TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: American Pickers Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 54, 55, 56  Next
Long-roofs Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:40 pm

localboy wrote: Long-roofs wrote: ...plus all the free medical (medicare)...

Quote: Free: costing nothing: requiring no money to be paid

You need to take some poli-sci and economics courses. NOTHING is "free"; someone pays for it all.

I know who is paying for it, and it's not the 65 and older. So, yeah, not free, but free in a way....kinda like freedom.

bushaus Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:59 pm

chrome wrote: when they were at the ole boys place with the railroad caboose, anybody notice the VW bus emblems hanging on the barn wall ?

I did, I was hoping they'd look behind the hearse carriages and find a big load of NOS parts! Or a kubelwagen....

Russ Wolfe Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Quote: Long-roofs wrote:
...plus all the free medical (medicare)...

Look at your pay check stub.
You are paying for medicare right now. They take it out of your check every payday. Just like income tax, and Social security.
And I would like to see the person that get $2k-$5K on Social Security.
I am on Social Security, and do not get near that. Plus, they take out my $100 medicare premium every month. And Medicare does only pays about 60% of the bills. I have to buy a policy to cover the rest, and that costs me about $150 a month. And that is just for me, it does not cover my wife. So double that for her.
Then there is the Prescription plan. That cost me another $50 a month. Went in the other day to get a new prescription filled, and my plan does not cover it. It cost me $75 for one small bottle of antibiotic eye drops.

People that think Medicare is free to us retired people piss me off!!!!
Now Medicaid is a different story.

[/rant]

Fab4Fan Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:37 am

on the latest episode i thought it the guys were being rude to the first couple they went to go see.

The couple let them into their homes to check out some of their things, and the picker guys were just telling them how worthless the stuff was. And how a lot of the stuff was repro. the couple themselves said to the camera that they were offended at how they were talkng about the things. The pickers could have just said they were not interested in the things, and not talk crap.

Then the pickers got all pissed off at the girl that sent them to the house, because they wasted time

Fritter Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:53 am

Fab4Fan wrote: on the latest episode i thought it the guys were being rude to the first couple they went to go see.

The couple let them into their homes to check out some of their things, and the picker guys were just telling them how worthless the stuff was. And how a lot of the stuff was repro. the couple themselves said to the camera that they were offended at how they were talkng about the things. The pickers could have just said they were not interested in the things, and not talk crap.

Then the pickers got all pissed off at the girl that sent them to the house, because they wasted time

I took this the opposite way you did, I thought those people were idiots. They bought this house with all the "old" stuff in it and the lady was trying to make a quick buck and it didn't work out. Serves her right for not even taking the time to actually look at some of that complete shit she had. Sometimes the truth hurts.

Dunebubby Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:10 am

Fritter wrote: Fab4Fan wrote: on the latest episode i thought it the guys were being rude to the first couple they went to go see.

I took this the opposite way you did, I thought those people were idiots. They bought this house with all the "old" stuff in it and the lady was trying to make a quick buck and it didn't work out. Serves her right for not even taking the time to actually look at some of that complete shit she had. Sometimes the truth hurts.

X2 They picked up many ,(sometimes obviously) repro items with PRICE TAGS on the bottom. The couple that bought the home full of all the "goodies" should have turned things over a little more.

hiram6 Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:56 am

I'll admit I haven't read through all 8 pages of this thread, so someone may have already voiced this opinion.

Nonetheless...

Am I alone in finding this show offensive?? And I'll tell you why I do. Personal experience. My parents live 6 hours away from me, and are in their 90s. They still live on their own, because that's how they want it. We've offered to have them move in with us, move to assisted living, etc, my Dad won't even discuss it. He's a bit of a curmudgeon. :P On top of this, my Mom suffers from a form of Alzheimer's, and has some days more lucid than others.

So what does this have to do with "pickers"? Well, about 3 years ago, "some guys" knocked on their door and introduced themselves as antique dealers, and asked if they had any old furniture, appliances, or really anything they would be willing to sell.

Dad was not there, having left a few minutes before to go to the drugstore. It's like they were waiting for him to leave.

Anyway, Mom lets them in, and you can see what happens next. Here's what they got and what they paid:

.52 cal muzzle loader manufactured in the 50s - paid $20 (unknown true value
Operating Mantle clock manufactured in 1927 - paid $10 (had been valued @$1200)
Antique "Hoosier" Bakers Cabinet from the 40s - paid $25 - commonly sell for $750-1500
1960s Royal Crown Horizontal Refrigerator - working condition -paid $0

Numerous other smaller items, but those were the big items. The Royal Crown Cooler was like the one below, but in way better condition.

They got that for $0, because they told my Mom they'd "do her a favor" and take that thing to the dump for her.

All told, we figured that their 45 minutes of time spent "picking" items got them at least $4000 worth of items, maybe as much as double that. Similar Royal Crown coolers have sold for 3-5K at auction.

They left no business card, no trail. Paid her with a few $20 bills, and got out of there quick.

Not saying they guys on this show have the same ethics, but it's the same general approach.

jmsmilin Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:44 am

sounds like you need to go over there and pick yourself :D

Mr. Loaf Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:01 am

And now I am supposed to feel bad for buying a complete instrument panel for a 72 Bus that had the clock in it for a mere $10.00? This happened two years ago at a local swap meet. I asked the guy what he wanted for it and he said $10.00. Didn't know if the clock would work. I fixed the clock and sold it for 15X's what I paid for it. Do I feel bad for making the deal with this guy? Not really, he knew what he wanted for it and I was more than happy to complete the sale.

ubercrap Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:09 am

I haven't seen the show yet, but it sounds interesting. I have tried my hand at seeing interesting old cars sitting in a field, barn, back yard, etc... and tracking down the owners in the rural midwest where I grew up and have lived on and off for years. Let me tell you, not a single one was ever for sale and some people even denied or didn't even know what was there and disinterested in finding out. Later, some old cars I was interested in were covered up with tarps with "not for sale" spraypainted on them after I inquired through a third party. All were extremely rude and highly suspicious. I'm talking people with houses/barns collapsing type stuff. I tried to explain to them who I was, that I wasn't some outsider city slicker, I knew various family members, knew the people down the road, etc... but they wouldn't have any of it. If these guys can even get close to the stuff, I can't imagine how they do it, but maybe if I watch it, I'll find out.

coad Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:46 am

Russ Wolfe wrote: Quote: Long-roofs wrote:

Look at your pay check stub.
You are paying for medicare right now. They take it out of your check every payday. Just like income tax, and Social security.
And I would like to see the person that get $2k-$5K on Social Security.
I am on Social Security, and do not get near that. Plus, they take out my $100 medicare premium every month. And Medicare does only pays about 60% of the bills. I have to buy a policy to cover the rest, and that costs me about $150 a month. And that is just for me, it does not cover my wife. So double that for her.
Then there is the Prescription plan. That cost me another $50 a month. Went in the other day to get a new prescription filled, and my plan does not cover it. It cost me $75 for one small bottle of antibiotic eye drops.

[/rant]

I would kill to have insurance that good and that cheap.

WM971252 Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:55 am

hiram6 wrote: I'll admit I haven't read through all 8 pages of this thread, so someone may have already voiced this opinion.

Nonetheless...

Am I alone in finding this show offensive?? And I'll tell you why I do. Personal experience. My parents live 6 hours away from me, and are in their 90s. They still live on their own, because that's how they want it. We've offered to have them move in with us, move to assisted living, etc, my Dad won't even discuss it. He's a bit of a curmudgeon. :P On top of this, my Mom suffers from a form of Alzheimer's, and has some days more lucid than others.

So what does this have to do with "pickers"? Well, about 3 years ago, "some guys" knocked on their door and introduced themselves as antique dealers, and asked if they had any old furniture, appliances, or really anything they would be willing to sell.

Dad was not there, having left a few minutes before to go to the drugstore. It's like they were waiting for him to leave.

Anyway, Mom lets them in, and you can see what happens next. Here's what they got and what they paid:

Antique "Hoosier" Bakers Cabinet from the 40s - paid $25 - commonly sell for $750-1500

Numerous other smaller items, but those were the big items. The Royal Crown Cooler was like the one below, but in way better condition.

They got that for $0, because they told my Mom they'd "do her a favor" and take that thing to the dump for her.

All told, we figured that their 45 minutes of time spent "picking" items got them at least $4000 worth of items, maybe as much as double that. Similar Royal Crown coolers have sold for 3-5K at auction.

They left no business card, no trail. Paid her with a few $20 bills, and got out of there quick.

Not saying they guys on this show have the same ethics, but it's the same general approach.

Yes that Kinda sucks but that is the real life. My Grandmother (94) thinks all the stuff she has that is junk is worth a mint and all the good stuff is junk. Her Shirley Temple picture is destroyed from being used every Christmas for gravy along with the cut glass dogs (good one) for olives.

She has a spool cabinet (American Thread) that is full of drill bits that she knows what she paid for them and thinks that they are still worth that (even though they are all rusty). Basically the drill bits are scrap at best, the cabinet was worth an easy $250 but is wrecked due to all the rusting from the bits. We have explained it to her over and over again but she will never believe us.

What you need to be doing is trying to teach them the value of their stuff and not blaming people that paid what they were asked to pay for the stuff.

Keldog Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:43 am

21-window wrote:

Man I'll never understand that. Professional tells them (right in front of the customer) that it's worth 15k. The pawn dude turns around and offers the customer 7k AND THEY TAKE IT!.. WTF!
well to get that "15k" they'd have to put it in auction or list it somewhere and deal with all the questions and tire kickers while the 7k is cash in hand on the spot. it's the nature of the biz. they let you know they've got to make money off it. i've seen some on the show walk, willing to wait out a higher bidder but more often than not, if you're at a pawn shop trying to sell something, you're hurtin' for dough!! same thing with these guys on american pickers, they're not gonna pay retail.

Fritter Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:53 am

Yes it does sound like these guys took advantage and should be kicked in the nuts. Might as well have stolen it all.

But the point is if the "picker" comes around and offers a fair price to these old curmudgeons, they should most likely take it because the stuff will most likely end up in the dump when they die.

hiram6 wrote: I'll admit I haven't read through all 8 pages of this thread, so someone may have already voiced this opinion.

Nonetheless...

hiram6 Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:34 pm

Yeah, it's not LIKE they stole items, they DID steal items. We talked to the police, the DA, and a lawyer, and the consensus was that they could be prosecuted for THEFT BY TAKING, since they knowingly took advantage of someone not completely competent. My Mom's Alzheimer's is obvious, even to a layperson. The catch-22 is that the same condition that makes her such an easy target for things like this, also makes her a completely useless witness to testify even if they were tracked down. Regardless, we had nothing to go on. Two white males in a white van. To fit all they took from my parents house, it almost had to be box truck or at the least a Sprinter van. Still, not enough of a description to investigate. Mom's not good at remembering details, remember?

None of these items would have gone to the dump, as someone suggested above, others in the family knew the value of these items, and they would have stayed in the family. Dad knew the value and would have never sold these things, but he wasn't there.

Also, I doubt seriously my Mom proposed any prices to these guys. I wasn't there, but I'd bet my paycheck the conversation went along the lines of:

"I'll take this old gun off your hands, it's not worth much though, maybe ten or twenty dollars. Tell you what I'll be generous, I'll give you twenty?"

You guys can say it's the real world, blah-blah, but the reality is that there are "pickers" out there taking advantage of people, and that is still despicable, not matter how much of a capitalist you are.

Also had someone PM me saying I was on crack with some of the values I placed on these items, specifically the Royal Crown Cooler. 5 minutes of research turned up this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/kelvinator-180-royal-crown-col...27aefa9669

And, no, it's not the exact one taken from my parents house. This one on eBay has a lot of wear that doesn't match up to what I remember

Oh well, off my soapbox, back to your dreams of finding a mint 66 bus under a tarp in someone's barn. :D

Braukuche Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:09 pm

hiram6 wrote: Yeah, it's not LIKE they stole items, they DID steal items. We talked to the police, the DA, and a lawyer, and the consensus was that they could be prosecuted for THEFT BY TAKING, since they knowingly took advantage of someone not completely competent. My Mom's Alzheimer's is obvious, even to a layperson. The catch-22 is that the same condition that makes her such an easy target for things like this, also makes her a completely useless witness to testify even if they were tracked down. Regardless, we had nothing to go on. Two white males in a white van. To fit all they took from my parents house, it almost had to be box truck or at the least a Sprinter van. Still, not enough of a description to investigate. Mom's not good at remembering details, remember?

None of these items would have gone to the dump, as someone suggested above, others in the family knew the value of these items, and they would have stayed in the family. Dad knew the value and would have never sold these things, but he wasn't there.

Also, I doubt seriously my Mom proposed any prices to these guys. I wasn't there, but I'd bet my paycheck the conversation went along the lines of:

"I'll take this old gun off your hands, it's not worth much though, maybe ten or twenty dollars. Tell you what I'll be generous, I'll give you twenty?"

You guys can say it's the real world, blah-blah, but the reality is that there are "pickers" out there taking advantage of people, and that is still despicable, not matter how much of a capitalist you are.

Also had someone PM me saying I was on crack with some of the values I placed on these items, specifically the Royal Crown Cooler. 5 minutes of research turned up this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/kelvinator-180-royal-crown-col...27aefa9669

And, no, it's not the exact one taken from my parents house. This one on eBay has a lot of wear that doesn't match up to what I remember

Oh well, off my soapbox, back to your dreams of finding a mint 66 bus under a tarp in someone's barn. :D

I watched an excellent documentary on the Holocaust and there were many Poles and Germans who paid next to nothing for jewelry desperate Jews locked in Ghettos were selling to buy food. That is of course an extreme case of taking advantage of people and your Grandmother's case ranks up there. Its another paying next to nothing for something of value that a competent person is selling because they never looked into the value of it.

Keldog Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:22 pm

DownRiver wrote: hugheseum wrote: i dont have cable...or tv for that matter but my mother watched it and said she could imagine me being like the depiction of the characters.

i just bought a bus and i told the owner exactly what was right and wrong with it,i explained that he might get more than i would pay by putting it on ebay.....

i told him what my plans would be for it and that the only reason i was still standing there was because the bus was so original....he told me he understood that these buses "all fixed up" were worth big money at auction.....i explained that might be true,but the costs of a proper restoration would be greater than the "big money" one would get back.

i explained what i would do and they money it will cost not factoring time involved.......i also explained what it would be worth on a low after my work $15k and the uber high $30k.......

no smoke/mirrors,no shifty eyes,i dont do any of that shit,i actually just tell them the truth and it seems to work,funny how when you are genuine with folks they let their walls down...

i was actually hoping he wouldnt take my offer but he did,full well knowing what i had planned......to resell for "gasp" a profit!

still i had one local email me crying....damn,i was gonna buy that bus....its just so sad that you bought it to resell......i couldnt help but ask why he didnt buy it then.......then i had to wonder "well what would happen if someone else did get it?" my conclusion is/was that i was actually probably one of the best buyers for the bus,i will be cleaning it up and putting it back into circulation...............what would most do?

most will take it part way apart,lose pieces,likely the car will deteriorate further because of short funds,lack of experience,lack of an idea what kind of work and time it will take to make "right" and possibly even throw in the towel...or worse customize it,run it till something breaks then pass along the remains

my method will take a shitload of work,and a dainty pile of cash,but the bus will be better off for it and the new owner will be able to drive away

still there will be some dimwit who will say "oh,what a flipper" if only people could understand just how hard it can be to make money off of old cars/junk

Man, you love you some you.
LOL...get a tv fucker!!!

crofty Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:56 pm

Keldog wrote: DownRiver wrote: hugheseum wrote: i dont have cable...or tv for that matter but my mother watched it and said she could imagine me being like the depiction of the characters.

i just bought a bus and i told the owner exactly what was right and wrong with it,i explained that he might get more than i would pay by putting it on ebay.....

i told him what my plans would be for it and that the only reason i was still standing there was because the bus was so original....he told me he understood that these buses "all fixed up" were worth big money at auction.....i explained that might be true,but the costs of a proper restoration would be greater than the "big money" one would get back.

i explained what i would do and they money it will cost not factoring time involved.......i also explained what it would be worth on a low after my work $15k and the uber high $30k.......

no smoke/mirrors,no shifty eyes,i dont do any of that shit,i actually just tell them the truth and it seems to work,funny how when you are genuine with folks they let their walls down...

i was actually hoping he wouldnt take my offer but he did,full well knowing what i had planned......to resell for "gasp" a profit!

still i had one local email me crying....damn,i was gonna buy that bus....its just so sad that you bought it to resell......i couldnt help but ask why he didnt buy it then.......then i had to wonder "well what would happen if someone else did get it?" my conclusion is/was that i was actually probably one of the best buyers for the bus,i will be cleaning it up and putting it back into circulation...............what would most do?

most will take it part way apart,lose pieces,likely the car will deteriorate further because of short funds,lack of experience,lack of an idea what kind of work and time it will take to make "right" and possibly even throw in the towel...or worse customize it,run it till something breaks then pass along the remains

my method will take a shitload of work,and a dainty pile of cash,but the bus will be better off for it and the new owner will be able to drive away

still there will be some dimwit who will say "oh,what a flipper" if only people could understand just how hard it can be to make money off of old cars/junk

Man, you love you some you.
LOL...get a tv fucker!!!

Adam, I stopped giving a shit what people thought about me when I was 16. Try it out it's much easier on your constitution.

Russ Wolfe Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:23 pm

coad wrote: Russ Wolfe wrote: Quote: Long-roofs wrote:

[/rant]

I would kill to have insurance that good and that cheap.

Our Medicare premiums are over 10% of our SS income. Plus, I have had been paying Medicare premiums out of my paycheck from 1965 until 2008 when I retired. Just like FICA withholding, if I could have had that money myself, I could have invested it and been a lot better off.
And, a lot of Dr's now days will not take Medicare patients. Because Medicare reimbursal is so low.

Hellaslow Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:10 pm

did you see how cheap they bought that pepsi cooler (blue) from that lady that lived in the 80,000sq ft building...

like 25bux.. i was like WTF!!!

i can't find one like that for under 100 bux...