TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Zbar help
swhitcomb Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:29 am

My car is missing quite a bit of the zbar setup. I don't know the system at all. I have no idea what I am missing and can't find any of it for sale anywhere. Where can I find it and a diagram of what it should look like.

fred69vert Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:36 am

I found lots of info using the "search" (Z-bar) on the late model forum. I recently got a 68 'vert that is missing a lot of the z-bar hardware.

60ragtop Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:54 am

Wolfsburg West is reproducing the rubber bushing kit for these.

drscope Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:10 am

Wofsburg West has almost all the parts except for the bar itself. Go to their site and search z bar;
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/SearchResults.cfm

I thought they had a picture showing where everything went but I didn't find it.

bugninva Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:26 pm

if you don't have the appropriate Bentley manual, I can scan the page that shows the equalizer spring.... I may even still have some of the components that came off my 68 bug laying in the dirt somewhere.

andy_t Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:24 pm

stolen from the gallery

iaccy Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:52 pm

this is what my complete one looked like before I put it in the car. It's not up close and detailed, but you can see what it's supposed to look like.

Blu67Bug Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:54 pm

Try these links I just found here on TheSamba:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=841189

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=54754

The second one seems to have all the parts, whereas the first one is missing the "connecting arms" that go to the axle cups. :D

swhitcomb Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:36 pm

I do have the bentley for the car. I guess I missed it when I looked. I'm glad to see that WW sells all the bushings. I'll order them. One more question. Sorry to sound so uninformed. I really do know what I am doing most of the time and have been working on VWs for about 20 years, but never had a 67. Does the zbar have to come off to remove the body?

gt1953 Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:58 pm

Short answer Yes. It has a mechanical connect between the body and the drive line.

DerekR Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:51 pm

[/quote]
I have a pair of the brackets that mount on the axle tube if anybody needs them.

conrad1468 Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:49 am

andy T. That the picture of my 68 beetle's Z-bar.

It took me forever to find the rubber cap that sits on top of the bar's bushing. Everyone keep on wanting to sell me the whole set up and not just the cap.. even if they had just odd parts of a Z-bar.

I don't know if the z-bar really does anything but i left it on because VW put it there for a reason.

drscope Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:44 am

swhitcomb wrote: I do have the bentley for the car. I guess I missed it when I looked. I'm glad to see that WW sells all the bushings. I'll order them. One more question. Sorry to sound so uninformed. I really do know what I am doing most of the time and have been working on VWs for about 20 years, but never had a 67. Does the zbar have to come off to remove the body?

Not really! The bar won't have to come off, but you do need to undo the links so the bar is free from the suspension on the bottom. The bar can stay with the body.

swhitcomb Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:55 am

Thanks everyone for the pics and links. I'm in the middle of a body off resto on this 67 and had no idea what was even missing let alone where to find it.

KTPhil Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:30 am

conrad1468 wrote: I don't know if the z-bar really does anything but i left it on because VW put it there for a reason.

Set up stock, it's nothing but an overload spring so you don't bottom out fully loaded. if you never load the back you won't miss it

It was added when VW softened the rear springs and raised the font end a bit to minimize oversteer.

Shimmed it can provide some roll stiffness but this undoes what VW intended unless you also add a thicker front anti-roll bar.