TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: can an 82 cali westi fi be converted to carburetor
sac1579 Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:21 pm

hello all,
my fi sucks and tired of fixin it. Can i put a carb kit on it

mightyart Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:36 pm

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC-C10-5504

Randy in Maine Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:58 pm

Well if you are going to do that, install dual carbs not a weber progressive. That would be the worst possible set up. Ideally dual 2 barrel carbs would be best. Get them pre-set up for your application as they are not correctly set up out of the box. I would suggest buying them from aricooled.net or the type4 store.

You will also need a new rotary fuel pump like this 3.5psi one....

http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=577

A good linkage will pay off big time.

Usually it is just more cost effective to fix what you have. What is the problem?

sonk Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:21 pm

Hello,

I have the same westy, but I think it might be illegal to put a crab on since your 82 westy needs to be smogged. A car has to be at least 30 years old before it does not need to be smogged. That means in 2012 you will be able to put a carb if im not mistaken..

Just my 2 Cents,

Sonk

simd0ggie Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:29 pm

How does a crab work? Can I add one to my fuel injected van?

Crab-van, Crab-van, Tastes like crab, Drives like Van...

Randy in Maine Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:50 pm

sonk wrote: I have the same westy, but I think it might be illegal to put a crab on since your 82 westy needs to be smogged. A car has to be at least 30 years old before it does not need to be smogged. That means in 2012 you will be able to put a carb if im not mistaken..

NH has no laws on anything. Literally nothing.

perrib Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:39 pm

Most FI problems are dirty connections changing the input values the ECM should see. If your good with electronics converting to mega squirt FI might be better than installing carbs. A set of dual 40s work well. The fuel pump needs to be controled by an early rabbit fuel pump relay that will turn off the pump if the engine is not running.

sonk Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:58 am

Thanks,,,

Thats Carb.. my bad.. hehee, maybe I should go back to school..

SoNK

?Waldo? Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:06 am

Randy in Maine wrote: NH has no laws on anything. Literally nothing

Live free or die, mofo...