TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: My '72 Super... ongoing project Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
TheRustySuper Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:23 pm

I'm new here, but have been a part of the VW hobby for a while now. I got my 1972 Super Beetle when I was 11 years old at a silent auction for $825. I'm paying my parents back for it now, and I'm finally able to drive it now that I'm 16! I'm starting to do some work on it now, currently the heater boxes are off and being replaced. Though the car is kinda rusty it won't see a restoration for a while, because I don't have the money, being 16, and my parents aren't into restoring cars. They like new, shiney ones, hence the 2009 GTI I got on my 16th birthday. So the car will get restored when I can afford to with my own money. But it runs and drives great, and I love working on it!

Some rust, the passenger side bumper mount:

Heater boxes are out, good view of under the car: (Anyone know what that wire hanging down is???)

The daily driver:

jmsmilin Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:48 pm

Looks clean actually, I wouldnt call it rusty at all, of course Im from the NE. Truthfully though, I wouldnt waste my time with it, sell it, get your $825 back and go take your girlfreind out. Dont waste your time on a flat window super, enjoy that GTI and use your time to do your homework so you can go to school and buy your kid a GTI someday.

Does the license plate light on it work? If not that wire may go to it.

maximan1 Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:11 pm

jmsmilin wrote: Looks clean actually, I wouldnt call it rusty at all, of course Im from the NE. Truthfully though, I wouldnt waste my time with it, sell it, get your $825 back and go take your girlfreind out. Dont waste your time on a flat window super, enjoy that GTI and use your time to do your homework so you can go to school and buy your kid a GTI someday.

Why do you say that? Is it because he is 16?

I'm 16 restoring my bus, what's the big deal?

TheRustySuper Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:09 pm

jmsmilin wrote: Looks clean actually, I wouldnt call it rusty at all, of course Im from the NE. Truthfully though, I wouldnt waste my time with it, sell it, get your $825 back and go take your girlfreind out. Dont waste your time on a flat window super, enjoy that GTI and use your time to do your homework so you can go to school and buy your kid a GTI someday.

I would NEVER sell that car, I have wanted a Bug for as long as I can remember...and that is the best $825 I've ever spent. That's the car I learned to drive a stick on, and is the car I'm learning mechanics on. So what if it's a Super...they will be rare too someday.
And the license plate light works just fine.

LeviMan2001 Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:31 pm

Ahmen! I'm 16 and restoring a super too. :lol: I bought mine for $800 (too much) and it doesn't even have an interior or windows! you have a PERFECT interior! :shock: lucky!

Beetlebaum Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Whoa! Is this the, "Hi I'm 16 with a Super thread"??? :shock: :lol:
I'm sixteen with a 1973 Super! 8)
Mine was $700 but I gotta replace the floorpans. Don't sell your Super!!
I'd wanted a Beetle for a long time, so I'm super (pun intended) excited about owning a Super Beetle.
Keep us updated!!!!!
Here's my Super thread:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=351385

PS: I love your username!
It should be mine... :P

shano63 Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:35 pm

Keep the super and sell the GTI to fund the resto on the super! :D Bug looks great, just do a little at a time when you have some spare cash. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Emeritusx Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:40 pm

Hard to say what that wire is, maybe they had a temp gauge drain plug or something. Nice ride dude.... Both of 'em... :)

olde skool Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:29 pm

Quote: sell it, get your $825 back and go take your girlfreind out.

or maybe just get another girlfriend, my girl has just as much fun helping me with my bug than going to movies/dates...

Although, if it were me i would look for a non super, that being said a flat super is better than a rounded super :lol:

TheRustySuper Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:30 pm

It finally sounds nice, got the "J" pipes in and on it today...finally got rid of the rusty exhaust system! I love the way the car sounds now...like an old VW...not a broken lawnmower XD

Kirk Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:23 pm

Keep it. Ignore the super haters. Ive had mine since I was 18. I am 34 now. Who care what idiots say about supers. :roll:

jacobjordan24 Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:01 am

keep it for sure
i bet 1302s (flat window supers) will be worth good money someday
get a good job and youll have the money for that thing in no time
shoot you already have a sweet ride to get to work in :wink:

btw that engine and the interior look amazing. dont mess with either of those too much

jacobjordan24 Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:03 am

oh and i bet if you buffed that paint out it would look as good as new

TheRustySuper Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:42 am

That's not the original paint :( Story is that the car was being moved a long distance and was SUPPOSED to be on a car carrier. Got stuck in a moving van with boxes on top of it, which rubbed off the paint. So a cruddy repaint results. I did try and buff it though, it didn't do any good. It's too faded and cracked...

jmsmilin Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:11 pm

TheRustySuper wrote: That's not the original paint :( Story is that the car was being moved a long distance and was SUPPOSED to be on a car carrier. Got stuck in a moving van with boxes on top of it, which rubbed off the paint. So a cruddy repaint results. I did try and buff it though, it didn't do any good. It's too faded and cracked...
what did you buff it with? that paint WILL shine with the right things done to it, the decklid looks shiney

TheRustySuper Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:29 pm

jmsmilin wrote: TheRustySuper wrote: That's not the original paint :( Story is that the car was being moved a long distance and was SUPPOSED to be on a car carrier. Got stuck in a moving van with boxes on top of it, which rubbed off the paint. So a cruddy repaint results. I did try and buff it though, it didn't do any good. It's too faded and cracked...
what did you buff it with? that paint WILL shine with the right things done to it, the decklid looks shiney

The decklid isn't original to the car...it is orange, and the rest of the car is a faded reddish shade. The car was rear-ended at some point and the trunk was replaced. So it's shiney, but nothing else is. I don't remember what wax I used, but I know a power buffer was involved. What would you suggest using? I wouldn't mind making it a bit nicer looking...

iVolkswagen Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:23 pm

Awesome score. And yeah man, I'm all for keeping sentimental cars (like you said, you learned stick in yours). Like my 61, for instance. My first car. It will most likely never be finished within the next 5 years, and has been sitting in the garage. Has new, high $$$ paint, and people have offered, but i just wont sell it. The same for my 63.

Anyway, keep us updated! wont take too much for that baby to be rollin solid!

Joel Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:45 am

the wire wrapped around the heater cable is probably for a drain plug temp sender or soemthing, or butchered reverse lights

might wanna do something ASAP bout the fuel line
hanging off the coil with a cheap plastic filter that has no barbs and no hose clamps on the pressure side of the fuel pump is a fire looking for a place to happen

be a shame for such a straight bug to go up in flames

TheRustySuper Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:07 pm

Buggin_74 wrote: the wire wrapped around the heater cable is probably for a drain plug temp sender or soemthing, or butchered reverse lights

might wanna do something ASAP bout the fuel line
hanging off the coil with a cheap plastic filter that has no barbs and no hose clamps on the pressure side of the fuel pump is a fire looking for a place to happen

be a shame for such a straight bug to go up in flames

Yup, I'm getting some hose clamps for it before I drive it next...and hopefully a new fuel filter as well. Thanks for the advice!

And I have a question. This car had the trim package on it, so it had some chrome trim covering the door sills. I pulled this off today, and found...more rust! YAY! ](*,) Anyways, I'd like to know what to do about the rust on this car. I have some pics below of some of the spots where the car is rusting. I am thinking about trying to stop the rust, but don't know if it will be worth the time. This car will only be sitting outside for 2 more years; when I go to college it will be stored indoors. Hopefully after college the car will see a full body-off restoration, when I get the money. I was thinking about either grinding away the rust with a dremel tool and primering the spots, or just hitting it with POR-15 and then primer. But then my car will have primer spots everywhere. I will stop this rust on the door sills though, since it's covered. The thing is, I cannot do ANY bodywork till I"m out of the house. I'm not allowed to have a welder, because it's not "normal" for me to have one :evil: Suggestions?

TheRustySuper Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:07 am

Anyone got suggestions?