TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did you do to your Oval today? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 54, 55, 56  Next
VW_Jimbo Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:46 pm

SurfsUP wrote: Mahalo!
Here's a recent one where I finally installed the period correct bumpers that I've been saving in storage for 10 yrs.

Very nice! Your garage looks like mine. Extra transmissions, extra engines, extra everything!

SurfsUP Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:46 pm

Test fitting my new steering wheel that i had sitting around for like 10 yrs.

finster Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:58 am

we had some mega thunder storms over edinburgh last night and 3 plus hours of torrential rain. had to spend the day baling 'brown' water out of my oval and sweeping out the garage! luckily the door seals are still good and kept the water out but some got in through the heater pipes (have had to remove the silencer wadding to dry it out)- plus I was able to leave the car in the hot sun all day to dry out

donny273 Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:35 am

trying to figure out battery strap mounting. Anyone have a photo of a stock 56 battery strap setup. Many thanks

finster Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:03 am

strap on my 56 looks like this

bolt fixing to rear of battery and welded plate on floor in front of battery that the loop of the strap hooks into.

donny273 Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:00 pm

Excellent! I have the strap, just need to make the little piece it clips into. Does the strap bolt into one of the body hold down bolt holes along the back ? Many thanks.

ernstben Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:40 pm

donny273 wrote: Excellent! I have the strap, just need to make the little piece it clips into. Does the strap bolt into one of the body hold down bolt holes along the back ? Many thanks.

There's a threaded stud for the rear mount. I got that stud and the front mount from WW:

donny273 Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:12 pm

Perfect thanks so much.

donny273 Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:04 pm

Engine in soon for first time for me with this 56 basket case. Can anyone post a pic of the firewall/front engine compartment seal. It is a single lip seal as supplied by WW. I need to know orientation. Thanks

JoeyJo Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:05 pm

I Brought her home today! No pan/No vin tag what year do you guys think she is?

VW_Jimbo Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:19 pm

JoeyJo wrote: I Brought her home today! No pan/No vin tag what year do you guys think she is?

55, 56 or 57. The rear wheel well is different than 54s.

The steering wheel is a late model Bug, around 70.

That was a quick look! Good luck!

my56samba Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:48 am

It is not a 55model year as the doors aren't ribbed so a 56 or 57. 56 models started production in August 55. 56 and 57's don't have many differences. On Dec 19th 56 they moved the heater vents back from near the very front of the heater channels back towards the door. your pictures don't show this area but not all 57's are back as production of 57 model year started in Aug 56. Is there a body number stamped in the front apron in-between the upper parts of the white painted 5 and 3 on your car. you can check with the VIN/Chassis numbers listings in the Samba's technical section. Good luck with your new project!

67 Florida Deluxe Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:48 pm

I haven't driven the car since May and today it had no spark. Fortunately, it was an easy fix by cleaning the points and rotor. Now that the weather is getting cooler and the nearly daily rain (and hurricanes and tropical storms, like the one we had a couple days ago) are beginning to subside, I'm looking forward to driving it again :D I should find out where that wire hanging on the left side of the engine compartment goes :-k

upwardr Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:25 pm

Jimbo , you stated the wheel wells in a 54 are different than 56 and up.

How so? Looks the same

67 Florida Deluxe Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:52 pm

I noticed a little fog in one of the headlamp lenses. Cleaned the lens and replaced the seals on both; they were in desperate need of replacing.

aa390392 Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:41 pm

upwardr wrote: Jimbo , you stated the wheel wells in a 54 are different than 56 and up.

How so? Looks the same

Jimbo? Yes please enlighten us.

aa390392 Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:37 pm

Christmas day drive Manhattan Beach, El Segundo.

VW_Jimbo Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:08 pm

aa390392 wrote: upwardr wrote: Jimbo , you stated the wheel wells in a 54 are different than 56 and up.

How so? Looks the same

Jimbo? Yes please enlighten us.

Here you go. Sorry, I do not check this thread often.

From my time playing with Bugs, this is one key feature I always check for. Even side to side on the same car, as the later inner fender wells are readily available, but the earlier ones are not.

54 and down is smooth, like this.

It changed in 55, somewhere. Not sure when. But here is a 56 for reference.

See that large squared edged intrusion at the inner front. That’s the change.

upwardr Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:01 pm

Thanks Jimbo, took me a while to see it in the photos but I get it. My 54 is so bad in this area I would not have noticed.

Will try to make mine into a 54 style. I did receive a used shock tower area with package shelf attached and the shelf is different on my car. They must have changed the stamping sometime after 54 by about 5/8” in the rib stamping.

Da TOW'D Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:09 pm

Our '57 BlackBerry bug has been hard to start. I had the chance to put it the shop and see what was wrong.
I hooked up a remote starter switch so I could start it while looking at the engine.
Lucky I did
I saw that there was fuel leaking from the accelerator pump cover on the Solex 28 PCI. Spraying on the distributor.
I pulled the cover and lapped it with valve grinding compound . Figure 8's on a plate of glass.
notice the bare section on the inside of the cover.

about 15 minutes worth of lapping did the job.
I put it back together and no leaks. I'll be more careful not tightening the 4 screws too much.
but it still started rough. I have the electronic points replacement and good spark.
so I pulled the cap and found the rotor sat on the distributor shaft pretty sloppy. Somehow the bakelite tang inside of the rotor had snapped off
I found a good used rotor in my parts collection.
big difference starts up much easier
cheers
Hank