TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Engine cuts out on hard right turns!!!
Surf Trip'n Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:01 am

I have a 87 Vanagon Camper that has a NEW problem that has arisen as of late. When I turn to the right, in some cases not all, I will lose power and the tach will drop. As soon as I staighten out, all is well. It runs great, but a hard right can cause the problem. Any thoughts?

PS the longer the turn the worse it is. :(

Tom Powell Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:17 am

how much fuel in the tank?
tp

hiram6 Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:29 am

Fuel starvation was the first thing I thought of as well. I've gotten too close to empty a few times while cruising, and had engine cut out as I took an exit ramp. That's a long hard right turn, just as you described.

puravidadon Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:58 am

It could be the power steering. I put a new belt on mine and every time I turned hard right the belt would squeal. I tightened the belt and that went away. I'm not an expert on hydraulics but I figured that when I turned all the way right the system reached the end and the pump had to work real hard. This could be your problem if your rpms are a little low.

danfromsyr Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:08 am

You are not the ONLY ONE with this issue...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...highlight=

you are going to have to pull your Dist cap and REALLY CLOSELY inspect the wires on the HALL effect sensor..
not just the plug (but don't skip it) but INSIDE the Dist at the TINY LITTLE wires..
I've had this issue with both my Vanagon & my Audi.. one little electrical distraction and the coil won't fire..
the Audi in it's over wired zealty at least tells me there's no Hall signal.. the van just stares at me blankly and says.. I dunno, but I'm not startin.

in the Van it was a Right hand turn symptom,
in the audi it was just intermittant.. but then would start with a Bump start and I suspected the Ign switch on the key even though it'd flash a Hall code.. it was right in the end..

this may not be your issue but it's certainly a movement sensative scenario to explore.

Dan in NY

jmfoust Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:36 am

Check to make sure your battery isn't grounding out under the passenger seat.

deprivation Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:18 am

I had this happen and it turned out my keyring was so heavy, turning too fast or hard caused the key to turn the engine off.

No kidding.

MootPoint Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:12 am

I posted a similar question a couple of years ago. I don't know if my issue was the same as yours but here's the (short) thread.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2552300&highlight=#2552300

Of course, I haven't DONE anything about it yet...

vwjoel Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:25 am

I had a similar problem on my 91. It turned out that the break out from the engine harness that layed on top of the block and plugged into the Hall sensor (Distributor) Had gotten hot enough at some point to melt the wires together. They would short intermittently giving a hesitation and the tach would drop. I pulled the whole engine harness to diagnose it and replaced the break out to the hall sensor and have had no problm since.