TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Who has a hard top camper shell for their double/single cab? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Long-roofs Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:59 am

Wondered where this Barndoor truck ended up. It was found around the Spokane airport in the '80's. Bought by the goof Gary Kimes and left in the field for 7 years or so. Sometime in early '90's, it was parted, in place, by some other guy, roof cut off etc... Gary found out about it, tracked the parts down and finally towed truck to his place in Harrison, Idaho.

In '94-'95, I offered to weld roof on for Gary, he declined.

You keeping the rear canopy on?

cdennisg Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 am

Last I saw it rolling away it was headed to Utah.

Grandpa's Goodies Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:03 pm

Long-roofs wrote:
You keeping the rear canopy on?

Thanks for a little more history on the bus! I had heard bits and pieces of the it but no real time frames on its past or anything about Gary.

I am keeping the camper shell and side door for now. the roof and semaphore posts just got welded back together two weeks ago.

crukab Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:42 am

OUCH !!!!!!!! #-o #-o ](*,) ](*,)

That poor truck ... :(

cdennisg Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:46 am

It was modified 40-50 years ago, when it was just another POS old VW. Only now do we ascribe an elevated status to them.

That said, the mods are actually pretty neat. That door is great access to the camping area.

motofly196 Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:45 am

This is the same truck that Jimmy almost went to jail over? That's a crazy story...kinda glad I never met Gary

cdennisg Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:47 am

motofly196 wrote: This is the same truck that Jimmy almost went to jail over? That's a crazy story...kinda glad I never met Gary

Yes.

Long-roofs Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:48 am

I was chewing the fat with The Lind yesterday, he mentioned this Barndoor truck would be a great Binz conversion. Sounds like too much responsibility for me. Either way, cool truck.