TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cargo arriving from Germany Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
campingbox Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:43 pm

53kombi wrote: Here is the example I was thinking of. I borrowed it from Everett's VW Facts section on the homepage. No rack on this bus, but you can see the cover flap on the roof. Looks to be a post-barndoor Westy, but early enough to have the wider tent like yours Greg. Maybe it just hooks on to the pole closest to the bus, and doesn't need any special provisions built into the tent. We may have stumbled onto the rarest of the rare westy tent option.

Another thing worth noting is that the tent for my '55 has one long piece of canvas for the face and the rear piece, meaning there are only three pieces of canvas that make up the whole tent rather than the usual four. It's all sewn together, so it could not be "held out" for additional shade like the one pictured.

53kombi Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:53 pm

I could be wrong about the one in the picture being the wider variety too. It just looks wider than normal. Very interesting about your three piece tent. I would love to check that one out in person. Do you know of any other tents like yours Greg?

Jake Martinez Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:18 am

so is there a pre 55 tent and a 56 and later?or would it be pre 58?

DownRiver Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:55 am

Could the flap on the non-rack yellow bus be the width of the cargo doors? Upon driving away (possible?) from the tent, perhaps you could close the flap to protect your valuables?

The barndoor with the rack has a much wider piece of material, and actually looks like a cover for the rack.

spookymulder Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:04 am

DownRiver wrote: Could the flap on the non-rack yellow bus be the width of the cargo doors? Upon driving away (possible?) from the tent. Not possible

53kombi Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:16 am

We can't really see the rear of the cover in the small picture, so it is hard to say if it is different than the one in the brochure. Without definite info about the piece, it is hard to know if maybe it is the same, but maybe attached in a more rearward position. The one from the '53 brochure is toward the front of the rack, and you can see the end of the material toward the back of the rack. All speculation at this time. Definitely not for when the bus drives away, because the tent attaches to the bus, and is not free standing.