TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: F4u5T Roadster *Build Thread* Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
F4u5T Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:51 am

Mark33563 wrote: You did all that work with no title for the car?

Hunt the internet, I am sure you can find one....

Short answer is yes, though of coarse it was never the gameplan...
I researched it a bit before I got the car and it appeared as long as the vin is clean, there were was to get a title reestablished. I found the difficultly of doing this varies greatly from state to state.

In my particular situation, I can only post the VIN as an abandoned vehicle on my property, if the state can find the last registered owner, they will notify them to reclaim the vehicle within 30 days or relinquish ownership.
I actually did this with a Jeep CJ-7 I had traded for and one the last day, some guy showed up with a trailer and the og title. The guy would not elaborate on why the title was not transferred with the vehicle, he said it was a bad trade.

He didn't really want the Jeep, but he had me by the kahoney's and he knew it. I ended up paying $500 for the title and all was good.
It worked out in the end as the jeep was still worth more than I had in it.

After going through this experience, you see my reluctance in moving forward with the Ghia.
worst case - I have another pan that is titled but it is very rough.

Mark33563 Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:36 am

I would be happy to pay a few hundred bucks for the title. However, if they were to show up to a stripped pan, well, they might be willing to lower their price.....if you follow me, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

I am going to have a wrecking yard impound my stripped pan for thirty days and get a mechanic's lean on it. I run the risk as we'll. they can go claim the stripped pan if they like. That is the fastest and easiest way to "recover" a title in Floriduh (land of the hanging chad).

Back before "road rage" was the "in thing" all I would of had to do was take the license plate or VIN to the DMV and get a name and address because it was public record. After a few of those a**clowns beat up and killed a couple of people, well, the States removed that bit of information from public access. The stalker crowd is also to blame....

Now it takes a judge to release the information or a mechanic lean auction which is public. So,, all that needs to happen is someone else to show up, pay the exorbitant storage fees and buy the stripped pan. In other words, if someone was hungry enough they could still snatch the pan out from under me.

If that happens, the I will be hunting the classifieds looking for a pan with a title alongside of you....

As for working on a title less car, we'll, been there and done that as well. :). I did not invest the time and effort you did, but I did have time and money in it.

F4u5T Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:10 pm

Mark33563 wrote: I would be happy to pay a few hundred bucks for the title. However, if they were to show up to a stripped pan, well, they might be willing to lower their price.....if you follow me, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

I am going to have a wrecking yard impound my stripped pan for thirty days and get a mechanic's lean on it. I run the risk as we'll. they can go claim the stripped pan if they like. That is the fastest and easiest way to "recover" a title in Floriduh (land of the hanging chad).

Back before "road rage" was the "in thing" all I would of had to do was take the license plate or VIN to the DMV and get a name and address because it was public record. After a few of those a**clowns beat up and killed a couple of people, well, the States removed that bit of information from public access. The stalker crowd is also to blame....

Now it takes a judge to release the information or a mechanic lean auction which is public. So,, all that needs to happen is someone else to show up, pay the exorbitant storage fees and buy the stripped pan. In other words, if someone was hungry enough they could still snatch the pan out from under me.

If that happens, the I will be hunting the classifieds looking for a pan with a title alongside of you....

As for working on a title less car, we'll, been there and done that as well. :). I did not invest the time and effort you did, but I did have time and money in it.

Initially I was going to use Broadway title, for ( at that time $175) now its $900.
the way I looked at it initially was - this is a learning experience. I wanted to get something low cost to learn on. I just happened on the Ghia, and the body was really very good.
I poured over this forum, and had a great time doing, made alot of great friends. Im at the point now where I need to tackle this issue before I go much further. and yes, I was thinking the same as you, wink wink nudge nudge.
Good Luck brother!

dualport Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:08 pm

I bought a Mustang from a farmer when I was 16, he sold it to me for parts because he did not have the title. I got around to filing for the lost title nearly 25 years later. By that point, the original owner and his location were not known and getting the replacement was not a problem.

My guess is that if you were to do a vin search and attempt to locate the owner you'd know whether or not getting ownership of the title was realistic or not.

F4u5T Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:18 pm

I tried that early on and it never found a owner, I figured it was just out of the system. Maybe I should try a different site

F4u5T Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:41 pm

just in case you didnt know....TC/TeamEvil is the man!

Go Hokies! and Happy New Year!

F4u5T Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:20 am

Well its been a while, the Title issue looks to be resolved and I have joined forces with my Dad to help get this old project completed. I needed help staying focused, also working on a Westy last few years...We build a new stock 1600 dp originally for the Roadster but looks like im gonna use that in the Westy and the Roadster is gonna go full bastard mode :twisted: It will never be loved by the purist so why not...
Here is the Chevy 4.3 and 6-rib trans being fitted to my pan

sputnick60 Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:15 am

I shudder 8)

The prodigal has returned and is back to his evil ways... this'll be fun. :lol:

Nicholas

John Moxon Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:23 am

sputnick60 wrote: I shudder 8)

The prodigal has returned and is back to his evil ways... this'll be fun. :lol:

Nicholas

I'm pleased one of our Moderators has broken ground with this outspoken "evil ways" comment.

It now allows me to add my "good cop" view on Matt's project...he not as bad as "Slafa" :D

F4u5T Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:35 am

Wow, 2 of 3 mods commenting, i better watch out huh :o
Feels good to be back , hoping i can pull it together soon.

Been gone so long, i took a promotion at work which was good but it required 75% travel, I was only really home during the weekends and couldnt find much garage time. That was the last 3 years...now I have took another promotion, much less travel ( funny that I am writing this on a plane to Phoenix :lol: )
But I plan to rededicate myself to my project, ghia and bus.

Now who knows anything about cutting a windshield?

SoCalJes Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:56 am

:popcorn:

sputnick60 Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:41 pm

F4u5T wrote: i took a promotion at work which was good but it required 75% travel, I was only really home during the weekends and couldnt find much garage time.

Funny you mentioning that. The same thing happened to me with the net impact of adding 5 years to the time-to-completion for my project. Every stage has taken five times longer to get done. Or, if I want faster progress I would have to pay someone else to do it but miss out on the fun of doing it myself. I opted for the slow and steady route and I'm almost there.

I hope you can keep to your aspiration of getting things done but I know it is tough to achieve especially if so much of your available time gets burned up in jet fuel and hotel rooms.

Bon chance!

Nicholas

F4u5T Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:52 am

Hello, hope everyone is well! wanted to update my thread here to show the current status. Like I mentioned before, I finally have the Title resolved, and with it trying to get some progress done. I basically let it sit, completely discouraged that what I believed to be a easy process of getting a Title in Va turned out to be a much bigger challenge - but in actuality, that's been the story of this build. Sort of jumped in blind, just wanting to learn - that has happened for sure
Yesterday, we married the pan back to the body, bittersweet too I might add.
At one point we didn't have things as secure as I thought and the body fell! :oops: minimal damage but it did crack some repair work I did on both rear fenders...Guess Ill be reworking some of that , really wish I had a line of those Kelly Flares that were going around a while back!

So what you see here is the Chevy V6 that we went with, and how it fits to the body, The carburetor will be extending up past the deck lid and also the water pumps and pulleys on the rear will need some more room. no quite sure what I'm gonna do with that just yet, I think we can slim it down some with aftermarket accessories but thinking a scoop will be necessary at least. Might try to find me a junker rusted out deck lid to play with, mine is actually pretty decent - don't think I'll mess that one up. See! us Roadster guys aren't all that deranged :twisted:
But anyway here is the further bastardization of the F4u5T Roadster.

70 140 Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Pull the studs out of the headers and call the exhaust done.

If you ran an electric water pump and hung the alternator off to one side, you might get most of a decklid on that car.