TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Propane tank problem?
Hallvalla Sun May 31, 2009 2:44 pm

Went to fill up my propane tank and the attendant said my tank was full, highly doubtful since I've used the stove a few times after I bought it last week. btw, he was basing this off the fact that the stations propane tank wasn't kicking on, and I did watch him fill somebody's 5 gallon tank right after me. He "seemed' to know what he was doing...

The stove propane kicks on for a minute or so and then slowly dies.

Could it just be the attendant was wrong? Any other possible probs?

hiram6 Sun May 31, 2009 4:48 pm

He did open the vent, right?

I went to a propane filling station about a month ago, and the 18 year old attendant couldn't get any to flow in. An old crusty guy who looked like he had worked there for a hundred years walked over, reached under without even having to look for the vent, twisted it, and lo and behold, three gallons flowed right in. Shot the kid a "will you never learn" look, and walked back to what he was doing. Even the kid had to laugh.

Hallvalla Sun May 31, 2009 5:23 pm

I think so. He at least did something that shot propane out. Forgive my ignorance, I have little experience with propane filling stations. I will try another location.

Terry Kay Sun May 31, 2009 5:35 pm

Could be a couple of things going on here.

(1) the guy didn't open up the bleeder valve--but you mentioned you heard / saw gas coming out of something--somewhere.

(2) The Autostop fill valve is stuck shut.
Pretty common thing to happen to a Westfalia fill valve.

(3) The last possible thing I can think of is that the on/off valve isn't openng up all the way on the tank.

You have it cranked all the way open--to the max?

Hallvalla Sun May 31, 2009 9:52 pm

Terry Kay wrote: Could be a couple of things going on here.

(1) the guy didn't open up the bleeder valve--but you mentioned you heard / saw gas coming out of something--somewhere.

(2) The Autostop fill valve is stuck shut.
Pretty common thing to happen to a Westfalia fill valve.

(3) The last possible thing I can think of is that the on/off valve isn't openng up all the way on the tank.

You have it cranked all the way open--to the max?

What's the best way to test some of those theories on my propane problem?

Dogpilot Sun May 31, 2009 10:11 pm

Wasps like to fill in the bleeder hole, so nothing goes in. Stick the end of a paper clip in the hole and see if its plugged. For how the autostop works download this from my public folder:
Fill Valve.JPG
http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa...mp;lang=en

Terry Kay Sun May 31, 2009 10:11 pm

The fastest way to see if your getting gas outa the tank--or better yet to be positive if you have any gas in the tank would be to crack the flare fitting at the on/off valve & open it up a hair.

If you have propane in the tank you'll know it right away--it'll be blowing outa the fitting as soon as you open the valve.

If you have zero propane, and the fill hose at the propane station has been hooked up to the Autostop valve, your sure the bleeder was opened up to take the gas--and you saw or heard the bleeder blow off at 80%,
Your Autostop valve is no good--it won't allow any gas into the tank.

If you know you have gas, and when you open the valve all the way, and no gas comes outa the flare fitting, the on/off valve might be no good

Disconnect the 3/8's copper line at the flare, and slowly unscrew the valve.
If it starts to leak propane as you unscrew it--the shut off valve is bad.

Not too much theory here--test each item you should have some sort of reaction if you have gas & good components on the tank.

I'd suspect the known problimatic Autostop fill valve first.

You didn't answer my last question in my prior message.
Do you have the on / off valve turned all the way open??

Righty--Tighty--off--closed.
Lefty--Loosey--on--open.

Hallvalla Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:57 am

Terry Kay wrote:
You didn't answer my last question in my prior message.
Do you have the on / off valve turned all the way open??

So, to close this thread out I'm slightly embarrassed to admit the valve was just barely turned 'on'. :oops: The reason I thought it was on is that there must've been enough gas in the system to run hot for a while, and then die down. The PO told me at the time of purchased that she always left it all the way 'on', so I didn't even bother to check. Silly me.