TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rethwish stroker project finished
Braukuche Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:19 pm

After a year or so, I finally finished this little project up. Its a 3 series 36hp with a vintage EMPI pre-Okrasa 69.5 stroker crank, vintage Rethwish dual carb kit with aluminum intakes and stock Solex 28 PCI carbs, vintage Porsche OT threaded pulley and Porsche flywheel, 010 distributor, vintage Knecht air cleaner (looking for one more), vintage Crowe cam,engine completely balanced, case decked and savers installed and a larger oil pump. Once I figured out the firing order it fired right up and ran smooth. Reved like no 36 I've ever experienced and sounded nice and throaty. Even idled smooth and I haven't even balanced the carbs yet! It will eventually go in a '60 Beetle convertible I am building for my wife.

EverettB Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:04 pm

Cool!

How does the carburetor linkage work? I can't really see it.

Braukuche Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:11 am

EverettB wrote: Cool!

How does the carburetor linkage work? I can't really see it.

It consist of a metal bar running horizontally from one carb throttle to the other. It has two small rigid bars held in clamps which pivot on the bar and the small rigid bars are in turn attached with a stock barrel clamp to the carb throttle plate. Sort of an odd set up and I wondered if it would really work, but it did, thankfully...at least on the bench.

empiracer Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:42 pm

Looks nice , It would be cool to see You tube of it running.

ProjectX Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:56 pm

Can you show some decent pictures of the linkage at the carburetor?

Braukuche Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:15 pm

56OvalRHD wrote: Can you show some decent pictures of the linkage at the carburetor?

Here you go

ProjectX Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:21 pm

Braukuche wrote: 56OvalRHD wrote: Can you show some decent pictures of the linkage at the carburetor?

Here you go

Thanks!

sub-hatchtim Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:24 am

right on i wana see that 58 pgsg

Braukuche Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:17 am

sub-hatchtim wrote: right on i wana see that 58 pgsg

There you go...

sub-hatchtim Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:08 pm

very kool

jz56oval Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:28 pm

Hey

Just curious how these carbs ran? Any issues with the linkage set up? Easy tuning?

Thanks