TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 58 Westy Restoration Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
bubba Wed May 12, 2010 6:50 pm

spookymulder wrote: What would npbusguy do? He would post ads in Old bus Review for 20 years wanting NOS parts before starting into it at all! :P
i agree, you are moving waayyyy to fast for Neil. :D

npbusguy Wed May 12, 2010 7:13 pm

bubba wrote: spookymulder wrote: What would npbusguy do? He would post ads in Old bus Review for 20 years wanting NOS parts before starting into it at all! :P
i agree, you are moving waayyyy to fast for Neil. :D

Slow and steady wins the race.... :lol:

scvw Wed May 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Looking good Jim. You've got a good asset on your team. Looking forward to meeting you on Friday. Bring your bus driving gloves. :wink:

StockNazi Fri May 14, 2010 7:20 am

slow36hp wrote: no matter how nice and original that remaining floor scrap is after quilting the whole back together you will wish you had done the whole thing. i know i did nice thread, and awesome bus

any other opinions on replacing the whole floor rather than patching the og? my bus underneeth looks very similar to jim's and i have been debating wether to replace the entire floor and structure or just patch up whats there now. my biggest concern, like jim mentioned, is getting the shift rod alignment correct and also dealing with the e-brake and heater cable tubes under there.

keep up the good work

Stall20 Sat May 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Good work! Great bus. Gotta love a p/g s/g westy.

MrBusCo Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:06 pm

any updates Jim?

vws-microcars4jim Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:51 pm

Yes Josh, I am still going strong on this project. Still detailing the bulkhead. The lower side portions where it meets the B-pillars were a bit chewed up and required some work, there is a little indent in that area that I want to look right, it is taking some time.

I also got the shift rod apart, rusty looking but came apart easily.

Took the I-beams and shift rod/tube out as one piece. Not sure if this is how others would do it, but it was measured several times before removal.

Just for the record, here is why the I-beams were replaced:

Frame rail media blasting is next.

npbusguy Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:47 pm

vws-microcars4jim wrote:
Frame rail media blasting is next.

OH Yeah :!: =D>

scvw Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:55 pm

I'm loving this thread.

MrBusCo Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:03 pm

scvw wrote: I'm loving this thread.

x2!!!

vws-microcars4jim Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:49 pm

Not a huge update, but a big upgrade for the garage and this project:
8)

ezcamper Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:57 pm

Hello, do you have the old bulk head? I need the lower pieces on each corner (the part behind the front wheels... not the flat metal but the domed metal)

and if you have a little bit of floor left.

-Chad

MrBusCo Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:58 pm

working on a project is the best excuse to make garage upgrades!!! I sense a sandstorm in your future....

mightymouse Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:55 pm

vws-microcars4jim wrote: Not a huge update, but a big upgrade for the garage and this project:
8)

damn, where did you source a "CAT" powered compressor?
Thats quite a unit. does it hiss when it shuts down? lol

StockNazi Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:28 am

those i-beams and bulkhead areas sure do look familiar

nice work on the details of that lowere bulkhead; even though a wood panel will cover it for the most part you know it's done right underneeth.

any tips/problems you encountered while seperating your old floor in 1 piece?

vws-microcars4jim Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:00 am

StockNazi wrote: those i-beams and bulkhead areas sure do look familiar

nice work on the details of that lowere bulkhead; even though a wood panel will cover it for the most part you know it's done right underneeth.

any tips/problems you encountered while seperating your old floor in 1 piece?

I am going for a quality job, no short-cuts. Areas that can't be seen are still going to be done right!
Luckily I get to look at Neil's '58 as a reference, no short-cuts were taken there.

The floor came out with some effort, drilling all the holes was a bit tedious.
Once all the welds were drilled I popped the floor loose with a deadblow hammer and pried it loose from underneath with long bars. It didn't get bent up at all. I could reuse it if I had to but more of Gerson's Green seems to be the obvious choice.
The only tricky part of the floor removal was at the rear side where the floor meets the "firewall," and there was some careful cutting around the heater bulges.
I am trying to blast the frame rails clean right now, it is a messy job.
I am sorry that I bought a cheap sandblaster. It has failed already. :x
Jim

scvw Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:14 pm

vws-microcars4jim wrote:
I am going for a quality job, no short-cuts. Areas that can't be seen are still going to be done right!
Luckily I get to look at Neil's '58 as a reference, no short-cuts were taken there.

Now that is good to hear. :D Looking great Jim.

MrBusCo Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:22 pm

scvw wrote: vws-microcars4jim wrote:

Come on Jim, a little chewing gum, duct tape, and a few trips to home depot and that bus will be on the road! just rivet it together and spray paint it. git-r-done!

BeaterBarndoor Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:34 pm

JOGR wrote: scvw wrote: vws-microcars4jim wrote:

Come on Jim, a little chewing gum, duct tape, and a few trips to home depot and that bus will be on the road! just rivet it together and spray paint it. git-r-done!

man...youre giving away all my secrets...dont tell Neil that! :shock: :lol:

npbusguy Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:51 pm

vws-microcars4jim wrote: I am going for a quality job, no short-cuts. Areas that can't be seen are still going to be done right!
Jim

Ahhh, I feel like my job here is done. When I first met Jim he talked about lowering the front end and adding a fiberglass valance under the carved wood front bumper. He also planned on jacking up the rear and putting a Lomborghini wing on the roof. The wheels he picked out were 13" for the front (they are still in his garage, I will try to get a photo) and some 10" wide 15 inchers in the back. Other details were cut wheel wells with flairs and smoked spade shape windows. I guess that is what is to be expecteed from a guy that keeps the Busch light beer for himself and reads Car-Toones magazines all day. :wink: