TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Tom Hanks just bought a Syncro Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
jaredmarcucci Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:11 pm

I am sitting here watching David Letterman and he has Tom Hanks on as a guest. I was half paying attention because I was also browsing The Samba and I hear Tom Hanks telling David Letterman that he just bought a 20 year old car that is a VW Syncro. My respect for Tom Hanks just went up a notch.

Moderator edit...
Here's the interview (Syncro-talk begins at 5:30):

blakeck2 Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:13 pm

jaredmarcucci wrote: I am sitting here watching David Letterman and he has Tom Hanks on as a guest. I was half paying attention because I was also browsing The Samba and I hear Tom Hanks telling David Letterman that he just bought a 20 year old car that is a VW Syncro. My respect for Tom Hanks just went up a notch.

Ive herd about that, but I thought he owned one already :shock:

jaredmarcucci Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:17 pm

The whole bit has been about his Syncro adventure driving across the country and having problems with the beloved syncro throughout the whole drive. They are even showing pictures of the Syncro. It is pretty cool. He said he had it tricked out and completely re-done. I wonder who did the work? He also said that the speedometer crapped out 18 miles into the trip. The AC was not working or he did not have AC and the fuel gauge was not working correctly. These are not problems they are standard options on the Syncro :) in my mind.

BulliBill Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:19 pm

I'm watching it live right now, it's awesome! Hanks owns a Syncro!

Bill Bowman

BulliBill Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:20 pm

He's about to show photo #3 and they ran out of gas on the Bonneville Salt Flats!

Bill

erdonline Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:24 pm

OK, we've got to get word to him to find the Samba, the Vanagon mailing list, the Syncro lists, Yahoo Groups on Syncros, and Larry Chase's mechanics lists. No reason he should get ripped off or not be able to find good advice. Maybe he'll even invest in getting some of those NLA parts back into production.

Ed in CT

Tristar Eric Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:31 pm

He's most likely here already... he's using an alias like all of us.

"I... made... F-I-R-E!!!"

blakeck2 Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:39 pm

Tristar Eric wrote: He's most likely here already... he's using an alias like all of us.

How do we know your not him... o_O

BulliBill Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:42 pm

I wish he would have mentioned who (shop) did the total restoration on the Syncro, so they could be avoided. Who would send a star like Tom and his brother out on the road with no air conditioning?

Bill

240Gordy Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:50 pm

he was the guy we never saw post again after somebody told him to use the search.

syncrodoka Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:58 pm

no a/c- OMG :shock:

thewump Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Tristar Eric wrote: He's most likely here already... he's using an alias like all of us.

I'm Spartacus!

K

blakeck2 Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:13 am

Seems to be a syncro westy :shock:

syncrodoka Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:22 am

He claimed that it is from the 70's :shock:
He doesn't even know what decade it was made in :lol:

blakeck2 Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:02 am

syncrodoka wrote: He claimed that it is from the 70's :shock:
He doesn't even know what decade it was made in :lol:

AHAHAHA I wonder if more people will want one or if they will stay clear of them cause of all the negatives hank mentioned :twisted:

Alaric.H Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:57 am

I believe it was from Gowesty with there 2.5 if I remember he made it to Arizona when he started complaining it did not have enough power.
This was a month ago are so.

Diamond Hell Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:02 am

Well it's caused enough of a blip for VW Syncro to be pulled up in Google Trends this morning here

Volkswagen Syncro was 'spicy' this morning, but has now slipped to 'Medium'.

I suspect it'll be cool by this evening, unless Letterman gets repeated (I'm UK based, so have no idea on that score).

westynova Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:26 am

No, I am Spartacus!

nacradriver Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:05 am

Using this avitar???

purplegodzilla Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:05 am

240Gordy wrote: he was the guy we never saw post again after somebody told him to use the search.

Either that or "get a Bentley"