TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cargo arriving from Germany Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jake Martinez Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:06 pm

:shock:

ok ..... did you find out what was in the cabinates? :wink:

Jake Martinez Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:12 pm

man your going to have a sweet setup :)

have you done any work to the 53 lately?

53kombi Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:29 pm

One of the drawers is locked, but I am working on having the keys made from pics sent to me from Bob at BBT, from his Westfalia Museum Camping-Box. The other drawer had a plastic shopping bag with some random new hardware, a small weird hook, and two old german propane gas regulators for use with the stove. One appeared to be NOS, and the other one looked to be used, although it could just need to be cleaned up, and is showing shelf wear. When I heard the stuff sliding around in the drawer after I picked up at the shipper's warehouse, I was excited because I thought it was the keys. Oh well, maybe the keys were locked in the other drawer and forgotten about. A locksmith should be able to get me in there. Who knows what is in that drawer, if anything. Perhaps untold Westfalia treasures still await me inside the drawer. I am out of town working right now, so I will have to wait until next week to find the right locksmith, and the answer to that question. Yes, it is driving me crazy not to know. I have wondered since I was at the museum in 2007, but I am a lot closer to knowing now.

The '53 is still sitting in the garage waiting to get the Rafferty treatment. Patience young grasshopper. All in good time.

Jake Martinez Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:34 pm

haha ok ... i hope something it is something good in there.... :wink:

you going to bulli brigade?

campingbox Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:45 pm

Congratulations Danny. That kit will look fantastic in your '53 Kombi.

Are you planning to run the late '60'ies plaid as-is or are you going to make some more "'53" period correct cushions?

53kombi Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:03 pm

Hey Greg, thanks for the kind words. I will keep the SO-34 material plaid cushions so the original stuff remains together, but I am hoping to get some of the '50s brown/beige plaid that Alex is planning to reproduce for his '55, and make new cushions, curtains and child's cot for my bus. The plaid material he plans to reproduce appears in the prototype Camping-Box pictured in the '53 sales brochure.
My plans are to produce a version of the Westfalia Museum Camping-Box that really pays attention to the details. Mine will be more complete and accurately done than the ones from the museum. I feel like the museum builds didn't really show off the abilities of the factory at the time that the barndoor Camping-Box was in production. Of the known original Camping-Boxes, they are all '54s and all were standards that had kits fitted. I want to build a camper based on the kombi, and outfitted for camping, with all of the available components and features that were being used during '53 at the factory. Of course, I welcome your comments and consultation as the build progresses. We have talked about many parts of the camper, and you have helped me make some decisions already. Your wealth of knowledge on the early Westy's is nice to have as a source.

campingbox Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:17 pm

According to the "125 years" book the campingbox was introduced in 1954, so that would explain why no earlier ones have turned up (yet). The "South Africa Today" bus is earlier than 1954 and has a pretty unique interior in it.

The plaid fabric likely helps date that kit, because the later plaid fabrics in that same color scheme appear to be rectangles and not squares like the flipseat plaids.

I think it's really cool that you scored that kit, and look forward to checking it out again in person some day. I'll have to make plans for the 2015 CTS show.

Jake Martinez Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:28 pm

camping box... would you know much about so-42 bigtop tents? and which color patterns are less common then others

scvw Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:34 pm

Hey Danny,

Bring the kit to the fall Camp Armour campout. I will try it out in my bus. I know, I know I have too late model of a bus for it but it should fit great in Mark's.

campingbox Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:39 pm

Jake Martinez wrote: camping box... would you know much about so-42 bigtop tents? and which color patterns are less common then others

I know very little about big-top Westy tents, but have seen a number of different varieties and colors. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all unique in one way or another.

BryanM Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:41 pm

scvw wrote: Hey Danny,

Bring the kit to the fall Camp Armour campout. I will try it out in my bus. I know, I know I have too late model of a bus for it but it should fit great in Mark's.

might as well try it in a vanagon if we're gonna try it in your late model! :D

53kombi Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Well, let's hope that I make it before then. It was sort of a joke response to Regina, but I hope it doesn't take that long. I am familiar with the South Africa today Westfalia, and like that it had full wood treatment inside. Not sure if I will do that with mine, but I am leaning that way. It would definitely help prevent dents to the outside of the body from the inside, and make it more comfortable. I am really producing what would be a version of a prototype Camping-Box, which could have been around in mid-late '53.
If you look at your pics of Joe's '54 Camping-Box, you can see the differences in the production interiors versus the prototype pictured in the earliest sales brochure. The museum interiors were copies of the prototype in the sales brochure, and share the same details. Note that the brochure interior and the museum interiors had keyed locks on the drawers of the big cabinet and the rear cabinet, while Joe's cabinets have the same cabinet hardware (door/drawer handles) as other Westy's up to '58. These are also seen on the cargo door cabinet in Joe's interior, while the prototype and museum interiors have different pulls. The way the table secures in the all the way up position to keep a kid from rolling off is the same in the brochure and museum interiors, but different on Joe's too. Small detail differences, but when you look at it, Westfalia must have used one of their NOS sales brochures and original pictures from the brochure photo shoot to design and build the museum interiors.
I got my hands on one of the NOS '53/'54 sales brochures, and will use that as my guide for my build, much as the factory did when producing the museum interiors. Of course, anything was possible in a custom order camper from Westfalia, so I will use my best judgement and equip my bus according to what features that would have been available if I could have ordered it in '53. My goal is to keep it period correct, based on evidence of materials and features that were used on Westfalia products during that year. BBT Bob's '53 caravan has given me some evidence of what was available from the factory, as far as colors and materials and hardware.
This is something that I have been working on for several years in the research stage, and when it all comes together, it should be a respectable restoration of the bus and a period correct prototype-style camper conversion. You know I will be talking with you about stuff as it progresses. Thank you for being so willing to discuss the details in the past, and I look forward to picking your brain even more.

scvw Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:49 pm

BryanM wrote: scvw wrote: Hey Danny,

might as well try it in a vanagon if we're gonna try it in your late model! :D

Ouch!

Ok Bryan. Mark can call my bus a late model and Jon can do the same with my oval. Unless you've got something hidden in the back of Monkey Nut :fist: :lol:

53kombi Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:54 pm

Joey, you don't have a chance of getting my interior in your bus. Didn't you read the post about Mark not being able to talk me into it? Bubba even offered to be my personal chauffeur with his '50 kombi, and that got him nowhere. Besides, it simply will not work with your "late model" drink tray style bulkhead. The later Camping-Boxes had a curved area near the top in the rear of the cabinet to accommodate that feature. Maybe you can talk Greg out of one of his. :roll:

Jake, please stay on topic. :wink:

53kombi Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:56 pm

Joey, you are going to make Bryan pull out his "barndoor project". How is that going Bryan? Do you have more than just a shifter bushing yet? :roll:

BryanM Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:58 pm

53kombi wrote: Joey, you are going to make Bryan pull out his "barndoor project". How is that going Bryan? Do you have more than just a shifter bushing yet? :roll:

Yea man, I got a nifty change holder too!

53kombi Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:01 pm

That means that half of your project is already repro stuff. And you are stocking the funky green stuff these days....I see where this is going. You should buy Bubba's single cab, its already done.

npbusguy Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:05 pm

Hurry up and fix the kombi so we can go for a ride...

BryanM Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:06 pm

53kombi wrote: That means that half of your project is already repro stuff. And you are stocking the funky green stuff these days....I see where this is going. You should buy Bubba's single cab, its already done.

no way, I found an econoline I'm gonna convert into a barndoor.

campingbox Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:09 pm

If Joey drives his standard out to Washington I'll let him use the '57 kit for the weekend.