TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The 1966 Geländewagen type-51 Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Hebster52 Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:45 pm

The wife bought this the past weekend. Maybe she got tired over my never ending projects... :lol:

The car is kind of a "barnfind" as it have been sitting the past 27 years unregistered in a heated garage. The seller decided to register it this spring without any problem. All he did was replace the front brakehoses, buy new 6V battery and new tires.

Derek Cobb Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:19 pm

Beautiful!

Glenn Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Very clean.

Will you marry me? (only if you buy me a nice car like that ;) ).

54ovsemi Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:24 pm

I Likes it... :D And your Avatar too.. :lol:

FRK Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Very nice!

Island_Girl Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:53 pm

She's a beaut! Where can I find a heated barn? :wink:

iaccy Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:41 pm

Island_Girl wrote: She's a beaut! Where can I find a heated barn? :wink:

haha I know right...nice find, I'm sure she's gonna love it, if she doesn't send it my way :wink:

Hebster52 Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:20 pm

This winter I will have to pull the engine and do an overhaul as it started to smoke blue smoke. I hope it is just the sealrings on the pistons as the engine had been sitting in the warm garage for so long.. Also the heads will be redone at the same time.

I will also replace the rest of the brakelines that the previous owner didn't replace.

And the body will most likely be repainted in Seesand L568... ;)

Hebster52 Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:51 pm

Oops!

Hebster52 Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:51 pm

Pulled the engine in January as it needed an overhaul. Turned out to need a major one... Pulled the pulley and it had 1,6mm of endplay... :(

Decided to use my spare 1680cc type-3 engine for it instead.

Here all finished and waiting for some kind of carburation, yet not decided...

The leftside frontfender had bumped into something during the cars life and had a major bend on the top from the turnsignal and down to the wheel arch. Needed to be hammered out.

This weekend I decided to test out the new colour. Seesand on the front fender.

The brakehoses did fail (42 years old hoses...) last summer I had to crawl under this car for the first time and was able to check the pan closer the past weekend..

Not much done here and even less do do there...

Just replaced the brakehoses and pipes. Still need to replace the fuel hoses too.

Hebster52 Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:45 pm

The carburation decided. I will be using a pair of PDSIT 32-34's on type-3 dualport manifolds.

AJ Quick Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:00 pm

Awesome car! One of the nicest condition cars I have seen... not bad for sitting around for 27 years.

I would have kept it all original paint, but its your car.. so go nuts!

Hebster52 Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:06 pm

AJ Quick wrote: Awesome car! One of the nicest condition cars I have seen... not bad for sitting around for 27 years.

I would have kept it all original paint, but its your car.. so go nuts!

Thanks! So would I but the PO had repainted it because "the paint looked so scratched..." :cry:

He did re repaint himself and didn't spray enough on it so when we bought it last year I spent 3 days on sanding the paint and rubbing it up to some kind of gloss... :oops:

AJ Quick Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:35 pm

Haha! Well that makes all the difference! I like the new color compared with the old BTW.

LosCreepers Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:27 pm

Nice car!
I always wonder where you guys find cars like these, sitting in barns/garages for most of their lifes. :lol:

Did you pull out those hideous seatcovers (post #1, last pic) or what? :wink:

Hebster52 Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:00 am

This one happened to pop up in the for sale ads in the local newpaper. I just was fast enough to react on it this time.. :D

Yes, those seatcovers were the first thing to come out. Unfortunately the passangerside seat had a minor blemish in the cloth..

Also had to replace one hingepin on the driverside. Just needed to make a tool for that. Thanks to photos found here in the gallery it was easy to make. :wink:

Here's an other photo of the engine with the aircleaners mocked up on the carbs.

66busman Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:17 am

I'm curious to see what type of linkage setup you use with those carbs. I have a nearly identical setup to put in my bus (sp rather than dp), so I'm watching. Hurray for 1966's! :wink:

^RAGE^ Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:32 pm

very nice :) very nice indeed . good work :)

RAGE

estofer Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:06 pm

Nice bug!!

Hebster52 Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Added a 20mm spacer under both carbs and now also welded the necks for the aircleaners so they clear from the fanshroud and still fit inside the enginebay.

Just have to make the linkage now and then testrun it.