TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: fresh rebuilt engine, no oil pressure?
codykjwalton Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:22 pm

i got the freshly rebuilt 1600 longblock installed and ready to go today. everything looked excellent. I removed the sparkplugs, coil wire, put in oil and turned the engine over to first get oil pressure. my oil pressure light stayed on the entire time i was turning the engine over ( no oil pressure). I took out the oil pressure switch tested it and it works. so the switch adn wires for oil pressure are all functioning.?

the oil pump is rebuilt and new from bill and steve's foreign auto in downey. im going to give them a call tomorrow if you guys cant help me find a solution.

fastinradford Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:27 pm

turn it over more.

73kombi Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:29 pm

I'd just start it up, either the light goes off, or your warranty kicks in...

busdaddy Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:35 pm

Use a pump can or small funnel and get some oil down the sender hole to prime the pump.

Did you install the pump or did it come with the longblock? Dished cam or flat?

codykjwalton Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:36 pm

im scared to start the engine, several sources say not to start the engine until that light goes off. (im new to vw's..)

also i turned it over ALOT... i dont think more will change anything concerning the light.

when i pull out the oil pressure switch there is no oil residue on the bolt...should there be?

codykjwalton Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:37 pm

oil pump came with long block. i called up the shop and they said they wouldnt put a flat cam in my block...

visket Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:52 pm

1) Go to the hardware store or auto part store and buy a squeeze tube of white lithium grease.

2) Take the oil pump cover off. and squeeze the white lithium grease into the gear cogs.

3) Retry test.

4) Smile. Have a beer.

Mike

Desertbusman Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:38 pm

So which of your topics are you using for your no pressure problem?

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=382773&start=20
Get rid of one of the topics or better yet combine into one.

Or do you have two different busses without pressure?

The pump needs priming. Do what Visket says. Pack the cavity on the RH side which is the suction side. Whoever built the engine should have packed it. Wonder what else they didn't do.

Ignore the comment about just starting it.

EverettB Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:48 pm

Please stick with your other thread since it's longer now.