TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: What did you do to your Oval today? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57, 58  Next
EVfun Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:53 pm

upwardr wrote: Thanks Jimbo, took me a while to see it in the photos but I get it. My 54 is so bad in this area I would not have noticed.

Will try to make mine into a 54 style. I did receive a used shock tower area with package shelf attached and the shelf is different on my car. They must have changed the stamping sometime after 54 by about 5/8” in the rib stamping.
The change is most likely with the change from ribbed doors to the later doors. There was an extensive body change at that point. Obvious and subtle changes were made all around the car. The back seat area legroom was enlarged slightly at that point, it would make sense it might show on the inner rear fender.

Oh yeah -- I took the Oval out today and exercised the on/off switch (throttle.) Despite being in for a couple months it started easy and ran great. I kept thinking the engine died when I pushed the clutch in, but it is just really quiet at idle. The heat had me rolling the window part way down, but the whole point of a winter drive on a nice but cold day is to pump heat through everything to help keep any corrosion at bay. I really need to fix the wipers so I can drive it more often during the Seattle winter! One of those things about driving an oval -- once again I see some nut behind the wheel scrambling to get his phone out and take a picture while driving (hang up and drive please.)

aa390392 Tue Jan 05, 2021 2:59 pm

Started both of them..the end

iubhounds Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:07 pm

I took my new acquired '57 oval, built for off road, up to Brown Canyon today.

MeeferMadness Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:46 am

Began painting wheels today. Trying to do a budget restore on them. Cleaned inside of the wheels then blasted the wheel face. Used WW Silver White and attempted a L33 blue rim color. The car I have was beige, but has one respray of Horzon Blue. Putting 165/15 back on the car
Bruce

5500 Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:14 am

Cleaned up 60+ years of grime from used tins. Next, I will cut the cylinder tins to accommodate the SG Zenith manifolds I'll be using on my WW/Okrasa build. Not very technical and doesn't require any specialized skills but there's something very rewarding about cleaning off tins and finding shiny black original paint!

67 Florida Deluxe Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:50 pm

Finally got some 6v 21/5w tail light bulbs to replace the 18/5w bulbs that were in the car. Not a huge difference, but every little bit of tail light wattage helps!

5500 Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:36 pm

Set up carb linkage today for the WW 1397 going into my 57 ragtop. Found some adjustable Unimog throttle levers that enabled me to connect to the CSP bellcrank. Its just roughed in for now but there's a good range of adjustability in the linkage arms and the bellcrank return spring works well enough to do away with the stock carb return springs.

MeeferMadness Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:32 am

Took my 56 out for a fill up and had to wait for over 1/2 hour to get across. First time the car has been on the road since I bought it in July 1999

aa390392 Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:59 am

Let my old bugs out to graze with their younger siblings

67rustavenger Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:18 pm

^^^^^ Foul! Too many really nice cars. 8) :D

Looks like you live close to LAX. That big ass plane in one of the images is a give away.

kruno Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:35 pm

Killing Sunday boredom and playing with 3d scanner

67 Florida Deluxe Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:11 pm

Finally achieved what I thought was IMPOSSIBLE! My car is a Swedish delivery with a speedo in KM/H. The former U.S. registrations recorded the odometer reading as MILES instead of kilometers. After a bit of "squeaky wheel" perseverance, I successfully got the title switched from original MILES to original KILOMETERS with the DMV. The title actually reads "kilometers" now as exact mileage. \:D/

67 Florida Deluxe Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:57 pm

aa390392 wrote: Let my old bugs out to graze with their younger siblings

You have some nice cars

Turtlecar56 Thu May 20, 2021 9:03 pm

I pulled out the nose as much as I could with what I have at my house. I’m going to chop off the nose this weekend and prep for putting the new one on. Also got the correct hood. Stripped and etched primed it.

donny273 Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:04 pm

Big spring or smaller sring on 1956 type 1 deck lid? Looks like the smaller spring would fit better. Maybe they came with either? Thoughts?

56Cabrio Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:16 pm

donny273 wrote: Big spring or smaller sring on 1956 type 1 deck lid? Looks like the smaller spring would fit better. Maybe they came with either? Thoughts?
Small spring.

aa390392 Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:38 pm

Hours of cleaning engine tin for my 55, paint semi gloss black.

aa390392 Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:20 pm

Dropped engine off for complete rebuild at Daves in Anaheim, Went by automiester in Manhattan Beach for cooling fan replacement. Mike has been working on rear apron replacement...hes damn good.
Tomas

5500 Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:40 am

Created an auxiliary circuit board for my 57. Added relays to all the switched circuits and created new switched and unswitched circuits for future use. Everything tied into the original harness/switches without splicing into original harness (gotta love screw terminals!). Except for enlarging a previously drilled hole for a new ground, nothing was molested. The panel is velcro'd down and can be easily removed for future mods/restoration. And it actually works!

MeeferMadness Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:09 pm

Installed new carpeting in my 56. Decided to try V-dubs Upholstery. For the price I was happy with the quality and with some trimming, the fit!