TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: rear light wiring! annoying!
VW4DW Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:28 pm

i've tried just about everything!
okay so, 98% of my lights work now.
except for rear right brake light. All the turn signals work including the rear right one. how can i fix this?
any ideas?

ive tried hooking up a wire from the left brake light wire to the right brake wire, and when i do that, i can actually get BOTH brake lights working, except when the right turn signal is on!!

so frustrating!!

dakdak Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:45 pm

Quote: i've tried just about everything!
okay so, 98% of my lights work now.
except for rear right brake light. All the turn signals work including the rear right one. how can i fix this?
any ideas?

ive tried hooking up a wire from the left brake light wire to the right brake wire, and when i do that, i can actually get BOTH brake lights working, except when the right turn signal is on!!

so frustrating!!

Try the grounding of the reflector to the housing. I had this problem, and cleaned the tab on the reflector where it goes into the housing, and just bent it that little bit more to give it better grounding. Also, try the electrical tabs the light bulb makes contact with. Just a little bend towards the light bulb base to give better contact.

See how you go, and let us know.

Cheers

Boom Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:21 pm

its dirty connectors probably where the bulb grounds in the socket try cleaning the socket up and twisting the light several times, it fixed mine when I had the problem

VW4DW Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:07 pm

ive tried all of that =[

puttin slow Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:30 pm

burn it. no j/k if the above said doesn't work then you need a voltage meter to see whats going on as far as power. 99% of my electrical problems were from a bad ground so REALLY start there. Scratch the paint off, use sand paper. What ever you have to do, do it. Multimeter/voltage meter would be helpful to see if your even getting power back there.

Ronny Bailey Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:09 am

puttin slow wrote: Multimeter/voltage meter would be helpful to see if your even getting power back there. x2
You can get a simple digital meter for less than $20.
They're easy to use and can save a lot of time when you're chasing down electrical problems.

Navy8R Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:32 am

X10!!! Get a multi-meter (Volts, Ohms, Amps)

Follow the steps I outlined on your previous post regarding this problem. YOU HAVE A GROUND PROBLEM BETWEEN THE BULB HOUSING AND THE MAIN BODY OF THE CAR!!!

Could be between the socket and the lens housing, could be between the lens housing and the fender, and it could be between the fender and the body - BUT IT IS A GROUND PROBLEM.

In your original post you said two of the lights did not work. After you proved it wasn't the bulbs you test for voltage at the terminal inside the respective bulb socket(s). If there is 10-12 volts present when the bulb should be illuminated the only thing left is the ground.

Now before you ask, 'then why would any bulb work on the right rear?' I'll tell you first that I don't know but the working bulb is "finding" a path to ground somehow. I had this EXACT problem before, twice, and the problem was the ground. The procedure I have outlined is just good troubleshooting. When dealing with electrical problems you need to follow a logical, methodical process from one point to the other and if you do you'll find the problem every time. Good luck, and try not to get too frustrated.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=394287&highlight=