to see the passion runs in the bloodline.

F4u5T Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:15 pm

gregmporter wrote: When he gets a little older, you'll have to break the news to him that he'll never get to drive it!!! :D :D :D

Good to see the passion runs in the bloodline.

:lol: :lol: yeah, that day is coming...
Whats funny about that is my dad and I fixed up a 71 super for my 1st car , that in his eyes was a cheap car that I could destroy and it wouldn't be huge deal.
Now Im fixing one that I'd rather him start driving a ford or chevy, not a old vw :lol:

Foss, you speak the truth - plenty of time for the car, one big reason why its taking me so long to get stuff done. I figure It'll be finished when I can, Im not rushing it, as old as it gets at some point if you dont enjoy the building process, why do it.
Id rather be working on it than it just sitting finished in the garage

Foss Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:16 pm

When it's done, won't you need to find another project? Part of the beauty of a custom project is it's design as you build aspect. More steps give you more ideas. Kudos to those that can visualize the finished product and get there from the raw beginnings. We are not those type of people! Keep up the good work! It's a passion not a job! Keep the Ghia passion alive!

slafa Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:20 am

Ha! Love your boys picture, he has an artistic temperment! Try to steer him away from artists, they are nothing but trouble! :lol: Glad I am not alone in the "i didn't do shit on my Ghia today" sticky.... :roll:

F4u5T Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:38 pm

Ok, so I took a hiatus for a few months...

Now that the holidays are over Im ready to get back on the old girl.

started back on the engine last night and should have the bottom end together shortly, Still have to get a new oil pump and a carb, all the tin...
I started finishing the rear piece that I added to fill the gap, when it ready for pictures ill throw some up of it

slafa Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:45 pm

F4u5T wrote:

Ok, so I took a hiatus for a few months...

Now that the holidays are over Im ready to get back on the old girl.

started back on the engine last night and should have the bottom end together shortly, Still have to get a new oil pump and a carb, all the tin...
I started finishing the rear piece that I added to fill the gap, when it ready for pictures ill throw some up of it

Yay! I was thinking the same damn thing, funny how a new year brightens your outlook on never-ending projects :D

Go get 'em F4u5TY :lol:

F4u5T Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Slafa! :twisted: Hey Buddy, I figured you had already finshed yours and moved on to the lowlight :lol:
I just finished sanding on the rear a bit and thought I may as well let the world see.
It's still pretty rough, but its close enough to estimate the end result. Im waiting on parts for the engine, again.. so It'll be a bit longer before I have it together.
Im gonna try to get on it and get something done this time, I'd love to have it back together for the May Circle Yer Wagens - considering how long its took to get this far I dont know if its possible but Im gonna stay on it and see what we can do...

dells68 Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Keep on it Matt! Looking good. I'm hoping to at least have my thing ready to haul down to CYW in May, even if it's not completely finished. Funny though how things always take longer than I think :lol:

slafa Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:51 am

dells68 wrote: Keep on it Matt! Looking good. I'm hoping to at least have my thing ready to haul down to CYW in May, even if it's not completely finished. Funny though how things always take longer than I think :lol:

That's an understatement! :lol:

turtleturtle Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:13 am

Wow finally someone else doing what has been done to my Ghia.

F4u5T Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:28 am

Dude, I tried to PM you like a year ago about your car, wasnt it green?
I love it, seem to have very similar ideas.
I would like to see some better pictures of the rear end, just to envision what mine will look like finished.
Looks like you did a great job on her, she looks slick.

Also interested in you windshield chop, as I have also done that.
I took about 4.5 inches out - your looks to be very close to mine.
How did you cut the glass, Ive found someone in Knoxville ( 2hr drive)
that has done it and is will to do mine, but Im wondering if I should give it a go myself.
Do you mind posting some more pics, I could use it to help me see what ill have. :twisted: assuming I get my arse in gear and start getting something done again.... :roll:

turtleturtle Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:45 am

It was chameleon and the body was cracking which you might have the same problem. Look I know some other people that cut off the roof and trust me it was not a good idea. But since you did you might want to weld the doors shut if you have not done so. This will prevent the body from flexing.

I put a very heavy duty steel beam from one door to the other and welded it in place to more prevent the flexing insue.

As for the window, I cheated lol. For years I got away with plexiglas and it passed inspection. I only took 3 inches off mine. I also do not have side windows all.

I will post pics in a minute.

turtleturtle Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:31 pm

F4u5T Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:06 pm

I know these are not the best pictures, but the rear end is pretty much done. Took much longer to finish than I thought - pretty much like everything else :lol:
The windshield frame, dash and a few other areas are done now. Hopefully things will start coming back together soon

Foss Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:52 pm

Glad to see you're back at it!

F4u5T Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Got a coat of primer on this weekend, it revealed a few more places that need work.
Not ready for paint just yet, but moving forward...

gregmporter Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Details on the primer?

F4u5T Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:47 pm

Nothing special, Rustoleum bare-metal primer I had. There is still body work to do, I just needed something to give me an idea of what still needs attention.
Most of the stuff Ive done looks ok, but this revealed a few area's I couldn't see on bare metal.
The nose needs some straightening, which looked great before. Looks like I need to work on the doors some also

DrakeB Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:38 pm

Any updates?

Also, is This your ad on Craigslist?

F4u5T Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Updates, well I have been busy, though not on the Ghia directly.
I came to the realization that my garage was not the ideal place to do all this body work, I was covering all my other projects with dust and my kids were learning new words :lol: . So I built a workshop beside the house to keep the Ghia. It has kept me pretty busy and I haven't gotten much done one the car itself, but it will be nice - now I got 32' x 24' of space that is devoted to the project, and its far enough away from the house that the kids wont repeat my fluent obscenities and my airbrushing stuff isn't covered with bondo dust.
And yeah, that's my craigslist ad - I'm surprised you connected the dots but I guess there probably isn't too many ghia project going on in Bristol.
I decided it's probably time to call in help on the body, Ive gotten it fairly good but every time I think Im about done I see more rough spots.
Im sure in the time I've spent smoothing - someone with experience could have done 100 time over, but the reason I wanted to do this was to learn.
That I have, I learned the mechanics, welding sheet metal, and that Im not great at body work! :lol: