TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: No Wire on Oil Sensor Switch 78 bus
pcon42 Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:40 am

After cleaning the engine and compartment with a degreaser, my engine will now not start. I didn't douse it at all. Have a spark off the coil and today will test if the distributor works and the plugs. I did notice there is no wire to the oil switch. Can this be the simple problem?

Thanks

Rusty O'Toole Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:26 am

Hook it up and see. Some engines are wired so if you lose oil pressure it kills the ignition. Not sure if VW ever did this.

You may have knocked something else loose accidentally. Go around and push all the electrical connectors on good and vacuum hoses too.

VDubTech Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:29 am

Rusty O'Toole wrote: Some engines are wired so if you lose oil pressure it kills the ignition. Not sure if VW ever did this.

Definitely not. The lack of wire to the oil pressure switch isn't cauing your engine not to start. If it ran before you cleaned it, it has to be a simple problem. Spray some WD-40 under the cap and give it another go.

pcon42 Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:51 am

Tried the wd 40 but not luck, checked the hoses and all are in order. Go figure, wanted to make my first bus nice looking and I screwed it up!

Any other advice?

Saw a post to check the spark on everything.

Thanks

pcon42 Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:53 am

Remembered I took a picture before I bought this bus, blew it up and saw I had one wire missing. Now it starts. Thanks for the help.

kerian159 Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:06 am

Yay! always take pics of stuff :-) I tell that to older people when they need to bring their computer to me to work on. Digital or Polaroid works when brain's do not!

Jay