TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 74 VW Bus Worth $300?
sambrooks09 Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:57 pm

is it worth $300, person had it listed for $500 got em to $300, has no engine or transmission, how much would cost me to put an engine and transmission in it and get it running?
Thanks, Sam

EZ Gruv Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:04 pm

It likely has $300 in parts on it.

drober23 Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:21 pm

Hmmm... I see some rust damage on the body, especially in the back. Tires look like passenger car tires.

In addition to the missing engine and transmission, it is missing several parts that I can see (rear gate latch, side markers, tail light lens, etc..)

Who know what evil lurks underneath (how are the brakes, front beam, etc...).

I would suspect you will be well over $1,000 more to get that running. But it looks like a decent spot to start a project from. Mostly depending on what engine you decide to put in it (stock 1800, or a 2.0 L upgrade)

If you are looking for a project and the owner has a clean title in his hand it's probably worth it. If you think it is some super deal that you can't possibly pass up you should think again.

notchboy Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:44 pm

drober23 wrote: Hmmm... I see some rust damage on the body, especially in the back. Tires look like passenger car tires.

In addition to the missing engine and transmission, it is missing several parts that I can see (rear gate latch, side markers, tail light lens, etc..)

Who know what evil lurks underneath (how are the brakes, front beam, etc...).

I would suspect you will be well over $1,000 more to get that running. But it looks like a decent spot to start a project from. Mostly depending on what engine you decide to put in it (stock 1800, or a 2.0 L upgrade)

If you are looking for a project and the owner has a clean title in his hand it's probably worth it. If you think it is some super deal that you can't possibly pass up you should think again.

Sure its a super deal. And there is for sure way over $300 in parts there. I would say just dont kid yourself and think another $300 in motor and tranny then your off and running. Its missing stuff-but thats half the fun in getting it going. I would wager you get half the little bits for free from someone when and if you buy a big part from them :wink:

busdaddy Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:46 pm

For that part of the country $300 isn't going to bite you, that doesn't look too bad, get it and buy a rotted out donor for the engine/trans, etc...

Kirk Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:09 pm

Okay, I just searched. Transmission on the high side right now is 400. Add axles, you are 600-700. Then comes what you can live with. From there you could stuff a type 1 motor in it for 500-700 if you can find a used condition unknown turnkey motor. 200 for the creative car craft filler, or make your own. At least another 100 for brake parts if your MC is good and you can do your own work. 200 in incidentals? So figure at the very least with my super conservative numbers $2300 including purchase? Now what kind of complete sorta running bus can you get for at or near that price? Now is it worth it?

ChaserWilliams Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:29 pm

I'd do it!

WhirledTraveller Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:25 pm

Kirk wrote: Okay, I just searched. Transmission on the high side right now is 400. Add axles, you are 600-700. Then comes what you can live with. From there you could stuff a type 1 motor in it for 500-700 if you can find a used condition unknown turnkey motor. 200 for the creative car craft filler, or make your own. At least another 100 for brake parts if your MC is good and you can do your own work. 200 in incidentals? So figure at the very least with my super conservative numbers $2300 including purchase? Now what kind of complete sorta running bus can you get for at or near that price? Now is it worth it?

I agree. Unfortunately this bus looks pretty stripped. It's not even a parts bus. The only reason to buy this bus is if the body is more solid than it looks and you have another bus that's rotted out but has good running gear. Otherwise this bus is worth essentially the scrap value, nothing more. I'm sure some purists will chime in about saving the bays but that's the facts. There are a LOT of parts missing.

SGKent Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:57 pm

that is an arm and leg to get it running. Your only bet is as Bus Daddy said - find a donor that is all rusted out and pull everything off it for that one. You'll have $10K in it by the time you get it running good. Another $10K if you do the body and interior up right and other $5K if you need rust work and suspension work, brakes etc.

norcalmike Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:59 pm

keep on lookin

solutionsville Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:10 pm

I would buy it. I could use the seats for sure!

JMazier Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:22 pm

I say pass...

ecdez Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:22 am

I'm in the same part of the country and I know how hard they are to find around here for that cheap. I'd probably get it. My main concern would be the dangling fuse box; is the wiring screwy?

If you are looking to restore it, you'll definatelly dump a bunch of money into it, but isn't that true for anything you restore?

If you just want to get it going cheap, I don't see where the great challenge would be. Find a tranny, and a motor. They're out there. Most of the other parts could be had relitively cheap and you get to have the fun of searching for them.

It would definatelly be a challenge, but if you're up for it, why not. They're loads of fun. It's your money, you make the call.

All of this is predicated on the fact that none of us responding know what it looks like underneath. It could be swiss cheese, or it could be solid. (If it's cheese, find another one).

ned Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:26 am

PASS

Sawsalesman Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:00 am

Hell, it doesn't even have the instrument cluster in it! Can you imagine the wiring nightmare that one would be. I'd buy it if I was going to strip it for parts but not to restore it unless I had tons of cash and no job!

nezz Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:28 pm

I would buy it! you got that money in parts on the bus. a similar bus in Portugal would cost more than 1000$

peaceful warrior Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:37 pm

I paid half that amount for a complete 73 Westy without an engine,
and the same for a complete 73 deluxe that has a Westfalia interior and running engine......just needs new Fuel pump and fuel lines. Obviously it is different out there on the East Coast. Can you find all the parts out there, cause the shipping is going to kill you, IMO.

Mal evolent Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:46 pm

compare at $1500:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/pts/1508415933.html

and $500:

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/1515551544.html